News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Special Persons Day?

Started by pr126, June 09, 2018, 03:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 09, 2018, 04:53:08 PM
Fathers/Mothers day...c'mon...its a fucking gambit to make money. Along with every other holiday. Recognize it, pound away at it and maybe we will stop the insane stupidity of it.

If you hate money, you can give all yours to Cavebear ... he might not have enough ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 09, 2018, 07:08:35 PM
My Dad made a big deal about Mother's Day, so I asked my mother why they didn't have a Dad's Day.  She said they did, and it was called Father's Day.  That seemed fair to me, as a 5 year old.  But they didn't have a Kid's Day, which kind of bothered me, but my mother told me everyday was Kid's Day.  That sort of bought me off, but I still wasn't completely satisfied.

Kids never are happy, no matter how much candy you give them.  So better to not give them much, for their teeth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm a special person, but only today - it's my birthday. I was hoping to get a bidet for my B-day, but oh well, I'll just have to get along with out it.

https://www.onthisday.com/day/june/10
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 10, 2018, 05:57:21 PM
I'm a special person, but only today - it's my birthday. I was hoping to get a bidet for my B-day, but oh well, I'll just have to get along with out it.

https://www.onthisday.com/day/june/10
And here I thought B-Day was June 4...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Some people hate or love their mothers.  Some people hate or love their fathers.  Allowing one day for those who love either or both does not seem excessive.  There is too much anger applied from the specific to the general. 

I had some problems with both.  But I think they tried their best and that's all one can ask.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 04:32:24 AM
Some people hate or love their mothers.  Some people hate or love their fathers.  Allowing one day for those who love either or both does not seem excessive.  There is too much anger applied from the specific to the general. 

I had some problems with both.  But I think they tried their best and that's all one can ask.

The goal isn't a new holiday, to honor "different parenting" ... but to replace an existing one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2018, 06:39:48 AM
The goal isn't a new holiday, to honor "different parenting" ... but to replace an existing one.
It opens up a whole new spectrum of people to buy Hallmark Cards for.  Now you get to buy flowers for care givers, baby sitters, and kidnappers.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2018, 07:20:53 AM
It opens up a whole new spectrum of people to buy Hallmark Cards for.  Now you get to buy flowers for care givers, baby sitters, and kidnappers.

I recall asking my Mom when Childrens Day is one Mothers Day  (as I am sure most children do ask at some point), and she said "The other 363 days" (as most Mothers do).

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 07:26:06 AM
I recall asking my Mom when Childrens Day is one Mothers Day  (as I am sure most children do ask at some point), and she said "The other 363 days" (as most Mothers do).

well.. actually..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Day

It does exist, just seems odd they wouldn't go all out with it, since card company would make a mint off having parents needing to have a second birthday for their lil'bastards.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on June 11, 2018, 09:12:07 AM
well.. actually..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Day

It does exist, just seems odd they wouldn't go all out with it, since card company would make a mint off having parents needing to have a second birthday for their lil'bastards.

No, I suspect sensible adult people just refuse to pay attention to it.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 09:35:36 AM
No, I suspect sensible adult people just refuse to pay attention to it.

well must be working then. But lets be honest, on figured, how many people would have the sense to ignore it, and how many people would conform to it as a national day if they were more aware of it?

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on June 11, 2018, 11:15:50 AM
well must be working then. But lets be honest, on figured, how many people would have the sense to ignore it, and how many people would conform to it as a national day if they were more aware of it?
It depends.  Do we get the day off at work?

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on June 11, 2018, 11:35:33 AM
It depends.  Do we get the day off at work?

well mothers/fathers day isn't, even if they are on sundays.

Cavebear

I'm retired.  Every day is Saturday.  Actually, most days are Mondays.  No crowds at the stores.  I like Mondays a lot better now.

And yes, I'm rubbing that in to all you working stiffs. 

On the other hand, I'm probably going to die sooner than you folks...  Nothing is perfect.

pr126