News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Checking forum ranks and saw this

Started by PureEvil, May 31, 2018, 04:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PureEvil

Just kinda thought it was funny that of all sites these 2 are right next to each other.

Baruch

Quote from: PureEvil on May 31, 2018, 04:13:18 AM
Just kinda thought it was funny that of all sites these 2 are right next to each other.

I can't speak for Christianity Board, but maybe they need more exciting posters.

Prejudiced people like us mostly prefer Atheistforums.com over Athiestforums.org ... some post both.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Accidental Humorous Juxtaposition Board is still ranked #1
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

It seems to me that when cable and satellite TV first got popular, that Christian stations occupied the spaces of the bandwidth close to their competitors.  I can't remember who the competitors were.  Cinemax?  Science channels?  Playboy?

At any rate, someone suggested it was intentional and a marketing tool.  I can't remember how the strategy was theorized, but I remember thinking it made sense.  On the other hand, I wondered if some number cruncher just organized it by putting what he considered all the weird kinky stuff in one spot.  And Christianity and Playboy deal pretty much with the same content.  They just approach it from different perspectives.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've noticed clustering on Dish and DirectTV. Religious channels, seventeen of them last time I counted, were in their own clump. This was probably to save people from seeing things they shouldn't see, like CNN.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I would have expected Christianity to be near he top judging by the way Christian stations occupy so much of the airwaves on radio and TV.  I would have also expected Atheism to occupy the lower end of the list. 

But those atheists that feel so out of touch that they need a place to talk are a highly motivated subset of the atheist population at large.  I don't think most atheists need to talk about it, and I've wondered why I'm so different from the many atheists I associate with in real time.  Is there something "wrong" with me?  Or is there something "wrong" with them?

Obviously, I don't actually see a right or wrong in this, but I wonder why some need it so much that we see so many forums dedicated to the subject?  Most people don't hang out in such serious forums, but most people hang out in places like Facebook and Twitter.

Munch

I've never really cared about these kind of ranking systems. I've been on larger forums, and it gets a bit tedious being drowned out by the endless streams of posts.
This forum feels more like a rural village, or a community centre
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2018, 12:09:09 PM
I've never really cared about these kind of ranking systems. I've been on larger forums, and it gets a bit tedious being drowned out by the endless streams of posts.

I can't quite figure out why the rankings matter (or even mean).  Is there some sort of competition?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 01, 2018, 12:57:54 AM
I can't quite figure out why the rankings matter (or even mean).  Is there some sort of competition?

To some people, anything is a competition, that sense of euphoria with being higher then someone else.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on June 01, 2018, 10:48:40 AM
To some people, anything is a competition, that sense of euphoria with being higher then someone else.
I think a person would have to work pretty hard to think of a pleasurable activity people enjoy that someone hasn't turned into a competition.  And I'm talking about sanctioned competitions like those in the Olympics.

Jason78

Maybe we should sort out some kind of inter-forum swap thing?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2018, 12:47:55 PM
I think a person would have to work pretty hard to think of a pleasurable activity people enjoy that someone hasn't turned into a competition.  And I'm talking about sanctioned competitions like those in the Olympics.

Well, I had a college friend who would kill to win at penny poker.

aitm

Quote from: Jason78 on June 01, 2018, 01:39:38 PM
Maybe we should sort out some kind of inter-forum swap thing?

years ago when About.com had an atheist forum and christian forum we and they use to gang slam each others forum. It was all in good fun and we each went easy on each other during the slams. Now when it was one on one it was a different story but the slams were fun. Usually 6-10 peeps would gang up and hit em. Still if was fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 05, 2018, 05:34:53 PM
years ago when About.com had an atheist forum and christian forum we and they use to gang slam each others forum. It was all in good fun and we each went easy on each other during the slams. Now when it was one on one it was a different story but the slams were fun. Usually 6-10 peeps would gang up and hit em. Still if was fun.

I did that a decade or 2 ago.  Then I grew up...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on May 31, 2018, 12:09:09 PM
Reddit was like posting on machine gun bullets for me. Post, it disappears, post again...
PZ Myers