News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Every State in the US

Started by pr126, June 27, 2018, 09:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I think the more extreme anyone's political (or religious) stance the less likely they are to be willing to compromise. Any compromise is seen as a betrayal of "the cause."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 02:07:35 PM
I think the more extreme anyone's political (or religious) stance the less likely they are to be willing to compromise. Any compromise is seen as a betrayal of "the cause."

Extremism is sometimes the reaction to extremism.  It can be changed.

When I was first starting my career, I was sent to a resolution training class.  Most of the class involved letting people express anger or seeing how a situation could have been resolved.  I was assigned the role of a manager ignoring a subordinate. 

So I played the part,  When the subordinate came to my desk, I put up my feet and put a newspaper in front of me.  When she expressed her complaints, I kept the newspaper up and offerred her a long lunch period for the day. 

After the event, she said that "was just like him" and she got a chance to express her anger (to me and I took it calmly - it was a class).

Then I was a boss being asked for more office space (with assigned goals for each person).  In that one I refused, demanding something in return (some space I wanted).  In that one I made the classmate negotiate, something he had never done before in reality.  We both got our assigned goals and the classmate was shocked. 

The class instructor asked me to be an assistant but I had to point out that I was doing better than that, LOL!

So, yeah, I can negotiate around the Center...  Given a chance.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

That's pretty much exactly it.  You can't compromise with someone to whom compromise is blasphemy, and moreso whose opposition to an idea is based not on the idea itself, but on who's proposing it -- witness the Republican rejection of the ACA as an Obama proposal in 2010, followed by their nomination in 2012 of the very person whose idea it was in the first place: Mitt Romney.

Sometimes I think the quickest way to get the GOP off of the idea of tax cuts über alles would be to have Obama and Hillary and Speaker Pelosi come out strongly in favor of them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 09, 2018, 04:15:11 PM
That's pretty much exactly it.  You can't compromise with someone to whom compromise is blasphemy, and moreso whose opposition to an idea is based not on the idea itself, but on who's proposing it -- witness the Republican rejection of the ACA as an Obama proposal in 2010, followed by their nomination in 2012 of the very person whose idea it was in the first place: Mitt Romney.

Sometimes I think the quickest way to get the GOP off of the idea of tax cuts über alles would be to have Obama and Hillary and Speaker Pelosi come out strongly in favor of them.

It is easy to agree with you.  But I bet Baruch will manage to disagree., LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Eh, I don't know about that.  I have plenty of "radical" positions (like single payer or living wage) and I'm willing to accept half measures, provided of course that it's understood as a temporary solution and lobbying for the actual position will resume in the future.

Unbeliever

I don't consider either single payer or living wage to be radical, but then, I guess I'd be considered fairly left by many.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 02:02:44 PM
I understand your meaning.  But we have to reach the center from both sides.  Giving in on one side just re-defines the Center badly.   I want the beat the Far Right into submission and I make no bones about that.  But I still want a country where the Center holds.

We have too much "die on the battlefronts" and I am guilty as well.  But the farther the Right goes, the Lefter I move in response.  Its a defensive balance mechanism.

But I could go Centrist at the drop of a hat.  Could Far Righters?

As a centrist, I want to beat 2/3 of the US into a pulp.  The middle third stays, the rest of you have to go.

Living wage and single payer isn't that radical.  You get it by joining the military.  When I see all of you at my place of work, then you will have arrived!

Or we can just draft the entire population.  But you won't like boot camp.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 07:44:41 PM
I don't consider either single payer or living wage to be radical, but then, I guess I'd be considered fairly left by many.
They're not.  They're center-left.  But that's like ultra communism to the insane right-wing "sensible" position.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 27, 2018, 07:04:09 PM
I've been in 25 of the states, so far. I don't expect to visit any more of them, though, since the ones I haven't been in aren't worth the trouble. ;-)
Not sure how many I've been in, but I've driven from coast to coast twice and once from the southern Canadian broader to the last of the Fla Keys.  And I've lived in 6 different states--not to mention several emotional states.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 09, 2018, 11:08:03 PM
Not sure how many I've been in, but I've driven from coast to coast twice and once from the southern Canadian broader to the last of the Fla Keys.  And I've lived in 6 different states--not to mention several emotional states.

Most of you should ... live in the hippie/gay area of San Francisco.  Just sayin'.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 09, 2018, 11:08:03 PM
When I was much younger I used to hitchhike - a lot - racked up something in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles, all told.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2018, 06:48:51 AM
Most of you should ... live in the hippie/gay area of San Francisco.  Just sayin'.
The word "should" is not in my vocabulary.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 10, 2018, 02:08:14 PM
The word "should" is not in my vocabulary.

Anyone can be a free spirit ... if they can afford it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 10, 2018, 02:07:29 PM
When I was much younger I used to hitchhike - a lot - racked up something in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles, all told.
Have a brother who hitched across half the country with his wife.  You guys are much braver than I.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2018, 06:48:51 AM
I don't think I could afford it.