We're screwed: Anthony Kennedy retiring.

Started by trdsf, June 27, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteEngland doesn't have a written constitution.

O...kay?

The paper doesn't have to say "Constitution of England" at the top to be a constitution. British government is still regulated by an uncodified constitution, which is composed of hundreds of years worth of rules and regulations on what powers the government does or doesn't have. There are books upon books upon books of legal text dictating the authority the monarchy and the Parliament have, which all parties involved agree are binding texts (even if they don't always obey them).

QuoteYes, having people just show up, who were eligible, each day, up to the first 4000 guys ... pretty much pure democracy (for those qualified).

So you are agreeing then it wasn't a Republic.

Thanks.

@Draconic Aiur , I have provided evidence why my position is right using definitions and examples... either provide evidence why your position is right and I will be more than happy to consider it, or save yourself some embarrassment, because "Nuh uh! U STOOPID!" is the argument of a three year old. You aren't going to convince anyone of anything other than you have no clue what you are actually talking about.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 07:12:47 PM
O...kay?

The paper doesn't have to say "Constitution of England" at the top to be a constitution. British government is still regulated by an uncodified constitution, which is composed of hundreds of years worth of rules and regulations on what powers the government does or doesn't have. There are books upon books upon books of legal text dictating the authority the monarchy and the Parliament have, which all parties involved agree are binding texts (even if they don't always obey them).

So you are agreeing then it wasn't a Republic.

Thanks.

@Draconic Aiur , I have provided evidence why my position is right using definitions and examples... either provide evidence why your position is right and I will be more than happy to consider it, or save yourself some embarrassment, because "Nuh uh! U STOOPID!" is the argument of a three year old. You aren't going to convince anyone of anything other than you have no clue what you are actually talking about.

Yet your saying our government is a democracy and also a republic is a sub category democracy.

A republic uses democracy but isn't a democracy in itself

https://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q76.html

QuoteThe United States is a federal republic and a constitutional representative democracy.

In no way is it just a democracy.

Shiranu

QuoteIn no way is it just a democracy.

I never said it was.

QuoteYet your saying our government is a democracy and also a republic is a sub category democracy.

Because it is.

That's how it can be a republic AND a democracy... because Republics fall under the branch of democracy. You literally just quoted something that says exactly that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 07:26:36 PM
I never said it was.

A Republic IS a democracy.

Because it is.

That's how it can be a republic AND a democracy... because Republics fall under the branch of democracy. You literally just quoted something that says exactly that.

My brain hurts

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 28, 2018, 07:33:33 PM

My brain hurts

A republic is a form of democracy -> therefor, I am saying it by definition cannot be just a democracy.

A federal republic requires a democratic system to exist... you could not have a federal republic in say a dictatorship, or a government run by an aristocracy. Thus, a federal republic (or more simply, a republic) requires a democratic government to exist. So it is a subset of democracy.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 07:38:06 PM
A republic is a form of democracy -> therefor, I am saying it by definition cannot be just a democracy.

A federal republic requires a democratic system to exist... you could not have a federal republic in say a dictatorship, or a government run by an aristocracy. Thus, a federal republic (or more simply, a republic) requires a democratic government to exist. So it is a subset of democracy.

No it isn't and you did say a republic is a democracy

Like saying Beer is a form of wine because it has alcohol.

aitm

SO............anyhoo......me thinks that this will be the shitfest of ALL shitfests and it won't stop until it is the greatest shitfest of the entire shitfest universe.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

QuoteNo it isn't and you did say a republic is a democracy

You keep on changing what you said I said, so I will just answer them at the same time.

Yes, I said republics are a form of democracy.

No, I did not say that it is just a democracy.

QuoteLike saying Beer is a form of wine because it has alcohol.

I actually really like that you used this analogy, because it helps me explain it alot better. I am not saying that republics are beers and democracies wine however. What I am saying is...

Government = alcohol.
Democracy = wine.
Republic = a specific type of wine.

An example... I went out and bought a bottle of wine (government), specifically a red porto (democracy) made by Sandeman (republic). Sandeman describes what type of red porto it is, and red porto describes what type of wine it is... and the fact that it is wine indicates that it is alcohol. Republic describes what type of democracy it is, and democracy describes what type of government it is.

It is all alcohol, and it is all wine, but the specifics of what type of wine it is can vary. Likewise it is all government, and it is all democracy, but the type of democracy it is can vary, with a Republic being one of those variations.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
You keep on changing what you said I said, so I will just answer them at the same time.

I actually really like that you used this analogy, because it helps me explain it alot better. I am not saying that republics are beers and democracies wine however. What I am saying is...

Government = alcohol.
Democracy = wine.

An example... I went out and bought a bottle of wine (government), specifically a red porto (democracy) made by Sandeman (republic). Sandeman describes what type of red porto it is, and red porto describes what type of wine it is... and the fact that it is wine indicates that it is alcohol. Republic describes what type of democracy it is, and democracy describes what type of government it is.

It is all alcohol, and it is all wine, but the specifics of what type of wine it is can vary. Likewise it is all government, and it is all democracy, but the type of democracy it is can vary, with a Republic being one of those variations.

Are you trolling me? Because I think your trolling m or not reading what you type.

Shiranu

No, but I have to wonder the same about your posts.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 08:14:52 PM

Government = alcohol.
Democracy = wine.

Impressive!  And don't mistake my brevity for any disagreement.  I really am impressed.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 09:39:53 PM
No, but I have to wonder the same about your posts.

I pay little attention to him/her...  I seldom find any sense there.

Draconic Aiur

You can't argue with stupid it seems.

And stupid often multiplies.