Colorado Gay Wedding Cake Case: Supreme Court Rules in Favour of Discrimination

Started by Shiranu, June 06, 2018, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baker-won-supreme-court-case-maintains-cake-couple/story?id=55660012

Surprised to not see this story here, considering it's involving theocratic legislation. Long story short; Christian man does not want to prepare a wedding cake for a gay couple because his religion disproves of their sexuality. They sue him (rightly) for discrimination, the Supreme Court rules in favour of religious bigotry over sexual discrimination.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 06, 2018, 07:38:22 PM
https://abcnews.go.com/US/baker-won-supreme-court-case-maintains-cake-couple/story?id=55660012

Surprised to not see this story here, considering it's involving theocratic legislation. Long story short; Christian man does not want to prepare a wedding cake for a gay couple because his religion disproves of their sexuality. They sue him (rightly) for discrimination, the Supreme Court rules in favour of religious bigotry over sexual discrimination.

Lawyers rule on arcane technicalities.  Same now, as with the Dred Scott SCOTUS decision in 1857.  Nobody should care much, unless you want to get some of the excess law and lawyers out of daily life.  Advocacy and opposition are political.  The question for most people is political, unless you are a law code maven.

Now I personally can fall on both sides of the issue.  General law says if you provide a public service or product, you can't discriminate against customers other than the inability to pay for the product or service.  That seems fair, and SCOTUS failed to uphold that general legal principle.  Who knows why?  On the other hand there is the "we can refuse service to any customer" often because of "no shirt, no shoes, no service" usually at beaches.  This is what mistakenly happened with the Black fellows at the Starbucks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

He refused the type of service they were asking for on the basis that he doesn't provide that sort of service. He's said multiple times that had they ordered a kind of cake that he does create, that he would service them in the making of it.

The ruling was just and protects the rights that are owed to him.

The OP is a cut-and-dry spin-job driven by an ideologically possessed SJW.

pr126

Gilgamesh

Quote from: pr126 on June 06, 2018, 11:28:31 PM
If the shop was owned by a Muslim, the case would have never got to the courts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdiqB_8l2k

It definitely would've gotten no media attention.

Imagine creating your entire worldview out of blatantly selective reporting by the dying legacy media

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2018, 11:17:15 PM
He refused the type of service they were asking for on the basis that he doesn't provide that sort of service. He's said multiple times that had they ordered a kind of cake that he does create, that he would service them in the making of it.

The ruling was just and protects the rights that are owed to him.

The OP is a cut-and-dry spin-job driven by an ideologically possessed SJW.

He doesn't make wedding cakes?

Interesting...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

Regardless of sexuality. You have the right to refuse someone service if you see fit to, as long as it is not in such a case that is blatant racism. I have Turned people away from my store becuase I dont recognize their ids or what have you
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 06, 2018, 11:47:40 PM
Regardless of sexuality. You have the right to refuse someone service if you see fit to, as long as it is not in such a case that is blatant racism. I have Turned people away from my store becuase I dont recognize their ids or what have you
Right.  Because it's unlawful to discriminate on the basis of race, but not unlawful to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in some states.

But the times they are a-changing and people with them.  Team Pence's victory will not be a lasting one.

pr126

It is only a discrimination when a Christian does it.

The media wouldn't touch it if a Muslim had refused to make the wedding cake.
In fact, I think that the couple wouldn't have even reported it.

Why, that would have been Islamophobic, racist.

As it is, it is just double standards.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on June 07, 2018, 12:47:31 AM
It is only a discrimination when a Christian does it.

The media wouldn't touch it if a Muslim had refused to make the wedding cake.
In fact, I think that the couple wouldn't have even reported it.

Why, that would have been Islamophobic, racist.

As it is, it is just double standards.

Sir, you are taking your identity politics to a 12. We want to ask you to at least bring it down to a 5.

pr126

Sir, (or is it Shir?) you are projecting.

Identity politics is a leftist (cultural Marxist) thing.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on June 07, 2018, 01:14:47 AM
Sir, (or is it Shir?) you are projecting.

Identity politics is a leftist (cultural Marxist) thing.

Mm. That's why your entire argument revolves around, "Their identity makes them different! They need to be treated differently!"?

That's identity politics, mate.

pr126

OK. mate, riddle me this.

If it was a Muslim shop owner refusing the order, would it be made such a brouhaha about the case right up to the supreme court, or would it have disappeared down the MSM memory hole?
Assuming that the happy couple would have even reported it.

Identity politics? Add double standards too.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on June 06, 2018, 11:44:56 PM
He doesn't make wedding cakes?

Interesting...

He does. He doesn't make wedding cakes with certain messages.

If they could prove that he's made pro-gay wedding cakes for straight people before then they'd have a case. But if he's consistent in not making wedding cakes with a pro-gay message, regardless of the sex or race of the customer ordering it, then that demonstrates that it's the type of service being refused; not the customer.

But you know this and are just being intentionally obtuse.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on June 07, 2018, 01:17:20 AM
Mm. That's why your entire argument revolves around, "Their identity makes them different! They need to be treated differently!"?

That's identity politics, mate.

Wasn't his argument the precise opposite of that..?