News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Every State in the US

Started by pr126, June 27, 2018, 09:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

And there are lions there too, in a zoo.  But not native to Utah.  Bison roamed from Texas to Canada, over the Great Plains.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 28, 2018, 06:59:33 PM
And there are lions there too, in a zoo.  But not native to Utah.  Bison roamed from Texas to Canada, over the Great Plains.
Yeah, tell me man doesn't have this eradication thing down to a science, and he can do it just a few years when he puts his mind to it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2018, 07:15:23 PM
Yeah, tell me man doesn't have this eradication thing down to a science, and he can do it just a few years when he puts his mind to it.
Hey, you shoot a thousand pound animal, cut out the tongue, and leave the rest, you run out of tongues after a while.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 05:24:46 PM
New Mexico, I am disappoint you still think Pluto is a planet. Let's get our shit together.

Even in college in Astronomy 101, I question Pluto being a planet.  The professor poo-pooed me saying "it went around the Sun".  I asked further, pointing out the oddly tilted orbit and the fact that it sometimes was closer to the Sun than Neptune.  Poo-pooed again.  He said "it goes around the Sun".  I pointed out that comets also did that and he told me to go away, LOL!  Well THAT was sure an discussion-killer.  And BTW, I scored 100% on all tests in the class and they were detailed and rather evil.  And of 200 students, I was the only one to do that.  And he STILL dismissed me...

Professors, jeez...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2018, 06:43:47 PMI asked if I could see where they shot Mayberry, but was informed that was all done on a set in Hollywood.
I'm the one with egg on my face here.  You are correct.  It was shot in California, mostly at the well-used RKO set.  Ah well.  At least small-town NC served as the inspiration for Mayberry and of course, Andy Griffith himself was from NC.

Also, Evan Rachel Wood (Dolores on Westworld) is from NC.

Unbeliever

For those of us from SC, NC is considered yankee territory...;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 29, 2018, 01:45:40 PM
For those of us from SC, NC is considered yankee territory...;-)
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why we have North Carolina and South Carolina, rather than just Carolina?  I've wondered about the Dakota's also.  And while I'm wondering, why is there a West Virginia, but not an East Virginia?  Instead it's just Virginia, as if the people in that other state weren't clever enough to come up with their own name.

There is only one Montana, but one could argue there should be two.  Western Montana is all mountains and votes Democrat, and Eastern Montana is all plains and votes Republican.  Montana has an actual small town named Plains, but it's in the mountains.  I'd like to know who the Hell did that?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 29, 2018, 02:33:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why we have North Carolina and South Carolina, rather than just Carolina?  I've wondered about the Dakota's also.  And while I'm wondering, why is there a West Virginia, but not an East Virginia?  Instead it's just Virginia, as if the people in that other state weren't clever enough to come up with their own name.

There is only one Montana, but one could argue there should be two.  Western Montana is all mountains and votes Democrat, and Eastern Montana is all plains and votes Republican.  Montana has an actual small town named Plains, but it's in the mountains.  I'd like to know who the Hell did that?

Colonies were founded by different entrepreneurs ... usually from a port and then moving inland.  West Virginia was part of Virginia, until the Civil War.  Tennessee nearly split in two during the Civil War too.  Virginia of course was named for Queen Elizabeth I.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The colony of Carolina had a political and cultural split into North and South colonies.  North and South Dakota were incorporated into the Union individually (admittedly uncreative names) but they were originally part of of the Dakota Territory so they went with it.  West Virginia was a Unionist bastion in the civil war so is separated from Virginia with Federal troop support. 

I often smile that they didn't choose individual names of their own, but you have to assume it made sense to them at the time.

trdsf

No, Hell is in Michigan, not Montana.  But any Buckeye could've told you that.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Every State should be politically contested fairly to the extent possible.  That would bring candidates to the center.  We need to work from the center again.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 02:54:32 AM
Every State should be politically contested fairly to the extent possible.  That would bring candidates to the center.  We need to work from the center again.

Center?  Isn't that the guy handing off the football to the quarterback?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

And bending over to do it, just like the center.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 01:51:17 PM

Back to Team America ... and three kinds of people ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 01:51:17 PM

I understand your meaning.  But we have to reach the center from both sides.  Giving in on one side just re-defines the Center badly.   I want the beat the Far Right into submission and I make no bones about that.  But I still want a country where the Center holds.

We have too much "die on the battlefronts" and I am guilty as well.  But the farther the Right goes, the Lefter I move in response.  Its a defensive balance mechanism.

But I could go Centrist at the drop of a hat.  Could Far Righters?