News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Political Correctness Debate

Started by Mr.Obvious, June 12, 2018, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

https://youtu.be/GxYimeaoea0

I don't often watch links people place here. (Sometimes I do, but honestly, more oft not.) So I'm not sure what I'm expecting by sharing this here.
But it is an interesting debate.

Very enjoyable to watch. And I recommend it.

Featuring Stephen Fry, Jordan Peterson, Michael Dyson & Michelle Goldberg.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

pr126

Yes, it is a good video.
Many here are familiar with this particular video, actually, there are two threads already started about it.

http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=12637.0

I think I have started one myself but cannot find it at the moment.

Thanks for posting it anyway. Good to see that it makes an impression.

Baruch

Dr Peterson and I are on the same wavelength.  Mr Fry is enjoyable to listen to on any subject (love that accent and delivery).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cIAf7cM0Zw
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

I feel like I'm on a wavelength more akin to Fry, myself. Of course, his neverending wel of charm doesn't hurt.
I feel like he came out best, in this debate, despite saying perhaps the least. (Or perhaps because of it. )
Of course, Fry is not just a good talker, he's well versed in handling a conversation. There is a difference. Peterson can monologue rather well, but Fry has a lot of experience in rolling with the punches in a comedic sort of way, I think in no small part because of his time hosting QI and doing stuff akin to that.
I must say, though I started and wound up more on their side of the opening statement, which indeed was hardly broached at all, I enjoyed the other two speakers for the most part as well. There was a bit more 'missing the point' on their end, but it occured at both sides. And though Dyson became repetitive and in one or two instances indeed appalled me, I must admit I'm impressed by his ability to captivate his audience with an energetic tongue.
I enjoyed listening to all four of them.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 13, 2018, 04:04:19 AM
I feel like I'm on a wavelength more akin to Fry, myself. Of course, his neverending wel of charm doesn't hurt.
I feel like he came out best, in this debate, despite saying perhaps the least. (Or perhaps because of it. )
Of course, Fry is not just a good talker, he's well versed in handling a conversation. There is a difference. Peterson can monologue rather well, but Fry has a lot of experience in rolling with the punches in a comedic sort of way, I think in no small part because of his time hosting QI and doing stuff akin to that.
I must say, though I started and wound up more on their side of the opening statement, which indeed was hardly broached at all, I enjoyed the other two speakers for the most part as well. There was a bit more 'missing the point' on their end, but it occured at both sides. And though Dyson became repetitive and in one or two instances indeed appalled me, I must admit I'm impressed by his ability to captivate his audience with an energetic tongue.
I enjoyed listening to all four of them.

Dyson is like a Southern Black Baptist preacher ... they talk like that.  Always exciting to hear.  Probably not something you are used to hearing in Belgium.

Peterson is a professor ... so bla, bla, bla.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on June 13, 2018, 07:08:15 AM
Dyson is like a Southern Black Baptist preacher ... they talk like that.

I have a bias against that style of oration that I have to consciously compensate for. It strikes me as stilted, disingenuous and patronizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upxCVr6G0w

Mr.Obvious

Dyson is like a Southern Black Baptist preacher ... they talk like that.  Always exciting to hear.  Probably not something you are used to hearing in Belgium.

Peterson is fun to hear, though. It's hypnotizing in a way and often seems like he's talking to himself.
While I'm more akin in thought to Fry's point of view, my own version of talking is more akin to Peterson. And it's interesting to see from the outside.

SGOS

I haven't watched the debate yet, but now I'm planning to.  When it first showed up I was in my usual state of being bored with the whole shtick.  It seems it's now politically correct to argue about political correctness.  I could scream.  But I digress.  You gotta love those Baptist radio preachers.  Do they go to school to learn the proper intonations, emphasis, and inflection required to say key words, Gawad, the Bieaball, etc.  They almost sound like one guy with a voice that booms out of my car radio and fills the entire space.  It's definitely Biblically correct.  It may or may not be politically correct, but I think it is.

Sometimes I listen to them while driving and get caught up in it.  It's more than just a southern accent.  It's a Bible accent, and you can't be a good radio preacher without it.  I say the words out loud and repeat phrases of the minister.  It's enchanting, like secret words that open the gates of Heaven.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 13, 2018, 07:47:55 AM
I have a bias against that style of oration that I have to consciously compensate for. It strikes me as stilted, disingenuous and patronizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upxCVr6G0w
That was wonderful.  Thass whad Iam talking about.

Baruch

But African-American conservative preachers do it better than the other kind, IMHO.  But yes, there is a whole style ... they must go to a Preacher school like some people go to Clown school ;-)  My wife was a preacher too, but she never talked like that.  Probably why she was unsuccessful.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.