Lightening Safety Awareness Week

Started by SGOS, June 29, 2018, 03:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 02:00:11 AM
I recall reading once that, had Franklin conducted his famous lightning experiment as he described it, it would have likely killed him...  Not that I'm going to duplicate it to check either way...

At the very least he was insulated ... or conducted it from a safe distance, not like the patriotic drivel pictures we were given.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 02:00:11 AM
I recall reading once that, had Franklin conducted his famous lightning experiment as he described it, it would have likely killed him...  Not that I'm going to duplicate it to check either way...
He was indoors when he was flying the kite, IIRC.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Your kite is so small ... did you hire the Spinal Tap choreographers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyh1Va_mYWI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It only looks small because it's so far away...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 02, 2018, 07:10:21 PM
It only looks small because it's so far away...

Well that is an interesting "perspective" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I'll have to dig out the video I shot about ten years ago; there was quite a storm in the area and I was shooting the lightning, and completely by chance happened to catch the entire life cycle of a bolt.  In the space of about 20 frames there was one frame with the stepped leader appearing from the clouds, a couple frames of a positive streamer crawling up the side of the building next door (about ten meters away), followed by a lightning bolt about a mile away connecting with the precise spot the stepped leader had appearedâ€"fortunately not from the streamer right in front of me.

All of that in less than a second.  Alas, not in glorious HD, but I caught it.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Regular lightning with sprites at the same time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14OZ95hqGA

These are dangerous to airplanes and re-entering space craft.  The ionosphere needs to discharge, too.

In Unbelievers slow motion film, aren't those ball-lightings forming in the path of the main bold?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, and apparently the first one to contact the ground gives a path to the rest of the bolt.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 03, 2018, 07:34:33 PM
Yeah, and apparently the first one to contact the ground gives a path to the rest of the bolt.

Same thing happens if you touch a live wire ... if you are the best conductor, it will chose you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS