Not Great Logic, But Something to Consider

Started by SGOS, June 26, 2018, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: justme on July 01, 2018, 04:41:36 PM
"It wasn't a church, it was a scam.  Totally different.'

I don't see the difference.

Unless things change, I see the beginnings of a great understanding here...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 12:43:45 AM
Unless things change, I see the beginnings of a great understanding here...

I sometimes play the cynic ... everything is a scam ...

But that is rhetoric, not reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on July 01, 2018, 06:35:20 PM
Most churches might be scamming people, but they aren't scamming the IRS, because church bullshit is legally recognized as a tax free endeavor.  The scam was done by John Oliver.  He did scam the government to qualify for benefits the church gets, when clearly he was only posing as a church.

However, I think Hydra's point was to make a satirical comparison/contrast.  To atheists, Oliver's Church and a real Church are both scams of one nature or another even though their true intentions are miles apart.

The point of John Oliver's "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption" was to show how ridiculously easy it was to qualify as a "religious institution."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 05, 2018, 01:12:57 PM
The point of John Oliver's "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption" was to show how ridiculously easy it was to qualify as a "religious institution."

Would't matter if it wasn't a tax deduction ;-)  But on the other hand, the courts are well aware of the intention of Church of the Holy Reefer.  They granted an exception, but only to Native Americans, and only for peyote.  Which to my mind, violated the "establishment" clause.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: justme on July 01, 2018, 04:41:36 PM
"It wasn't a church, it was a scam.  Totally different.'

I don't see the difference.
That's the joke.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 05, 2018, 01:12:57 PM

I forget where, but I recall someone referring to a typical Catholic Church as "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery".  I always found that both accurate and amusing.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 04:12:12 AM
I forget where, but I recall someone referring to a typical Catholic Church as "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery".  I always found that both accurate and amusing.
A shot in the dark.  Was that from the Blues Brothers?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 09, 2018, 06:51:28 AM
A shot in the dark.  Was that from the Blues Brothers?

Might be.  Or Firesign Theater.  It would work for either.

Oh, I just realized...  It's from the Wild Card series.  One of my favorite series of "very strange books". 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 04:12:12 AM
I usually go with 'Our Lady of Perpetual Motion'.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

The Blues Brothers were raised in an orphanage run by the church of Saint Helen of the Blessed Shroud.

Cavebear

OK. let me try to sweep some of the fog I seem to have created.  I sometimes live in the border between reality and parody where both are often thinly divided.  Reality is crueler than fiction ever can be.

The "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery" Church is entirely fictional in a sci-fi series called 'Wild Cards'.  But as I consider all religions to be equally fictional, there is little difference to me.  And many christian churches have equally strange names.  https://www.oddee.com/item_97069.aspx.

To me, all religions are sick representations of human fears of natural death, post hoc ergo propter hoc ("with this, therefore because of this")  fallacies that ascribe human ethics  to a deity when in fact the ethics were discovered prior to the religions, and social control mechanisms.

In short, I consider all religious beliefs are therefore, by definition, lagging behind human development of ethics and science with practitioners leading the religions (parasitic fools at best and scammers at worst) taking advantage of the least sensible of us to the advantage of few.

Can anyone put it more directly that that?

Mousetrap

Yeh!
I also thought that one can invoke God to show Him self in order to believe in Him.

I tested it all.
The best one was a game similar than Ouijah board.
I was so sure that it could prove the existence of the spiritual realm, that I investigated the movement of a glass turned upside down, and asking questions to an invoked spirit.

Well, I realized that there had to be one person that was a 'Medium' that could call on a spirit.
If that Medium removed their finger, and only mine was left, no movement!

Conclusion, you can not communicate with the metaphysical, using the physical.
That was when I lost all faith, until, as I always did, I argued with a lot of Christians, like atheists does, very superficially and using straw man arguments. An Elderly man asked me one question, and I knew he had me.
He said, I know you never read the Bible, because you are very ignorant about its contents, but why do you deny God, if you never read what He said?
I remembered telling him that the Bible is full of violence and the God of the Bible sends people to hell for eternity.
Therefore, that God can never be a creator who destroys what he made.

'Oh. but let me assure you,' he said 'The God of the Bible does not condemn you to hell, as for me, I know I have eternal life. As for you, you condemn yourself.'

I only learned later that God never intended people to be condemned, but it is people that condemn them self!

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Hydra009

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 24, 2018, 09:43:17 AM
I only learned later that God never intended people to be condemned, but it is people that condemn them self!

WOW what a life changing revelation...so you mean hell does not really exist? Because that is what this suggests..that god never really made a hell,,,people just decided to be fuck ups and VOILA! Hell magically appeared.

Yep....you have reached into the puddle of complete stupidity to pull off and present the "quote of complete ignorance of the year" !!!! Here is your Kooopon. ....

LOL..and you wonder why we find your babble such stupid shit and those who brag about it ...well.....less that 5th graders.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust