How many conservative/Republican atheists are on here?

Started by PureEvil, May 31, 2018, 03:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: PureEvil on May 31, 2018, 10:21:10 PM
I would say Trump is the perfect example that voting works or counts. He was not supposed to win and everyone in the media thought it wasnt possible, but they forget that the majority of the country is very conservative. If you look at the middle of the US its hard to find a liberal state.
Quick question: where do you think people in the US live?  Spread out evenly, more in the middle, or more towards the coast?

Figuring that out would go a long way towards helping you realize why the apparent sea of red on election maps is somewhat misleading.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2018, 08:26:55 AM
I had a similar reaction to that video.  As incendiary rhetoric, it accomplishes it's goal.  It includes a wide selection of attacks on the target, and equally offends the left while it delights the right.  But... and this is a big "But," it generalizes against the whole left with accusations that describe a small subset of the extreme.

While some of the accusations do actually describe a subgroup, they do not accurately describe the whole, and the generalizations are seldom, if ever, supported.  They are unjustified claims assembled for the purpose of spewing hatred.  I kept wondering who this guy is.  He looks mature and reputable, but when he opens his mouth, he fails to explain why such an emotional level of hatred might even be justified. 

He's a four year old hidden in a grownup body telling his parents how much he hates them.  As parents, its good to recognize your child's true emotional state, and as parents, you make exceptions for that emotional state, because the child is four.  But adults are expected to have developed a sense of reason and an understanding that emotions are something entirely separate from reason, and they are expected to explain their emotional state with a modicum of rational support.

Article or video?  There is one of each ...

The video ... well, the Left isn't infantile, it is over 200 years old.  Modern Leftists are descended from French revolutionaries ... and as the fathers of the original Terror, they were excoriated by Edmund Burke back then.  I have to agree with Edmund Burke.  Of course ignore the fact that France went from genocidal madness to military dictatorship to empire.  Then back to monarchy.  Are y'all Coneheads ... claiming you are from France?

The article ... yes, the American Left has heartburn over the last election.  If they keep it up, being geniuses like Wile E Coyote ... they will fail again in 2018.  For those who are still living out their youth in the 1960s (some of you are old enough) ... well maybe you need to grow up.  Fact is, many adults fail to grow up.  That is one of Jordan Peterson's points.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2018, 11:32:52 AM
Article or video?  There is one of each ...

The video ... well, the Left isn't infantile, it is over 200 years old.  Modern Leftists are descended from French revolutionaries ... and as the fathers of the original Terror, they were excoriated by Edmund Burke back then.  I have to agree with Edmund Burke.  Of course ignore the fact that France went from genocidal madness to military dictatorship to empire.  Then back to monarchy.  Are y'all Coneheads ... claiming you are from France?

The article ... yes, the American Left has heartburn over the last election.  If they keep it up, being geniuses like Wile E Coyote ... they will fail again in 2018.  For those who are still living out their youth in the 1960s (some of you are old enough) ... well maybe you need to grow up.  Fact is, many adults fail to grow up.  That is one of Jordan Peterson's points.
This sounds like a parody of the guy in the video.

Jason78

I'm a UK Liberal, which I think makes me a US communist.   Or a French Tory.

I'm not sure.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on June 01, 2018, 01:27:49 PM
I'm a UK Liberal, which I think makes me a US communist.   Or a French Tory.

I'm not sure.

Toy poodle, by the looks of it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2018, 12:52:07 PM
This sounds like a parody of the guy in the video.

OK, you must mean the Rubin Report segment.  He didn't say all Left is regressive, just some of it.  If they regressed properly, they would speak French and set up a guillotine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2018, 07:24:58 PM
OK, you must mean the Rubin Report segment.  He didn't say all Left is regressive, just some of it.
Laced into this typical type of generalized ranting, the snake oil guy often uses the tactic of taking a moment to step back and admit that he is not talking about the entire [group being attacked,] but it's just an empty attempt to claim reason.  But even after claiming reason, he continues talking about an extreme while attributing that behavior to the left as a whole.

So while you are technically accurate when you say, "But... but he said he wasn't talking about the entire group," the fact is he continues to refer to the entire group as members of the extreme, and his rhetoric doesn't support his vacuous claim.

This is a common political tactic.  It's also used by some Democrats against Republicans, but not quite as often.  Either way, used by the right or the left, it's a fallacy, acceptable as a tool for misleading propaganda, but not much else. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 02, 2018, 07:54:20 AM
Laced into this typical type of generalized ranting, the snake oil guy often uses the tactic of taking a moment to step back and admit that he is not talking about the entire [group being attacked,] but it's just an empty attempt to claim reason.  But even after claiming reason, he continues talking about an extreme while attributing that behavior to the left as a whole.

So while you are technically accurate when you say, "But... but he said he wasn't talking about the entire group," the fact is he continues to refer to the entire group as members of the extreme, and his rhetoric doesn't support his vacuous claim.

This is a common political tactic.  It's also used by some Democrats against Republicans, but not quite as often.  Either way, used by the right or the left, it's a fallacy, acceptable as a tool for misleading propaganda, but not much else.

If one happens to be a member of a group that is denigrated ... do you say "Not a true Scotsman" or "Don't trigger my sensitive feelings"?  I happen to think that the Left is necessary ... as a corrective to the Right, provided that only arguments are exchanged, not death camps.  I see the Marxist Left as inherently anti-human ... to Marx we are part of a giant historical machine that inevitably grinds toward progress ... which is an ideal mechanized society (now robotics and AI) where there are free lunches and no government (anarchism) ... and with death defying medicine advances, even death, almost ... is defeated.  Heaven on Earth (aka Marx got it from Hegel who got it from Rousseau ... who helps inspire the French Revolution).  If you study their biographies, both Marx and Rousseau were sociopaths if not psychopaths.

So ... we should instead use no labels ... there are no Democrats, no Republicans.  We should support or oppose each politician on each individual current or proposed policy?  Great, if you live in a small New England village where everyone knows everyone else.  On the other hand, there are 1000 different Left groups and 1000 different Right groups (that share some insider ideology) ... how can we cope?

Well here is my position ... I oppose every utopian (as insane) and every politician (as grifter) .. so utopian politics is my biggest bug-bear.  I would rather blow the planet up that have such maniacs (see Hitler et al) get too much power.  Utopians should be in padded cells and politicians should be in jail.  The Nazis should be, then and now .... exterminated.  The Communists should be, then and now ... exterminated ... as the feral monsters that they are.  Mad dogs all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 02, 2018, 08:14:58 AM
So ... we should instead use no labels ... there are no Democrats, no Republicans. 
I don't have problems with labels, but we should use caution and be fair when applying them.  That seems like the middle ground.  Even then they can be abused, but I wouldn't throw out labels.  They are still helpful.  Throw out the water, not the baby.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 02, 2018, 08:23:54 AM
I don't have problems with labels, but we should use caution and be fair when applying them.  That seems like the middle ground.  Even then they can be abused, but I wouldn't throw out labels.  They are still helpful.  Throw out the water, not the baby.

Ah, but you are one of the reasonable ones.  Not like those on other forums/youtubes who are nuts.  And it is those nuts who drive the conversation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

If you want to know who the conservatives are, start a thread praising Islam and/or feminism. You'll get your answer within the span of about five minutes.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PureEvil

Quote from: Baruch on June 01, 2018, 03:55:31 AM
Being exactly on the line between libertarian and authoritarian seems suspicious.  Like he took the test multiple times until he got the result he wanted? ;-)

I only took the test once, answered how i thought and that is where it came out. I see no point in making up a false result.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 02, 2018, 08:38:39 PM
If you want to know who the conservatives are, start a thread praising Islam and/or feminism. You'll get your answer within the span of about five minutes.

I don't see the correlation. Myself and most of my friends are NOT conservative and yet we hate both islam and feminism.

trdsf

I'm largely in agreement with this.  I have a lot more common cause with social libertarians than I do economic libertarians.

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Ye Gads!  I'm off the chart.