Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Every State in the US

Started by pr126, June 27, 2018, 09:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 27, 2018, 12:06:40 PM
Actually has stuff I didn't know.

Yes, reminds me of the Connections series.

In 1970 I lived just a few blocks north of Colfax Ave ... the longest avenue.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Enough with geography!  That is just a dead White guy thing, like education.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've been in 25 of the states, so far. I don't expect to visit any more of them, though, since the ones I haven't been in aren't worth the trouble. ;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 27, 2018, 07:04:09 PM
I've been in 25 of the states, so far. I don't expect to visit any more of them, though, since the ones I haven't been in aren't worth the trouble. ;-)

I have to count the states I have traveled through (not flown over).  Fl, VA, NC, MD, NJ, NY, CN, RI, MA, VT, NH, CA, TX, UT, CO, IL, MO, KA.  I hope I didn't miss any.  And Canada 3 times.  Most was on Govt travel, some were visiting relatives, one was getting my elderly dad from a hospital to come live with me for several years.  Canada was camping.  Nice place mostly.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 28, 2018, 04:23:24 AM
I have to count the states I have traveled through (not flown over).  Fl, NC, MD, NJ, NY, CN, RI, MA, VT, NH, MA, CA, TX, UT, CO, IL, MO, KA.  I hope I didn't miss any.  And Canada 3 times.  Most was on Govt travel, some were visiting relatives, one was getting my elderly dad from a hospital to come live with me for several years.  Canada was camping.  Nice place mostly.

I did the same for my mother.  A hard yet necessary choice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: pr126 on June 27, 2018, 09:07:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancuYECRGN8
North Carolina is first in flight, but then again, everyone already knew that.  Btw, we have beef with Ohio about that. "Birthplace of aviation" don't count!

NC got extremely short shrift so I figured I'd expand a little bit.  So here's a crash course!

North Carolina, the Tar Heel State

History
Colonial: Virginia Dare, first British birth in North America.  Roanoke colony, the "Lost Colony".  Carolina split into North and South Carolina.  Blackbeard the pirate.
Pre-Civil War: Rip Van Winkle State (reputation as backwards and underdeveloped), extremely rural state, grew a lot of tobacco and cotton, large numbers of slaves (roughly 1/3 of the population),
Civil War: one of the last states to join the Confederacy (it's sometimes claimed to be the last state to join, but technically, Tennessee was last), few battles were fought in NC but it contributed a lot of troops to the Confederacy
Post Civil War: Jim Crow, lots of immigration from the north (carpet-baggers), Wright Brothers, school-building drive by Aycock and heavy investment in Universities, Civil Rights movement (notably a sit-in protest in Greensboro in 1960)
Modern history: gradual transition from rural to urban.  Collapse of textiles, growth of hog farms.  Growth of large cities, Charlotte (banking), Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill form Research Triangle Park (RTP) a major hub of tech and medical research.

Geography:
Appalachian Mountains to the west, central Piedmont, eastern shore (dangerous coastline - graveyard of the Atlantic), swamps to the far SE and NE (indigenous venus fly traps)
Known for especially hot, humid summers and mild winters.  Frequently hit by hurricanes.

Culture:
Filming site for the Andy Griffith show and some scenes of Deliverance.
Huge fanbases for college sports.  Big rivalry between Duke and Chapel Hill (Michael Jordan's former team) in men's basketball.  Unexpectedly big on hockey - Carolina Hurricanes (Stanley Cup champions in 2006)
Huge fans of pork BBQ cooked with a vinegar-based sauce.  GTFO with tomato-based sauces.  Perfect NC meal: BBQ with sweet potato and Cheerwine (very sweet, cherry-flavored soda)
South Baptist/evangelical Christian influence - Billy Graham
Politically, NC is very much a battleground state.  Leans Republican overall, but can go Democrat sometimes.  Sharp political divides between urban liberals and rural conservatives.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

New Mexico, I am disappoint you still think Pluto is a planet. Let's get our shit together.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2018, 05:24:46 PM
New Mexico, I am disappoint you still think Pluto is a planet. Let's get our shit together.

No the cartoon was a disappointment, they claimed that there were buffalo in Utah, instead of Mormons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2018, 12:15:30 PM
Filming site for the Andy Griffith show and some scenes of Deliverance.
I might take issue here, although it's your home state, and I'll likely get egg on my face.  I was traveling through the back roads of North Carolina one time for reasons I don't quite remember, and I came to a town called Mount Airy, home town of Andy Griffith, and the prototype for Mayberry.  I don't think much happens in Mount Airy, because the whole town seems to be centered around the fact that Andy Griffith came from there and Mount Airy was the real Mayberry.  They even had an Andy Griffith visitor center with a couple of very helpful and pleasant ladies who would show you clippings and load you with important knowledge.  I understand one of the town's police cars had a cardboard cutout of Barney Fife sitting in the back seat, although I didn't see it.  I asked if I could see where they shot Mayberry, but was informed that was all done on a set in Hollywood.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on June 28, 2018, 06:37:36 PM
No the cartoon was a disappointment, the claimed that there were buffalo in Utah, instead of Mormons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSG50pve7k
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin