Romans 13 and Christian ("White") Supremacy

Started by Shiranu, June 16, 2018, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Note: Comments are apparently not going to be anything to do with the topic, so if you want to ignore two idiots saying stupid shit on a forum... just don't scroll down very far.

https://www.theroot.com/a-brief-history-of-people-using-romans-13-to-justify-wh-1826875704?utm_source=theroot_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

QuoteAround A.D. 49, the Roman emperor Claudius expelled the Jews from the city of Rome. Historians argue about the exact date and the reasons, but we know that Claudius did not want them holding office or bringing in more immigrants. Instead, he wrote that the Jews (pdf) “should rest content with what belongs to them by right and enjoy an abundance of all good things in a city which is not theirs. They must not bring in or invite Jews who sail in from Syria or Egypt; this is the sort of thing which will compel me to have my suspicions redoubled.” The Jews, according to Claudius, were running in gangs, opening the borders and taking the good jobs from the true Romans.

Sound familiar?

As this was happening, one of the early Jewish leaders of a new sect called “Christianity” was composing a letter to his church. In the epistle, he told his oppressed minority of followers to avoid causing trouble with the most powerful government in the world. He wrote;
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same. â€"A Letter to the Roman Church From the Apostle Paul, Chapter 13, Verses 1-3

If you have ever wondered why slaves adopted the religious philosophy of their slave masters, Romans 13 is your answer. If you wanted to know why slaves, who often outnumbered slave masters, rebelled so rarely, the answer lies in Romans 13. To understand why the Bible was the only book many slaves were allowed to own, read that verse again.

Christianity was adopted by people, rulers and governments all around the globe because it tells its followers to comply. It boasts of a benevolent God who knows best; even when you are the subject of brutality, the Bible tells you that this is what God wants. At the root of Romans 13 is an edict to obey authority.

Almost 2,000 years after Paul’s letter, the 13th chapter of Paul’s instruction to the Romans is still being used to silence, warn and squash minority populations. When U.S. Attorney General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III quoted the verse Thursday to explain the Trump administration’s gestapolike policy of ripping babies from the arms of their mothers and throwing the children into internment camps, he was simply the latest in a long line of white people who used that verse to justify white supremacy.

In the famous 1950s Presbyterian article “How to Detect a Liberal in the Pulpit,” the eventual formation of the segregationist Presbyterian Church in America was foreshadowed when the writer explained that liberal ministers “will be frequently found leading racial demonstrations, supporting workers in a strike ... supporting the right of the Communist Party to engage in its activity in this country, and in giving his approval to the decision of the Supreme Court removing the Bible and other Christian influences from the schools of the nation.”

In their opinion, sit-ins, protests and civil disobedience as a whole were explicitly against Paul’s instructions to Christians. Rosa Parks, the Freedom Riders and even participants in the Children’s March were all sinners in the eyes of an angry white God, according to Romans 13.

God is even given as a reason why black people should stop resisting when they are shot by corrupt cops. Recently, Romans, chapter 13, was used to disparage the Black Lives Matter movement.

Despite the fact that Micah Johnson, who killed five Dallas police officers in 2016, was never connected to any organizations, Robert Jeffress, the head of one of the largest congregations in the area, condemned Black Lives Matter and said that he was sick of preachers disrespecting police because “the New Testament says in Romans 13:4 that law enforcement officers are ministers of God sent by God to punish evildoers.” (Coincidentally, this is the same pastor who said that NFL players should be happy they weren’t shot in the head for kneeling during the national anthem.)

The article focuses perhaps too much on the white part rather than the power part, but I certainly understand why since white people are the one's who benefit from this ideology at the cost of everyone else. I just feel that making that point too much leaves the article a bit suspect to being accused of being "anti-white", so I do wish it had clearly illustrated that one group or another would have had this power, it's just whites who managed to capitalize on it first.

The main point to take away is how Christian ideology is still used to this day, and has been used throughout even modern history, to justify some absolutely horrific atrocities and bigotries, some of which posters here are influenced by their culture even if they are no longer religious.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gilgamesh

God I love being the product of clean, pure, gaelic stock. Whites rule. I'm sorry that you're a dirty, mixed bug-man.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 17, 2018, 12:24:43 AM
God I love being the product of clean, pure, gaelic stock. Whites rule. I'm sorry that you're a dirty, mixed bug-man.

Every time I encounter someone proud of being white, they make me more and more proud to be mixed. If you and your ilk are the epitome of ethnic purity, than ethnic purity is a disease.

But hey, enjoy your "pure blood". I'll just enjoy my lower rate of disease, being statistically more attractive, having a complexion that can actually handle sunlight without burning off, and the fact that my ancestors have been infinitely more relevant to world history than yours... which, if we are going to talk about being proud of our heritage should probably be the number one thing to consider.

I'm proud to be white, and I'm proud to be brown. I'm sorry that you don't have that pleasure of having multiple cultural backgrounds to be proud of.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on June 17, 2018, 12:47:39 AM
being statistically more attractive, having a complexion that can actually handle sunlight without burning off, and the fact that my ancestors have been infinitely more relevant to world history than yours... which, if we are going to talk about being proud of our heritage should probably be the number one thing to consider.

[admin]images removed - PickelledEggs[/admin]

Droopy eyes, no jaw, soy face. You are the poster-child of a self-hating white (muddied) cucked out on social justice because of extremely low T levels.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 17, 2018, 12:51:43 AM

Droopy eyes, no jaw, soy face. You are the poster-child of a self-hating white (muddied) cucked out on social justice because of extremely low T levels.

*shrug*

Still getting both more dick and more ladies than you, so apparently it's not all bad :).

It's sure as fuck not my personality attracting them :P.

Also, had to look up what soy face is, and that doesn't even describe me. Though I do find it hilarious yall have a term for that, so thanks for the laugh :D.

Shiranu

Also; grows a beard that puts Leonidas to shame, has a voice as deep as James Earl Jones... "low T cuck!".

You're gonna have to try a little bit harder, I'm afraid.

Gilgamesh

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 17, 2018, 01:03:29 AM
L O W   T   M A L E

Please daddy big dick, stop derailing my thread or I might just have to daintly slap you across your massive man bulges that make me pee myself.

Real talk though; you are kind of both a complete moron and a lunatic, should I be concerned about how quickly you found a picture of me from like... a year and half or more ago after making racist remarks about me? At the moment I am taking it as a complement, but just hmu if that is not how you mean it.

Gilgamesh

Shiranu

You know I wouldn't upload goofy photos of myself on the internet if I wasn't comfortable with how I look, right? You are really choosing the wrong avenue to attack me down.

Also, wow... an over three year old photo. That just got even creepier, my doggie. I know, I know, many men are enamored with me, but slow your roll... acting that desperate will never get me in your pants.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 17, 2018, 12:24:43 AM

Don't parsel-tongue in front of the non-Slitheren.  The deity who must not be named, will not be amused.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Shiranu is Far Left,
Pr is Far Right,
Here I'm stuck in thee middle,
But I'd punch both with all my might.

Blackleaf

I have to wonder about the authenticity of that verse. It seems exactly like the sort of thing that would be added after the Roman government became Christian. Very convenient for those in power to be immune from criticism because God supposedly ordained them. Also kinda funny that Conservative Christians would embrace that theology, considering it was rebellion that created this country in the first place.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

pr126

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 17, 2018, 02:10:15 AM
Shiranu is Far Left,
Pr is Far Right,
Here I'm stuck in the middle,
But I'd punch both with all my might.

Unless they are bigger and stronger than you.
You are not in the middle, more like left.

Blackleaf

Quote from: pr126 on June 17, 2018, 02:24:39 AM
Unless they are bigger and stronger than you.
You are not in the middle, more like left.

People on the extreme ends always think centrists are on the other side.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--