We're screwed: Anthony Kennedy retiring.

Started by trdsf, June 27, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 02, 2018, 07:00:11 PM
But SCOTUS judges never stand for re-election. They're in for life, or until they retire. Can they ever be impeached?

Yes. "Only one justice has been impeached by the House of Representatives (Samuel Chase, March 1804), but he was acquitted in the Senate (March 1805)." ... maybe he forgot to wear anything under those robes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

But SCOTUS judges never stand for re-election. They're in for life, or until they retire. Can they ever be impeached?

They probably could, but two republicans and how ever many democrats I'm sure would not be enough.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 02, 2018, 07:13:09 PM
They probably could, but two republicans and how ever many democrats I'm sure would not be enough.

In the one example I cited ... the associate justice was impeached, but not convicted because President Jefferson didn't like him.  Something about "political bias" in the bench ... cough cough.  Well that would never happen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Yes, but it's as long and drawn out a process as a presidential one.  It hasn't been tried against a Supreme Court justice since 1804, and that failed largely because it was obviously politically motivated, a desperate attempt to clear a Federalist nominee off the bench so Jefferson could replace him with a Jeffersonian Democratic-Republican, and the Congress has had little appetite for further impeachments at that level.

Interestingly, there's a body of opinion that Clarence Thomas could be subject to impeachment as there's evidence he lied during his testimony to the Senate before his confirmation. I'd hope they hold off until someone saner than the current occupant is in place to name a successor...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Poison Tree

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 01, 2018, 11:16:23 PM
Well it looks like at least two Republican senators are going to oppose any candidate willing to overturn Roe v Wade, so it hasn't all gone against us.
I'll be surprised if any nominee actually gives their honest opinion about Roe v Wade.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/03/20/no-there-is-no-way-to-force-supreme-court-nominees-to-give-revealing-answers/?utm_term=.630c64021ada
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Baruch

Given the complete unconstitutionality of how ACA was defended in the Roberts court ... that Congress has unlimited power to tax (per eminent domain now interpreted not as pressing national interest, but whim (in prior SCOTUS decision)) ... expect to be taxed at 100% of income and property.  Y'all will love the USSA they are planning.  Free stuff for everyone!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 02, 2018, 01:15:07 PM
Any candidate only has to lie and say they won't overturn it, that they believe in stare decisis, that Roe v Wade is settled law, then they'll be confirmed and once they're on the bench they can do whatever they want and no one can do a thing about it.

Yes, lying about intent is the usual strategy of SCOTUS nominnees these days.  Say as little as possible even when the past clearly shows what they would do.  Let the next election decide!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Surprise surprise, Trump picked a deeply conservative, partisan Republican veteran for Supreme Court in Kavanaugh.

Funny enough, for as much as he works out for the Republicans... he also has a history of saying president's should be exempt for civil and criminal investigations and litigation until after their term ends. How convenient...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 10, 2018, 05:20:56 AM
Surprise surprise, Trump picked a deeply conservative, partisan Republican veteran for Supreme Court in Kavanaugh.

Funny enough, for as much as he works out for the Republicans... he also has a history of saying president's should be exempt for civil and criminal investigations and litigation until after their term ends. How convenient...

There weren't any communists available.  Too bad the SCOTUS simply can't be abolished.  If the whole Federal government were abolished the two major dog parties would have less bone to fight over.

First step ... the Communist Party is illegal, so make the Democrat party illegal for the same reasons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on July 10, 2018, 05:20:56 AM

Funny, he didn't think presidents should be exempt when he was a researcher for Witchhunter General Ken Starr... frankly, the fact that he worked on the Starr investigation at all should disqualify him.  That wasn't an investigation, it was a desperate and unjustified attempted coup d'etat.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2018, 12:53:28 AM
Funny, he didn't think presidents should be exempt when he was a researcher for Witchhunter General Ken Starr... frankly, the fact that he worked on the Starr investigation at all should disqualify him.  That wasn't an investigation, it was a desperate and unjustified attempted coup d'etat.

Elections are coup de etat.  But civilized and bloodless.  Without change of guard, we would have tyranny indeed.  What Ds wanted since Nov 2016 is a counter coup, outside of legality ... because as in 1861, they don't accept the result of the election (not to claim any election is legitimate, none of them are).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2018, 12:53:28 AM
Yeah, now that was a witch hunt!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 11, 2018, 02:09:55 PM
Yeah, now that was a witch hunt!

I would have burned Bill C at the stake myself!  Hillary too, but only if she volunteered for sutti.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

They used to be lousy cooks in the old days - that's why there were so many burned steaks...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 11, 2018, 11:01:47 PM
They used to be lousy cooks in the old days - that's why there were so many burned steaks...

A country with sacred cows?  There aren't supposed to be any steaks ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.