We're screwed: Anthony Kennedy retiring.

Started by trdsf, June 27, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Rosenstein is going all over Kavanaugh ... for every traffic ticket.  But that is OK.  Kavanaugh is anti-net-neutrality.  On the basis that ISPs have unlimited private power to control who gets on the Internet, and regulate (regulate) what can be said there.  So he is anti-free-speech.  All free speech should be corporate, not private ... because corporations not only are "persons" but are super-persons.  And they can be the bulwark of freedom from the MIC ... bwahaha.

Yes, definitely a very bad nominee.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

The Democrats will blow a lot of hot air, but I have little doubt he'll be confirmed, and then all is lost, the American experiment will have failed (if it hasn't already done so).
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 12, 2018, 01:45:10 PM
The Democrats will blow a lot of hot air, but I have little doubt he'll be confirmed, and then all is lost, the American experiment will have failed (if it hasn't already done so).
Eh, I don't think it's that bad.  It'll make the Supreme Court out of step with the public and we can no longer expect obviously horrendous stuff to get struck down by the courts.  But an election or two later and it's likely that the Dems will be able to make their pick, provided that they don't get stymied by Republican legislators.

Unbeliever

Well, you're more optimistic than I, but I hope you're right.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2018, 12:53:28 AM
Funny, he didn't think presidents should be exempt when he was a researcher for Witchhunter General Ken Starr... frankly, the fact that he worked on the Starr investigation at all should disqualify him.  That wasn't an investigation, it was a desperate and unjustified attempted coup d'etat.

Kavanaugh is probably going to be the most rightist Justice since Thomas (and that takers some real effort) and will ruin the Supreme  Court for 4 decades.  He can't be allowed.  The Supreme Court should always be centrist and apolitical to the extent possible.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 12, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
Eh, I don't think it's that bad.  It'll make the Supreme Court out of step with the public and we can no longer expect obviously horrendous stuff to get struck down by the courts.  But an election or two later and it's likely that the Dems will be able to make their pick, provided that they don't get stymied by Republican legislators.

I would love to share your optimism, but I don't...

Ginsburg is reaching retirement/dying age at 85, and could realistically do either within the next two years, and certainly in the next 6 if Trump get's reelected as I fear. When she is gone, that's going to make 6 of the 9 Justices Republican appointees, and 3 of those being Trump's picks.

Even after Trump's second term, none of the Republican Justices will be over the age of 75... and we need two of them to resign or die to throw things back into balance.

For the forseeable 10-15 years, the Supreme Court is going to have a Republican majority, and half of those will be Trump's selections (and two from Bush). 10-15 years is a long time for them to do some serious damage.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 03:04:39 AM
Kavanaugh is probably going to be the most rightist Justice since Thomas (and that takers some real effort) and will ruin the Supreme  Court for 4 decades.  He can't be allowed.  The Supreme Court should always be centrist and apolitical to the extent possible.

Is that you Agent Strzok?  That tweet sounds familiar.  Arrest the Democrats for treason first ...

Crickets regarding the threat to the Internet and free speech.  Virtue signaling from men who worry about legal abortion (they will never get pregnant).

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 13, 2018, 04:41:18 AM
I would love to share your optimism, but I don't...

Ginsburg is reaching retirement/dying age at 85, and could realistically do either within the next two years, and certainly in the next 6 if Trump get's reelected as I fear. When she is gone, that's going to make 6 of the 9 Justices Republican appointees, and 3 of those being Trump's picks.

Even after Trump's second term, none of the Republican Justices will be over the age of 75... and we need two of them to resign or die to throw things back into balance.

For the forseeable 10-15 years, the Supreme Court is going to have a Republican majority, and half of those will be Trump's selections (and two from Bush). 10-15 years is a long time for them to do some serious damage.

The Supreme Court, by McConnell's machinations will be right wing for decades.  Good bye civil liberties, good bye regulations of any sort.  Hello. climate change, hello bad abortions, Hello, gerrymandering, authoritarianism, and the death of America as tye bulwark of democracy....

Baruch

Too late ...

Upholding Citizens United ... to pay off plutocracy ...

Upholding ACA ... for tax predation reasons ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2018, 07:25:23 AM
Arrest the Democrats for treason first ...
I expect that will be happening before too much longer: false flag attack, blame the Democratic party, then outlaw the Democratic party, then arrest/execute Democrats.

Hopefully I'll be dead before then.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2018, 02:05:03 PM
I expect that will be happening before too much longer: false flag attack, blame the Democratic party, then outlaw the Democratic party, then arrest/execute Democrats.

You can always change to Independent.  Don't change to Republican, they are going to FEMA next.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't need to change to anything, since I'm already nothing at all.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2018, 07:16:17 PM
I don't need to change to anything, since I'm already nothing at all.

That is your biggest illusion ... says Yoda to elderly Luke in the new movie ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2018, 02:05:03 PM

Well, at least fight before you die...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 03:18:38 AM
Well, at least fight before you die...

Yes.  Politics = you and him go fight.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.