Not Great Logic, But Something to Consider

Started by SGOS, June 26, 2018, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Orthodox Christians aren't good at math either.  They think that Trinity means One ;-))

If you are a modern pagan (or were) fine on you.  But that isn't Hinduism or Buddhism.  Those are polytheist, and quite existing now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Unbeliever

"You've given everything away! I know where the poison is!"
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 01:49:16 PM
You haven't shown anything.

Such pique.  You said something interesting about Stargate ... might not have even realized it.  It struck me for the first time in a new way (context different) and I just had to share the analogy.  But please don't take personal offense.  If you think you are an atheist, whether or not you are, I have no problem with that.  But it might be a new DSM V condition ... ontological dysphoria?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 06, 2018, 01:53:29 PM

If there is nothing in the cupboard .. I don't think I need fear your natty spice rack.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 06, 2018, 01:53:29 PM
To be fair, he was right.  The glass that he thought was poisoned was actually poisoned.

Unbeliever

Yeah, and he was also right about avoiding land-wars in Asia...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2018, 07:05:20 PM
Such pique.  You said something interesting about Stargate ... might not have even realized it.  It struck me for the first time in a new way (context different) and I just had to share the analogy.  But please don't take personal offense. 
You would never intentionally try to offend anyone would you?  Nor would you would ever delight in triggering an SJW who pisses you off.  Nor does most of your social interaction revolve around cheap shots and venom.  You're just too sweet and loving for that, right?  Don't worry about offending me.  I'm just pointing out that you're a social misanthrope.  Oh... And throw in "paranoid misogynist," now that I'm thinking about it.  Somebody needs to tell you so that you can grow up.  But please don't take offense.

If you think you are an atheist, whether or not you are, I have no problem with that.
Thanks for your permission.  I'm relieved.

But it might be a new DSM V condition ... ontological dysphoria?
lol  What an asshole.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 10:53:29 PM
You would never intentionally try to offend anyone would you?  Nor would you would ever delight in triggering an SJW who pisses you off.  Nor does most of your social interaction revolve around cheap shots and venom.  You're just too sweet and loving for that, right?  Don't worry about offending me.  I'm just pointing out that you're a social misanthrope.  Oh... And throw in "paranoid misogynist," now that I'm thinking about it.  Somebody needs to tell you so that you can grow up.  But please don't take offense.

Thanks for your permission.  I'm relieved.

lol  What an asshole.

I still get excited by unexpected posts ... but it is humanity per se that I have a problem with.  Politically for example, I don't dispute with a particular voter, but with the voters in general.  As far as society goes, i am hardly the only person here who feels alienation.  We all reek of alienation of various kinds.  It is shocking how one is received, even after three years, by specific incidents.  Y'all aren't boring ;-)

No, I am not sweet.  Is that maturity?  I thought sweetness is the opposite of maturity.  And anyone with experience with actual shared life with the same or opposite gender, how can they not despair?  A coworker just separated from his partner.

No, a killer, a rapist, a thief is an asshole.  I am just another dick among many.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2018, 11:51:20 PM
I still get excited by unexpected posts ...
Hopefully, you don't masturbate when you get one of these.  And I've actually been concerned that I'm feeding you exactly what you so desperately need and want from this forum, and that in the end, I might be encouraging your disruptive anti-social behavior. 

but it is humanity per se that I have a problem with.  Politically for example, I don't dispute with a particular voter, but with the voters in general.  As far as society goes, i am hardly the only person here who feels alienation.  We all reek of alienation of various kinds.  It is shocking how one is received, even after three years, by specific incidents.  Y'all aren't boring ;-)
Everyone has problems, some manage them better than others.  But when you create vicious circles to intensify and cultivate your hatred of others, you should not be shocked after 3 years when someone addresses it, or in the case of a spouse, walks out of your life leaving you to simmer in your own stew.  Most people put up with the occasional lapse of civility, bad attitude, and poor judgment.  You are entitled to the occasional bad day, but when a whole life revolves around harboring hateful thoughts and nurturing slights that have to be acknowledged every third sentence, it becomes a drag, and people will tire of their role as the target of your unresolved issues.

No, I am not sweet.  Is that maturity?  I thought sweetness is the opposite of maturity. 
I used "sweet" as hyperbole in an attempt to underscore your attempts to veil your true intentions.  I apologize.  Maturity is not about sweetness or being a constant dick.  It's more about good judgment and growth.

And anyone with experience with actual shared life with the same or opposite gender, how can they not despair?  A coworker just separated from his partner.
"Get over it," is more than an expression of disapproval when spoken with an attitude of contempt.  That pejorative trivializes the wealth of meaning expressed in the actual words.  They contain a goldmine of good advice.  But learning to do it is not easy when one has become habituated to harboring slights and resentments.  And you have to learn how on your own, but it is not impossible.  In addition, it's emotionally healthful, and a major step toward maturity.

No, a killer, a rapist, a thief is an asshole.  I am just another dick among many.
I don't think any special nuance is necessary.  Being an asshole, being a dick.  It's the same thing.  If someone comes to your defense and says, "Oh, he's not an asshole.  He's just a dick," there is little reason to take pride in it.

Baruch

Every post in every string ... implied or actual personal insult?  Well, takes a tea leaf reader to tell sometimes.

Sorry, I don't share your theology.  I don't share your politics (maybe).  Get over it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2018, 01:49:51 PM
Yep, an asshole.

Someone who watched Team America, and still doesn't get "it".  Go projective vomit on someone else.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2018, 08:43:59 AM
The Stargate series avoids talking about Christianity and even the other major religions in their plot line, probably not to offend viewership.  I find it odd that a show whose main theme is the folly of worshipping false gods, would never include one line during it's 10 year run that includes the word "Christian", let alone identifies Christianity as the true religion, or even something else as the true religion, or even shows Earth people worshiping.  Not once in 10 years!  The closest it comes is somewhere toward the end of the series when some off-worlder asks General Landry, "Well what god do you believe in then?"  Landry says, "On Earth, people believe in many different things," and that is a far as the series treads onto the topic.

This is especially curious, when so many of the alien religions mimic Christianity almost perfectly as it reflected itself down through the ages, from burning witches to power grabs by humans in authority, forced worship supported by peers, and all the while spouting poetic sounding memes from some holy book that sounds like it might have been commissioned by King James.

I don't know if the series was followed weekly by much of a Christian audience.  It had to have some support to survive that long in North America, but I have this picture in my head of the Christian viewership in a big crowd watching the show together, and nodding in agreement when SG1 tells aliens they are worshiping a false God, while completely missing the satirical metaphor.

Much of the series was about ridiculing religion.  They always did it by pointing it out through aliens.  I loved it!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 04:00:17 AM
Much of the series was about ridiculing religion.  They always did it by pointing it out through aliens.  I loved it!

Correct.  The spat was about .. it ridicules Christianity.  The gua'uld were much like polytheist deities.  Not at all like Abrahamic deities.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.