I live next to an inhumane Detention center in Brownsville

Started by Draconic Aiur, June 08, 2018, 05:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

https://people.com/politics/migrant-crisis-children-detained-what-to-know/

QuoteEarlier this year, the Trump administration forced the breakup of undocumented parents from their children caught crossing the border, even if they are seeking asylum. This is reportedly due to a “zero tolerance” policy implemented by Attorney General Jeff Sessions. He announced a goal to criminally prosecute 100 percent of people crossing the border illegally, including families with children.

“If you don’t want your child separated, then don’t bring them across the border illegally,” Sessions said last month. “It’s not our fault that somebody does that.”

Anyone charged with illegal entry â€" which is a misdemeanor on the first infraction â€" are now jailed and separated from their children, according to NBC News. Previously, most parents had been allowed to remain with their children in family shelters while awaiting asylum cases or deportation proceedings, the network reported.

Children removed from their families are now sent to separate facilities overseen by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Refugee Resettlement.

On Sunday night, Merkley went to a former Walmart in Brownsville, Texas, that has become a detention center for children separated from their parents.

He asked to see what was inside, but officials at the site called police, and Merkley was asked to leave. “The administration calls this ‘zero tolerance.’ … It is really a ‘zero humanity’ policy,” Merkley told the Washington Post. “It does damage to the children, to the parents and to the soul of America.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/senator-jeff-merkley-saw-immigrant-detention-center-children/

QuoteI’ll tell you what was very difficult to see. One room had smaller cyclone fencesâ€"they look like the way you construct a dog kennel. They’re larger, but that’s the thought that comes to mind when you see them. Then they have these space blankets [light foil blankets], which is a very strange sight, to see kids using a space blanket as a cushionâ€"but they don’t provide any cushionâ€"or as a cover for privacy. There’re no mattresses in that section.

After they go through interviews, they go into a big warehouse. I called them cages, and the White House said that’s unfair, they aren’t cages. Well, call it a cell, then. It’s a cyclone-fence-constructed area. There were all these boys in this big enclosure, maybe three to four dozen boys, and they lined up, from smallest to largest, to get ready to go eat. The tiniest kid at the front of the line, he was knee-high to a grasshopper; he was 4, maybe 5 years old. They go up to age 16 or 17.

Well fuck. Drumf got real dirt on 'em now. Also tempted to do something about it.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

President Obama worked harder than any prior President, to deport non-citizens.  But yes, it is President Trump's shit can now.  But one of the earlier pictures of this, was taken during the Obama administration ;-)

Well, would be nice if we kept our nose out of other people's business ... and built a really nice wall.  E Germany did and it worked for decades.

Deportation for visa violation would be easier, if we simply banned all tourists and foreign students.  Given our "police state" and the need to defund all our higher education (drain the SJW swamp) ... there is no need for those visas anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on June 08, 2018, 07:42:10 PM
President Obama worked harder than any prior President, to deport non-citizens.  But yes, it is President Trump's shit can now.  But one of the earlier pictures of this, was taken during the Obama administration ;-)

Because Trump initiated this detention center of hell.

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 08, 2018, 05:03:35 PM

Well fuck. Drumf got real dirt on 'em now. Also tempted to do something about it.

The problem is a Catch-22.  The US used to allow asylum-seekers to make their request from outside the US.  The new rules require asylum-seekers to enter the US first, which technically makes them illegal aliens, and the Trump Administration uses that to separate parents from children.  I shouldn't have to point out that that forces asylum-seekers to break the law in order to make a very legal request!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

I like how they call them detention centres rather than concentration camps.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Munch

This is where Hungary has the better idea, building a perimeter around their countries borders to let that become a gathering point for immigrants until they are able to have legal asylum.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on June 09, 2018, 05:14:50 AM
I like how they call them detention centres rather than concentration camps.

That is how the British Empire invented the idea, over 100 years ago, during the Boer War in S Africa, against the White settlers there.  I think I read 40,000 unarmed civilians, women and children, died in wretched camps.

So yes, if we spend money for the detention, and eject them promptly, then it isn't comparable.  Please send your humanitarian donation to the nearest iRS office ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 08, 2018, 08:59:22 PM
Because Trump initiated this detention center of hell.

I don't think being detained by Obama was any fun either.  But yes, it is Trump's turd now.

Shoot all the immigrants instead?  How would you be more humane?

These people are getting here thru human trafficking, an international crime.  Venezuelans for example are being shuttled thru Colombia, that noted haven of legality.  Should we invade Mexico and Central America down to the Panama Canal, teach them a lesson?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, technically it's all "America" so we could just annex the whole thing, South and Central, and Canada as well, and call it all ours. Call it "manifest destiny" or something.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2018, 01:49:48 PM
Well, technically it's all "America" so we could just annex the whole thing, South and Central, and Canada as well, and call it all ours. Call it "manifest destiny" or something.

That is exactly what the South proposed before the Civil War.  We were involved in unofficial annexation before 1869 ... See William Walker .. the American president of Nicaragua.  But Cornelius Vanderbilt's private army stopped that.  And the US has always coveted Canada, and Canadians know it.  The recent joke was that President Ross Perot would conquer Canada.  With the Monroe Doctrine still in effect, everything in the New World is a protectorate of the US, even if not US territory.

The present misery of Puerto Rico is an experiment in progress in un-anexation of territory.  How can you exploit people, and have them be useful fools about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on June 09, 2018, 02:26:05 PM
The present misery of Puerto Rico is an experiment in progress in un-anexation of territory.  How can you exploit people, and have them be useful fools about it.
I know you are trying to make a literary point, but can you be more specific? The U.S. Army overthrew the government of Puerto Rico without the consent of the people of Puerto Rico; sounds like annexation to me.

hmmm Our European ancestors came here with the idea in their head; manifest destiny; that "god" gave them all of this land, nevermind that there were several million people AKA Native Americans already living here. They carried this campaign called manifest destiny all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific. that big mess of water kinda put a monkey wrench into their plans to expand the American Empire across the land. so shortly before WW1 they came up with a solution. If the US was going to keep expanding its empire it would have to be across the ocean. That means a strong navy. and having a strong navy requires ports to repair ships..... so Manifest Destiny a load of BS for the land was rebranded as a load of BS for the sea and given a new name American Exceptionalism, thus begins the whole history of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Philippines vs US.

Trump and his base hate people with brown skin so much, we gotta wonder what will happen if we continue manifest destiny into Mexico. I dont think any of those brown people will be allowed to stay. Not to mention all the money wasted to build a wall in the middle of US real estate

O.P. Trump is one man. Ok we get that he is a little crazy and a lot stupid. But why is Congress busy kissin his ass instead of connecting a boot with it? Why are all the DC insiders putting up with his BS? Somebody needs to tell that Orange Terror how unAmerican he is. (credit to unknown) The founders wrote in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal ( meaning the citizens of all nations) and then applied it to our own situation. If he thinks its ok to treat them Latinos as lesser humans, he is going against the founders which he supposedly respects
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on June 09, 2018, 11:23:43 PM
I know you are trying to make a literary point, but can you be more specific? The U.S. Army overthrew the government of Puerto Rico without the consent of the people of Puerto Rico; sounds like annexation to me.

hmmm Our European ancestors came here with the idea in their head; manifest destiny; that "god" gave them all of this land, nevermind that there were several million people AKA Native Americans already living here. They carried this campaign called manifest destiny all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific. that big mess of water kinda put a monkey wrench into their plans to expand the American Empire across the land. so shortly before WW1 they came up with a solution. If the US was going to keep expanding its empire it would have to be across the ocean. That means a strong navy. and having a strong navy requires ports to repair ships..... so Manifest Destiny a load of BS for the land was rebranded as a load of BS for the sea and given a new name American Exceptionalism, thus begins the whole history of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Philippines vs US.

Trump and his base hate people with brown skin so much, we gotta wonder what will happen if we continue manifest destiny into Mexico. I dont think any of those brown people will be allowed to stay. Not to mention all the money wasted to build a wall in the middle of US real estate

O.P. Trump is one man. Ok we get that he is a little crazy and a lot stupid. But why is Congress busy kissin his ass instead of connecting a boot with it? Why are all the DC insiders putting up with his BS? Somebody needs to tell that Orange Terror how unAmerican he is. (credit to unknown) The founders wrote in the Declaration of Independence that all men are created equal ( meaning the citizens of all nations) and then applied it to our own situation. If he thinks its ok to treat them Latinos as lesser humans, he is going against the founders which he supposedly respects

I was talking about last 12 months ... hurricane etc.  Not 100 years ago.  Yes, your history of steamship warfare is correct.  More so with coal boilers than even oil boilers.

Un-annexation as in un-cola ... Puerto Ricans have been US citizens since 1917, but are not treated decently.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on June 09, 2018, 11:23:43 PM

Well, technically, we took a colony of Spain when we fought one of the dumbest wars of all time and adopted it as a territory.  It wasn't economically self-survivable, so it needed help.  We did that (sometimes better or worse, I will add).  Personally, if Puerto Rico wants to be free and on its own, I'm full willing to support that.

Which, I will add, is entirely different from the utter failure of the US Govt under Trump to recognize that Puerto Rico is part of the US and help it like it would any other part.  THAT failure is just too typical of the Trumpian view of the world.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 11, 2018, 04:47:41 AM
Well, technically, we took a colony of Spain when we fought one of the dumbest wars of all time and adopted it as a territory.  It wasn't economically self-survivable, so it needed help.  We did that (sometimes better or worse, I will add).  Personally, if Puerto Rico wants to be free and on its own, I'm full willing to support that.

Which, I will add, is entirely different from the utter failure of the US Govt under Trump to recognize that Puerto Rico is part of the US and help it like it would any other part.  THAT failure is just too typical of the Trumpian view of the world.

Yes, but how do Goldman-Sachs Democrats not also "let no crisis be wasted"?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.