The so called conscience of the Left ... for the children

Started by Baruch, June 22, 2018, 12:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

luckswallowsall

I'm very against the so-called extreme "regressive left" but all the big criticisms I have of this, so-called, "regressive left", involve the fact that this is a reactionist movement that claims to be left, but is in fact very authoritarian and against liberty. Which is the opposite of left.

Shutting down free speech in the name of free speech, and being intolerant in the name of tolerance, is not being pro-liberty.

Cavebear

Cavebear

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 07:33:14 AM
I'm very against the so-called extreme "regressive left" but all the big criticisms I have of this, so-called, "regressive left", involve the fact that this is a reactionist movement that claims to be left, but is in fact very authoritarian and against liberty. Which is the opposite of left.

Shutting down free speech in the name of free speech, and being intolerant in the name of tolerance, is not being pro-liberty.

Ah, the truth of our new member begins to come out...  I am not surprised.  I did hope for more, for once.

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Cavebear on September 27, 2018, 07:48:31 AM
Ah, the truth of our new member begins to come out...  I am not surprised.  I did hope for more, for once.

I take it that you are right-winged then . . .

I am not surprised at yourself either. You do appear to be amongst the less logical 50% of people around these forums, based on my impressions thus far.

Baruch

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 07:33:14 AM

Most people today don't agree with classical liberalism.  Or wear powdered wigs.  I am fond of it, but then I value the past over the future.

I see danger in any form of tyranny or totalitarianism.  None of that is good for anything.  Even if someone thinks that Mussolini made the trains run on time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 05:08:38 PM

I am not surprised at yourself either. You do appear to be amongst the less logical 50% of people around these forums, based on my impressions thus far.

Don't jump to conclusions.  Cavebear ... and myself ... are centrists.  Is that new-right?  Well Robespierre would say so.  And don't get into "ad hominems" until you know people much better.  But as a snap judgement ... you are quite bright, but also quite geek.  Which is fine by me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 05:08:38 PM

In spite of what Baruch said, I am rather somewhat liberal (generally among Obama, Hillary Clinton and less Bernie Sanders), while Baruch is a religious nazi who only dislikes the "HEIL HITLER" salute because it doesn't represent his deitistic emotions sufficiently.

Your misunderstanding does'n't surprise me though.  Our differences are not so much idealogy as disagreement  about terms.  When you escape college philosophy, we might have some good discussions. 

Baruch

luckswallowsall seems like a permanent hostage of academia.  He may have no choice but to become a professor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2018, 12:42:26 PM
luckswallowsall seems like a permanent hostage of academia.  He may have no choice but to become a professor.

That WOULD be a justified fate.  "If you can't DO, teach.  If you can't teach, become a Professor of Philosophy".

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2018, 05:25:59 AM
Don't jump to conclusions.  Cavebear ... and myself ... are centrists.  Is that new-right?  Well Robespierre would say so.  And don't get into "ad hominems" until you know people much better.  But as a snap judgement ... you are quite bright, but also quite geek.  Which is fine by me.

So it makes no sense for either of you to say that you "hoped for more" if I hold similar political views to yourselves...

It's almost as if my reference to the fact that the regressive left is not left has led to you mistakenly concluding that I'm a regressive leftist myself. As I already explained, my problem with regressive leftism is not that they're not regressive, it's that they are regressive, but they're not actually left, and I very much am left, as I very much should be.

Baruch

Quote from: luckswallowsall on October 04, 2018, 10:46:21 AM
So it makes no sense for either of you to say that you "hoped for more" if I hold similar political views to yourselves...

It's almost as if my reference to the fact that the regressive left is not left has led to you mistakenly concluding that I'm a regressive leftist myself. As I already explained, my problem with regressive leftism is not that they're not regressive, it's that they are regressive, but they're not actually left, and I very much am left, as I very much should be.

You are similar to me, if I got in my Tardis and went back 40 years.  I am glad I didn't get to see a video of this post ... I hate to see people turning into human pretzels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: luckswallowsall on October 04, 2018, 10:46:21 AM

But I am "progressive" not "regressive".  So your question is meaningless.