Author Topic: Not Great Logic, But Something to Consider  (Read 497 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: Not Great Logic, But Something to Consider
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"It wasn't a church, it was a scam.  Totally different.'

I don't see the difference.

Unless things change, I see the beginnings of a great understanding here...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 06:45:03 AM »
Unless things change, I see the beginnings of a great understanding here...

I sometimes play the cynic ... everything is a scam ...

But that is rhetoric, not reality.
שלום

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
Most churches might be scamming people, but they aren't scamming the IRS, because church bullshit is legally recognized as a tax free endeavor.  The scam was done by John Oliver.  He did scam the government to qualify for benefits the church gets, when clearly he was only posing as a church.

However, I think Hydra's point was to make a satirical comparison/contrast.  To atheists, Oliver's Church and a real Church are both scams of one nature or another even though their true intentions are miles apart.

The point of John Oliver's "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption" was to show how ridiculously easy it was to qualify as a "religious institution."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

Offline Baruch

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
The point of John Oliver's "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption" was to show how ridiculously easy it was to qualify as a "religious institution."

Would't matter if it wasn't a tax deduction ;-)  But on the other hand, the courts are well aware of the intention of Church of the Holy Reefer.  They granted an exception, but only to Native Americans, and only for peyote.  Which to my mind, violated the "establishment" clause.
שלום

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
"It wasn't a church, it was a scam.  Totally different.'

I don't see the difference.
That's the joke.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 04:12:12 AM »

I forget where, but I recall someone referring to a typical Catholic Church as "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery".  I always found that both accurate and amusing.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 06:51:28 AM »
I forget where, but I recall someone referring to a typical Catholic Church as "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery".  I always found that both accurate and amusing.
A shot in the dark.  Was that from the Blues Brothers?

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:33 AM »
A shot in the dark.  Was that from the Blues Brothers?

Might be.  Or Firesign Theater.  It would work for either.

Oh, I just realized...  It's from the Wild Card series.  One of my favorite series of "very strange books". 

Offline trdsf

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
I usually go with 'Our Lady of Perpetual Motion'.  :D
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline SGOS

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
The Blues Brothers were raised in an orphanage run by the church of Saint Helen of the Blessed Shroud.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
OK. let me try to sweep some of the fog I seem to have created.  I sometimes live in the border between reality and parody where both are often thinly divided.  Reality is crueler than fiction ever can be.

The "Our Lady Of Perpetual Misery" Church is entirely fictional in a sci-fi series called 'Wild Cards'.  But as I consider all religions to be equally fictional, there is little difference to me.  And many christian churches have equally strange names.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

To me, all religions are sick representations of human fears of natural death, post hoc ergo propter hoc ("with this, therefore because of this")  fallacies that ascribe human ethics  to a deity when in fact the ethics were discovered prior to the religions, and social control mechanisms.

In short, I consider all religious beliefs are therefore, by definition, lagging behind human development of ethics and science with practitioners leading the religions (parasitic fools at best and scammers at worst) taking advantage of the least sensible of us to the advantage of few.

Can anyone put it more directly that that?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk