Not Great Logic, But Something to Consider

Started by SGOS, June 26, 2018, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 05, 2018, 11:18:34 AM
No, Pat Robertson accepts enough science to admit that climate change is real.  Our little church mouse has demonstrated no acceptance or understanding of science at all, just word salad bingo.

It's not often you'll see me come to Pat Robertson's defense, but facts are facts are facts... except, of course, in Mouseworld.
True enough.  He doesn't reach to the level of Robertson.  Talk about a low bar...................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on September 05, 2018, 11:18:34 AM
It's not often you'll see me come to Pat Robertson's defense, but facts are facts are facts... except, of course, in Mouseworld.
You realize that, "He's not a complete idiot," is not the greatest defense.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2018, 08:43:59 AM
The Stargate series avoids talking about Christianity and even the other major religions in their plot line, probably not to offend viewership.  I find it odd that a show whose main theme is the folly of worshipping false gods, would never include one line during it's 10 year run that includes the word "Christian", let alone identifies Christianity as the true religion, or even something else as the true religion, or even shows Earth people worshiping.  Not once in 10 years!  The closest it comes is somewhere toward the end of the series when some off-worlder asks General Landry, "Well what god do you believe in then?"  Landry says, "On Earth, people believe in many different things," and that is a far as the series treads onto the topic.

This is especially curious, when so many of the alien religions mimic Christianity almost perfectly as it reflected itself down through the ages, from burning witches to power grabs by humans in authority, forced worship supported by peers, and all the while spouting poetic sounding memes from some holy book that sounds like it might have been commissioned by King James.

I don't know if the series was followed weekly by much of a Christian audience.  It had to have some support to survive that long in North America, but I have this picture in my head of the Christian viewership in a big crowd watching the show together, and nodding in agreement when SG1 tells aliens they are worshiping a false God, while completely missing the satirical metaphor.

No True Atheist?  Shows are put on to make money.  Further capitalism ... Oh the horror!

My ex, the Christian pastor, loved Stargate.  It is actually anti-polytheist, not atheist.

So was Muhammad a guauld?  The show was actually anti-pagan.  Most of the folks here claim to be atheists, are actually pagan, because they reject absolutist monotheism ... which implies they support relativistic polytheism.  In Hinduism and Buddhism, their gods aren't immortal and don't have absolute power.  Concepts actually brought into Abrahamic religion by Greek influenced theologians.

BTW - recent study of the witch trials in Europe ... it came about because of competitive shit-posting by Catholics vs Protestants.  Each side claimed to better protect the peasants against malevolent forces (aka the other side).  Their political actions inspired a witch hunt.  Sound familiar?  This has happened many times in America.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 05, 2018, 12:07:42 PM
You realize that, "He's not a complete idiot," is not the greatest defense.
True, but there are those about whom I can't even say that.  For them, all you can do is thank them for providing further evidence that evolution is a blind process.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 05, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
True, but there are those about whom I can't even say that.  For them, all you can do is thank them for providing further evidence that evolution is a blind process.

But somehow other people here prove that they aren't blind.  Mixed evidence.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 05, 2018, 12:56:12 PM
Most of the folks here claim to be atheists, are actually pagan, because they reject absolutist monotheism ... which implies they support relativistic polytheism.
Meaningless concepts, baseless assumptions arriving at inane conclusions, but in no particular order.  How long does it take you to make shit like this up?   It's a statement that shouts who you are.  You should make it your signature and get rid of the "Free associating theist."

Hydra009

Also, "pagan" is a funny term to apply to people who mostly live in cities now.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 12:31:42 AM
Meaningless concepts, baseless assumptions arriving at inane conclusions, but in no particular order.  How long does it take you to make shit like this up?   It's a statement that shouts who you are.  You should make it your signature and get rid of the "Free associating theist."

It is spontaneous, because the insanity of other posters, means the material writes itself (see, AI).  Remember Tay, the Teen Girl AI?  The one that became a raving Nazi in one day?

Free thinking.  No one else here is thinking?  Yes, they are, repeating what their Marxist masters tell them to say.  Marxism ... yet another form of ... you are free to obey!

You expect responses to random other posts, on many other strings, are going to be "in order"?  What kind of control freak are you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 06, 2018, 01:16:20 AM
Also, "pagan" is a funny term to apply to people who mostly live in cities now.

Most people don't realize what polytheist means, has too many syllables.  Pagan as a label, helps those with lo-IQ.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2018, 07:02:58 AM
Most people don't realize what polytheist means, has too many syllables.  Pagan as a label, helps those with lo-IQ.
People here know what polytheist means, and you know that.  In your attempt at self aggrandizement, you have manufactured an untruth in an attempt to paint others as simple minded.  But just in case your implication is missed, you incorrectly call others pagans on the grounds that their low IQs require a simple word, even if you use that label inaccurately.  And in your cowardly passive aggressive nature, you imply that you do this to be helpful.  But in truth, you are hateful liar and a troll who flings false accusations, demeaning names, and hurtful remarks wildly in an attempt to annoy anyone within hearing distance.

Polytheism is no longer the defining characteristic of Paganism.  You are talking about sects which died out hundreds of years ago.  Today's pagans usually believe that the divine (singular or plural) resides in nature, but polytheism is neither required nor a defining characteristic. 

PAGANISM IS NOT ATHEISM, and you know that, so you attempt to redefine atheism idiosyncratically in order to use the pejorative "pagan" as a descriptor.  The pejorative connotation no longer exists.  Pagans now call themselves pagans.  Getting so angry that you call someone a pagan is the same as calling someone a Presbyterian and expecting them to be insulted, and calling an atheist a pagan is inaccurate and absurd.

Modern Paganism
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=list+of+pagan+religions&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ITVB_enUS637US637&q=list+of+modern+pagan+religions&gs_l=hp..1.0j0i22i30l2.0.0.1.164837...........0.7wNQt7WejbU

What do the Pagans Believe In?

Paganism is best described as a group of religions and spiritual traditions based on a reverence for nature. Like Hinduism, there is no single founder, scripture or religious philosophy. Most Pagans, however, believe in the divine character of the natural world and Paganism is often described as an "Earth religion".

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 08:57:53 AM
People here know what polytheist means, and you know that.  In your attempt at self aggrandizement, you have manufactured an untruth in an attempt to paint others as simple minded.  But just in case your implication is missed, you incorrectly call others pagans on the grounds that their low IQs require a simple word, even if you use that label inaccurately.  And in your cowardly passive aggressive nature, you imply that you do this to be helpful.  But in truth, you are hateful liar and a troll who flings false accusations, demeaning names, and hurtful remarks wildly in an attempt to annoy anyone within hearing distance.

Polytheism is no longer the defining characteristic of Paganism.  You are talking about sects which died out hundreds of years ago.  Today's pagans usually believe that the divine (singular or plural) resides in nature, but polytheism is neither required nor a defining characteristic. 

PAGANISM IS NOT ATHEISM, and you know that, so you attempt to redefine atheism idiosyncratically in order to use the pejorative "pagan" as a descriptor.  The pejorative connotation no longer exists.  Pagans now call themselves pagans.  Getting so angry that you call someone a pagan is the same as calling someone a Presbyterian and expecting them to be insulted, and calling an atheist a pagan is inaccurate and absurd.

Modern Paganism

No, Democrat isn't Communist .. is it Satanist?  See, I can redefine words same as you.

So you tell me .. what Stargate was about.  Goa'uld were clearly polytheist (there was more than one of them) and not actually immortal (same as paganism).  Hindu and Buddhist deities aren't immortal .. or are you saying No-True-Hindu or No-True-Buddhist?

Love of alien supermen?  Seems pretty goa'uld to me.  Y'all want to post your profiles at Nephelim-R-Us?  Except for giant robots with the "all-spark" ... pretty not-atheist to me.  Rename it what you want, but it seems that at heart, if not in mind, people here are not-true-atheists.  This isn't even the argument ... that ideology is a kind of religion.  Supermen are deities ... of the pagan style, not the Abrahamic style.  Not that these exist ... but y'all want them to exist ... same as Abrahamics want their mono-deity to exist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2018, 12:55:44 PM
No, Democrat isn't Communist .. is it Satanist?  See, I can redefine words same as you.

So you tell me .. what Stargate was about.  Goa'uld were clearly polytheist (there was more than one of them) and not actually immortal (same as paganism).  Hindu and Buddhist deities aren't immortal .. or are you saying No-True-Hindu or No-True-Buddhist?

Love of alien supermen?  Seems pretty goa'uld to me.  Y'all want to post your profiles at Nephelim-R-Us?  Except for giant robots with the "all-spark" ... pretty not-atheist to me.  Rename it what you want, but it seems that at heart, if not in mind, people here are not-true-atheists.  This isn't even the argument ... that ideology is a kind of religion.  Supermen are deities ... of the pagan style, not the Abrahamic style.  Not that these exist ... but y'all want them to exist ... same as Abrahamics want their mono-deity to exist.
Wait for your head to clear, and then try responding again.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 01:01:03 PM

You already showed your hand.  Don't play poker much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Having actually been a practicing Pagan, I can definitely and definitively say that it is not in any way, shape or form atheism.

Pagan is a cover-all term for several different generally polytheistic beliefs and practices (Wicca, Dianism, Thelema, Druidry...), in much the same way that Christian covers several different kinds of theisms (Protestantism, Catholicism, Mormonism, Orthodoxy...) centered on the mythology about and around Jeshua bar-Joseph (or whatever messianic preacher or preachers were used as the basis for Christian mythology).

The prefices poly- and a- are not synonyms, it should be obvious.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 06, 2018, 01:01:03 PM
I think you meant

perhaps?  :D