Why is the Anglo-American Empire in the Middle East?

Started by Baruch, June 23, 2018, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSV9S2Ol3bc

The petroleum must flow!

This is why peasant revolts must be suppressed ... by being instigated by agent provocateurs ... see Arab Spring.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

It's more of a hegemony. "Empire" implies the ability to govern, directly or indirectly.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 23, 2018, 06:29:16 PM
It's more of a hegemony. "Empire" implies the ability to govern, directly or indirectly.
The US has almost no influence in The Middle East.  The People and Governments in The Middle East are entirely responsible for events there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 24, 2018, 11:44:16 PM
The US has almost no influence in The Middle East.  The People and Governments in The Middle East are entirely responsible for events there.

The biggest lie about the CIA, is that they control everyone, everywhere.  Never met one, but I doubt they put they pants on ... two legs at a time.

Certainly I would doubt the US controls the Turkish election today, or even the Mexican election.  Getting people to believe lies is soft power.  But if you don't have bullets to back it up, your position collapses as soon as people see the Emperor has no clothes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 24, 2018, 11:44:16 PM
Back during the Bush Invasion, I was giving my position on avoiding an invasion of Iraq to a woman who had been paying close attention to all of the Bush propaganda.  To cut me off she said just one thing, "Those people deserve to be free."  I dropped the conversation right there, for to contradict her would sound heartless to an SJW, even if she was a neo conservative SJW.  And "Freeing the Iraqi People" was part of the propaganda strategy of the neocons.  Yes conservatives can go SJW on a dime when it suits the rest of their agenda, and no one is above virtue signaling, unless it's from the people they hate.  Hypocrisy is alive and well and permeates humanity even those who are the most self righteous.

What I left unsaid, was as you put it, "People and their governments are responsible for their events."  Freedom is not something that is bestowed by benevolent dictators or corrupt politicians.  It must be craved and fought for by those who demand it.  And some perverted sense of freedom like, "Let's let the Shiites oppresses the Sunnis for a change," is a horribly perverted freedom not worthy of the name.  You will never have freedom if you don't understand what it actually is.  Otherwise you get policy changes, like hanging fallen women instead of stoning them, or your group now gets plumb government jobs instead of the other group.

This should not sound like some heartless assessment.  It's an observation of human nature, and the same perverted sense of freedom exists in America, where the righteous would impose their will on others, and if and when the demographics of the country changes, this will happen because the people and their governments are responsible.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 25, 2018, 04:18:11 AM
Back during the Bush Invasion, I was giving my position on avoiding an invasion of Iraq to a woman who had been paying close attention to all of the Bush propaganda.  To cut me off she said just one thing, "Those people deserve to be free."  I dropped the conversation right there, for to contradict her would sound heartless to an SJW, even if she was a neo conservative SJW.  And "Freeing the Iraqi People" was part of the propaganda strategy of the neocons.  Yes conservatives can go SJW on a dime when it suits the rest of their agenda, and no one is above virtue signaling, unless it's from the people they hate.  Hypocrisy is alive and well and permeates humanity even those who are the most self righteous.

What I left unsaid, was as you put it, "People and their governments are responsible for their events."  Freedom is not something that is bestowed by benevolent dictators or corrupt politicians.  It must be craved and fought for by those who demand it.  And some perverted sense of freedom like, "Let's let the Shiites oppresses the Sunnis for a change," is a horribly perverted freedom not worthy of the name.  You will never have freedom if you don't understand what it actually is.  Otherwise you get policy changes, like hanging fallen women instead of stoning them, or your group now gets plumb government jobs instead of the other group.

This should not sound like some heartless assessment.  It's an observation of human nature, and the same perverted sense of freedom exists in America, where the righteous would impose their will on others, and if and when the demographics of the country changes, this will happen because the people and their governments are responsible.

I understand and that was mostly my point.  At some point, no outsides can resolve the endless and complicated Middle East issues.

If I was theistic, I would say let them all kill each other and let God sort them out.  But I'm not, so I have to hope that reason will eventually prevail without the slightest expectation that it will.

Baruch

That works for Europe.  Your quote "let G-d sort it out" was a quote from the Papal legate at the extermination of the citizens of Bezier France, during the Albigensian Crusade of N France against S France.  Think of Madrid against Barcelona today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 25, 2018, 06:53:27 AM
That works for Europe.  Your quote "let G-d sort it out" was a quote from the Papal legate at the extermination of the citizens of Bezier France, during the Albigensian Crusade of N France against S France.  Think of Madrid against Barcelona today.

Duh!  Did you actually think I didn't know the origin of the phrase?   You really annoy me sometimes...   EVERYTIME I bother to peek at one of your posts, I find something either obvious or insulting my intelligence. 

Congrats, you managed BOTH this time.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 25, 2018, 07:05:50 AM
Duh!  Did you actually think I didn't know the origin of the phrase?   You really annoy me sometimes...   EVERYTIME I bother to peek at one of your posts, I find something either obvious or insulting my intelligence. 

Congrats, you managed BOTH this time.

See, if you are omniscient ... you aren't a demi-god like me, you are G-d ;-)  You are insulted anytime someone doesn't worship the cats and plants you walk on.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on June 25, 2018, 07:05:50 AM
.   EVERYTIME I bother to peek at one of your posts, I find something either obvious or insulting my intelligence. 

smart fisherman learn to either change bait or change where they fish..
poor fisherman simply stop fishing.

:P~
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 25, 2018, 09:25:16 PM
smart fisherman learn to either change bait or change where they fish..
poor fisherman simply stop fishing.

:P~

First, let me say I understand your profferred advice.  That doesn't mean I agree with it, but I do seriously note it and thought about it.  I respect your opinion.

But to continue your analogy, you sometimes catch fish you don't want, consider pests, or do not fight well. 

Baruch is all of those to me. 

When I engage with him, I get poor jokes, irrelevant replies, and too much nonsense.  My weakness is that I WANT to find meaning in his posts and way too often fail to see any. 

It's not personal; I actually LIKE the guy (personally).  He would be welcome on my deck for a BBQ (as would you and most members here of course).  Its just that I consider him mostly a pest onsite, a person dedicated to accumulating post-count irrespective of whether the posts make any sense, and "noise" in the general discussion.  My personal opinion is that he never actually adds much to the general conversation, and actually diminishes from it by nonsensical statements.

I have tried to engage him rationally at times (without much success) , ignored him at times (because he encourages/causes me to sink to his level of bad posts) and I am probably more comfortable just ignoring him with an occasional reply when I see him quoted by others.

So, in what way is that wrong?

Well, you asked, and I replied...

Baruch

Meaningful from me ...

1. I like you
2. I respect you
3. You are even more senile than I am
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

American foreign policy is more or less and extension of British foreign policy since 1917 ... but what does the mean?  It means going all over the world getting our noses into other people's business ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t86J_zZjjq4
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.