Colorado Gay Wedding Cake Case: Supreme Court Rules in Favour of Discrimination

Started by Shiranu, June 06, 2018, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2018, 03:34:39 PM
Christianity is an Abrahamic religion.
Yeah. My bad. I see what you wrote. This kind of thing is just on my mind whenever I hear a conservative talk about Muslim and mosque bans and how violent Muslims all are. The hypocrisy makes me die a little more each time.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gilgamesh

I have to disagree that christianity is just as political - or more - than islam. Islam is inseparable from politics.

Islam as a religion is fundamentally political. It mandates political action. There is a word for religions like this but I cannot recall since I'm drunk but yeah.

Disagree? Think about this: Libertarianism is hugely christian. A muslim libertarian is an oxymoron; they don't exist; you just will never find one.

Munch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 09, 2018, 05:48:00 PM
I have to disagree that christianity is just as political - or more - than islam. Islam is inseparable from politics.

Islam as a religion is fundamentally political. It mandates political action. There is a word for religions like this but I cannot recall since I'm drunk but yeah.

Disagree? Think about this: Libertarianism is hugely christian. A muslim libertarian is an oxymoron; they don't exist; you just will never find one.

You mean like a theocracy?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Munch on June 09, 2018, 05:54:06 PM
You mean like a theocracy?

Nope.

there's a word (I swear) for when a religion is fundamentally a political force as much as it is a religion. It exists, in part, to change any society it exists in.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 09, 2018, 06:08:16 PM
Nope.

there's a word (I swear) for when a religion is fundamentally a political force as much as it is a religion. It exists, in part, to change any society it exists in.
I think this describes Christianity in the USA.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

Quote from: Mermaid on June 09, 2018, 06:25:30 PM
I think this describes Christianity in the USA.

Seriously. We have congressmen, senators, presidents, governors, etc. who make their core policy position the fact they are going to be enforcing Christian morals. We have an entire political party that runs as a "Christian platform" and currently is the majority party... how many Muslims in the United States can say the same?

Like, I get it, but priorities man... priorities.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

As if Christianity was never political in the past! There were many centuries in which Christianity was completely inseparable from politics, but in America the two were forcibly separated by our founding fathers. Now that separation is being eroded bit by ugly bit.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 09, 2018, 06:39:48 PM
Seriously. We have congressmen, senators, presidents, governors, etc. who make their core policy position the fact they are going to be enforcing Christian morals. We have an entire political party that runs as a "Christian platform" and currently is the majority party... how many Muslims in the United States can say the same?

Like, I get it, but priorities man... priorities.

Easy comrade Shiranu/Mermaid ... just send them to Alaska (American Siberia).  You know you want to ;-)

If the majority of people in the US were Hindu, I suppose you would piss on every Ganesh statue you see.  Not "piss Christ".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 09, 2018, 03:32:28 PM
I think it does apply to Christians, very much so.  Americans tend to look at Christianity as civilized and not dangerous, but Christian motives always seek control over others.  I consider this dangerous, because I see no end to them ever being satisfied.  Currently, there are enough secularly minded people to fight back.  Christians don't like that.  They want more power.  Power mongers are never a good thing, and with their presence, everyone's freedoms are always at risk.

Christians took over in the 4th century CE ... where have you been?  Too bad you weren't alive then, to warn them of the danger ... kackles madly ...

Don't like power?  So are you anarchist?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2018, 03:34:39 PM
Christianity is an Abrahamic religion.

Aka all the Jews fault ;-)  Without Jews, we would all be materialist atheists ... ah ... but why is Israel today, so atheist/materialist?  Doesn't compute.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on June 09, 2018, 05:10:42 PM
Unfortunately this is not just a conservative paranoia because it is a human trait, a evolutionary one perhaps to push slowly,,, little by little...the old saying "give them an inch and they will take a mile" is well rooted in human behavior of every stripe and ideology. It is that way because it is the most successful way to gain. Piece by piece...inch by inch. Everyone knows it, everyone understands it. This is why every stigma, every prejudice is rooted mostly in semi-truths. You don't get to fuck the girl next door the first time you meet her......first you have to say, "Hi"

ME version ... don't let camel get his nose under the edge of the tent, or he will end up fully in the tent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 09, 2018, 05:48:00 PM

Libertarianism is Calvinist ... so some claim (aka capitalism started in Netherlands and nearby London England).  Humanitarianism is Christian in general, when they serve the poor here and over there.  Of course not all Christians serve the poor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 09, 2018, 06:51:14 PM
As if Christianity was never political in the past! There were many centuries in which Christianity was completely inseparable from politics, but in America the two were forcibly separated by our founding fathers. Now that separation is being eroded bit by ugly bit.

Been eroded since about 1800 (new Great Awakening aka revival).  Thank goodness it was the Marxists in the Union who liberated the slaves ;-)  Marx at the time was the London correspondent for the NYT.

No, there has been a tiny erosion since 2016 ... so better hide under your bed, snowflakes.  There are Nazi sturmstruppen on every corner now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Like I said. You'll never see a muslim libertarian - because their religion compels them to erode the culture of any society they exist in, and to replace it with sharia. Their religion necessitates this.

Yeah, if you're a theist an authoritarian, you're authoritarianism is going to be informed by your theism, obviously - but most religions don't have authoritarianism built-in like islam.

Shiranu

QuoteIf the majority of people in the US were Hindu, I suppose you would piss on every Ganesh statue you see.  Not "piss Christ".

This actually goes right to my point; if I was in India, then I wouldn't be losing my shit over Christian fundamentalists being the imminent threat to my culture when Hindu fundamentalists run the country. In Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't be complaining that feminists are ruining the country while I was ruled by a  Wahhabist supporting monarchy.

So why in the U.S., where Muslims and feminists are simply not a relevant issue, am I suppose to be more concerned about them when I have actual problems running the government?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur