News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy birthday, modern computing.

Started by trdsf, June 21, 2018, 10:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 07:01:55 AM
Were you older than the other students?  I took some college classes where I was twice the age of most of the other students.  It was "interesting".

I am twice the age of most people where I work ... it is interesting indeed.  The youth are energetic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Aqv4vOo7A

See, young people are so oppressed!  Well, some of them are.  But what a great time to be a young programmer at a conference in Cadiz Spain ;-)

I got to go to a couple conferences back in the day ... at UCLA back in 1985, for IJCAI.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on June 21, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Technically, the Z3 being developed by the Germans was first ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse

Americans think they invent everything first, Ensign Checkov can correct that for you ;-)

Germans first, then the Brits, then the Americans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer) by Konrad Zuse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer by Tommy Flowers (not Alan Turing ... who built the much more primitive Bombe)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC by John Mauchley and J Presper Eckert

All early computer work was funded secretly for the security and military services ... and still are.  Who is spending big bucks on quantum computing?  Guess who.
How in the hell is Manchester an American location

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 08, 2018, 10:58:56 PM

Look at the dates the Manchester experiments were after WW II.  Yes, Manchester is in England.  But then ... Americans are just half-breed English.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 08, 2018, 10:58:56 PM

Don't respond to Baruch.  Mostly, he just wants to get a response he can joke about...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 03:55:18 AM
Don't respond to Baruch.  Mostly, he just wants to get a response he can joke about...

You are my biggest joke ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 02, 2018, 07:01:55 AM
Were you older than the other students?  I took some college classes where I was twice the age of most of the other students.  It was "interesting".
I started Purdue after I retired from the USN. I was 40 when I started my first class there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 09, 2018, 05:09:26 PM
I started Purdue after I retired from the USN. I was 40 when I started my first class there.

Never too late!  I got my BS in 1995 when I was 45.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 05:25:40 PM
Never too late!  I got my BS in 1995 when I was 45.
Bachelors in Psych and Soc in '98, Master in History in '04. I was going part time, only when a class interested me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 09, 2018, 06:05:10 PM
Bachelors in Psych and Soc in '98, Master in History in '04. I was going part time, only when a class interested me.

That's good!  I stopped at a BS in Political Science because that was all I needed to continue my career, and more wouldn't have helped any.  After that it was really just OTJ training.  Out of curiousity, what did your History Masters specialize in?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 04:38:04 AM
That's good!  I stopped at a BS in Political Science because that was all I needed to continue my career, and more wouldn't have helped any.  After that it was really just OTJ training.  Out of curiousity, what did your History Masters specialize in?
"Misinterpretations in the MAGIC documents in the last quarter of 1941."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2018, 06:55:44 AM
"Misinterpretations in the MAGIC documents in the last quarter of 1941."

You need to be more factually detailed that that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 07:02:41 AM
You need to be more factually detailed that that.
Okay. OP-20-G and S.I.S. were intercepting Purple code messages from Gaimu Daijin and interpreting them for the President and eleven other officials (the "Twelve Apostles"). They routinely gave three interpretations to ambiguous words, "soft", "medium", and "hard", with "hard" being the most bellicose. They then chose which option would be used in the English translations shown to the people eligible to read them. In about 95% of the cases they used "hard" versions of words, giving a belligerent view of the original message.

I was working with a gentleman at Tokyo U. to provide all three options for the uncertain terms when I was a grad student. Unfortunately he died and I had no means of getting the Japanese versions. So I just settled for a Masters and went to work for the Navy.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2018, 07:16:48 AM
Okay. OP-20-G and S.I.S. were intercepting Purple code messages from Gaimu Daijin and interpreting them for the President and eleven other officials (the "Twelve Apostles"). They routinely gave three interpretations to ambiguous words, "soft", "medium", and "hard", with "hard" being the most bellicose. They then chose which option would be used in the English translations shown to the people eligible to read them. In about 95% of the cases they used "hard" versions of words, giving a belligerent view of the original message.

I was working with a gentleman at Tokyo U. to provide all three options for the uncertain terms when I was a grad student. Unfortunately he died and I had no means of getting the Japanese versions. So I just settled for a Masters and went to work for the Navy.

That was MUCH better.  Thank you.

But you still didn't detail your Master subject in history.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 07:54:36 AM
That was MUCH better.  Thank you.

But you still didn't detail your Master subject in history.
Oh. "Undecided."
PZ Myers