News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Right To Try

Started by PickelledEggs, May 31, 2018, 02:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I don't like Trump, but credit where credit is due, I think this is a good call. This could bring about some great things
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/05/30/president-trump-signs-right-try-bill-jordan-mclinn-joe-donnelly-duchenne/657513002/

Jason78

Isn't this a law allowing doctors to experiment on the terminally ill?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jason78 on May 31, 2018, 02:31:56 AM

The agency seems to be on the patient, not the doctor. The doctor can't just ignore the FDA, but their patients can. Imagine trying all of the federally approved treatments, with no results, and hearing about a new treatment that seems promising but hasn't gone through FDA approval yet. Would you want to wait several years for FDA requirements to be met and the treatment given the green light?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Doctors experiment on all their patients ... we can only hope there are more positive results than not.  Have you ever read the side effects of every medication in The Pill Book?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

If push comes to shove and I am sure to die from some particular thing, I should have the right to consider treatments that I think MIGHT work after some research.  I wouldn't have a lot to lose.

If someone complains that it is "nearly suicide", well, I let my life insurance expire years ago.  And who's life is it, anyway. 

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

"Soul" being a poetic analogy of existence in my case, of course...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2018, 11:37:38 PM
And who's life is it, anyway. 

Ha! Sounds like a game show.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

PickelledEggs

In a way of speaking, yes. But only when the terminally ill have tried other things and there isnt any other way they have a chance. They can opt to try something new...

Yes, it's basically making the terminally ill, lab rats. But it's with their consent in hopes of helping them and developing cures for things that we might not otherwise have a way to figure out cures for... at least as quickly as this would be.

I honestly don't know why this wasn't done earlier

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 01, 2018, 04:19:31 PM
In a way of speaking, yes. But only when the terminally ill have tried other things and there isnt any other way they have a chance. They can opt to try something new...

Yes, it's basically making the terminally ill, lab rats. But it's with their consent in hopes of helping them and developing cures for things that we might not otherwise have a way to figure out cures for... at least as quickly as this would be.

I honestly don't know why this wasn't done earlier

Lawyers.  Ambulance chasers literally.  If the doctor/drug company can't be completely protected from lawsuit, in this extreme case, they can't take the chance of a lawsuit by the family of the patient etc.  But I don't see why the patient or guardian can't sign away the right to sue.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

_Xenu_

Trump is a moron, but he is right about this. If someone is terminal and nothing else is helping, they should be allowed to try anything they want.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Jason Harvestdancer

The alternative is to simply let them die.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Unbeliever

This will be a major boon to the pharmaceutical industry - might want to buy stock.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hijiri Byakuren

This is the second thing Trump has done which I actually like; the first being canceling the TPP. I hope this is a sign of things to come, and that maybe our president is shaping up to be more, er, presidential.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Im not sure this is a sign of anything, @Hijiri Byakuren lol

I mean, a broken clock is right two times a day. Trump was right 2 times his entire presidency so far...

Shiranu

I promise this is not because of Trump but instead personal experience, but in my opinion I think this a horrible thing for the consumer and patient. I don't buy this was passed to benefit the patient for a second.

I'll elaborate more when I get home.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Patient participation is strictly voluntary. Clinical studies are conducted for every single new drug out there on human patients.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR