How the Modern World Makes Us Mentally Ill

Started by GSOgymrat, May 29, 2018, 03:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cavebear on June 01, 2018, 12:26:27 AM
I don't do Twitter or Facebook either.  I suspected them from the start.  I visit those places most likely to help me think while also least likely to gather my information. 

The only social media I participate in is this forum and I repeatedly question whether doing so is good for me. My reservations have nothing to do with people here but rather whether I should be broadcasting my thoughts publically. I did quit for a year.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 01, 2018, 07:53:27 AM
The only social media I participate in is this forum and I repeatedly question whether doing so is good for me. My reservations have nothing to do with people here but rather whether I should be broadcasting my thoughts publically. I did quit for a year.
LOL.  I've wondered the same thing, and this is my only social media also.  I worry about thinking out loud too, but I don't think we are any worse here than people on facebook who spout off in front of people who actually know them.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 01, 2018, 07:53:27 AM

I am also currently concerned about security problems here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

People say "mental illness" like it's a bad thing. The most interesting people in history tended to be the crazy ones.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2018, 12:40:57 PM
People say "mental illness" like it's a bad thing. The most interesting people in history tended to be the crazy ones.
Or, as I've been known to say, I don't suffer from insanity, I revel in it.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2018, 12:40:57 PM

Yes, Hitler wasn't boring, was he.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 01, 2018, 01:32:09 PM

When I was a boy, I Revelled in it (model kits).

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Consider that 200 years ago, it was relatively common for children to be considered adults in their early teens. I really consider our ancestors to be incredibly strong compared to us today. 3,4,500 years ago ,children were raped and parents killed and sold off into slavery and many escaped and STILL were able to have somewhat normal lives. Millions of stories that will never be heard overcome the few odd-balls that we do. Early american children, like elsewhere in the world were pretty much fighting for their lives as soon as they could walk, working the garden or field or livestock and many died working livestock.

And by the way, had absolutely no power in dealing with employers, and there was no government to really help, and the vast majority of the world had no real authority. Imagine life like that? Fuck that. Let me complain about the bad day I had....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on June 01, 2018, 01:32:09 PM
I'm not insane, but I'm a carrier.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on June 01, 2018, 07:43:30 PM
Consider that 200 years ago, it was relatively common for children to be considered adults in their early teens. I really consider our ancestors to be incredibly strong compared to us today. 3,4,500 years ago ,children were raped and parents killed and sold off into slavery and many escaped and STILL were able to have somewhat normal lives. Millions of stories that will never be heard overcome the few odd-balls that we do. Early american children, like elsewhere in the world were pretty much fighting for their lives as soon as they could walk, working the garden or field or livestock and many died working livestock.
Dude, they were largely batshit in those days without heavy duty trauma. They believe in witches and spells and incubus/succubus attacks and demon possessions. Just your basic horror show.
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2018, 09:25:45 PM
Dude, they were largely batshit in those days without heavy duty trauma. They believe in witches and spells and incubus/succubus attacks and demon possessions. Just your basic horror show.

Given the life they suffered, I grant them whatever the fuck they could conceive of to survive. The piss-ant of all of them walk over any of today's Rambo's and laugh at the simplicity.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Drugs kept them going.  They weren't illegal ... the soy boys hadn't been castrated yet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

In fairness, we have "modern" people who wear tinfoil hats, start moral panics about alleged satanic cults, and think stuff like D&D and Harry Potter are pathways into the occult (implying that the fictional magic therein is somehow real).  Granted, there are no resulting hangings nowadays and this stuff isn't as popular and influential as it used to be, but batshit still has a big checkmark.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on June 01, 2018, 10:07:47 PM
Given the life they suffered, I grant them whatever the fuck they could conceive of to survive. The piss-ant of all of them walk over any of today's Rambo's and laugh at the simplicity.
"If you hang long enough, you get used to being hung."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 02, 2018, 12:45:33 AM
In fairness, we have "modern" people who wear tinfoil hats, start moral panics about alleged satanic cults, and think stuff like D&D and Harry Potter are pathways into the occult (implying that the fictional magic therein is somehow real).  Granted, there are no resulting hangings nowadays and this stuff isn't as popular and influential as it used to be, but batshit still has a big checkmark.
The difference between burning books and burning people is noticeable to the trained eye.
PZ Myers