Memorial day isn't just about soldiers ...

Started by Baruch, May 28, 2018, 02:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

It started in the US, as a memorial to Civil War soldiers, but by my mother's generation it applied to all graves in cemeteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rle1L7mOyF4

Basically you were remembering ancestors at the family grave site as a picnic, which goes back to the Bronze Age in Egypt etc.  My grandparents had a picnic at the old burying ground and played baseball.

By my time it was decorating anyone's grave site, since few families have picnics in cemeteries anymore ... and basically you are giving "remembrance" to people who don't have living descendants or who are otherwise not remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWT9H5NKYQ

The origin lies in African-American culture.  This is an example of absorption of a sub-culture by the larger culture.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

One day that I think is another day. I don't give a flyshit if its suppose to be "holy" I know some men that died were aholes. Looking at you Civil war Southern Slavers.

Also I know that some soldiers were men and women who wanted to serve the country (even though they re just used politically for some douche in office), but most go in for money and career and when come out they think their better than normal citizens and have their own shitty fanclub.

On Memorial day, I look to the past and say America, you have been born with blood on your hands and now your hypocritical corrupted bitch.

Shiranu

Of course it is... it's also a great opportunity to further your brand image!

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 28, 2018, 02:58:18 PM
One day that I think is another day. I don't give a flyshit if its suppose to be "holy" I know some men that died were aholes. Looking at you Civil war Southern Slavers.

Also I know that some soldiers were men and women who wanted to serve the country (even though they re just used politically for some douche in office), but most go in for money and career and when come out they think their better than normal citizens and have their own shitty fanclub.

On Memorial day, I look to the past and say America, you have been born with blood on your hands and now your hypocritical corrupted bitch.

Americans don't have "holy" days, they have holidays.  Not the same.  Church of indulgence stuff.  Don't like blood?  Drain it out, after you pluck out your eyes for being offensive?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 28, 2018, 03:32:27 PM
Of course it is... it's also a great opportunity to further your brand image!

All Presidents of the US do that.  In some countries, President isn't also Commander in Chief (see Ireland or Israel).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on May 28, 2018, 05:19:38 PM
Americans don't have "holy" days, they have holidays.  Not the same.  Church of indulgence stuff.  Don't like blood?  Drain it out, after you pluck out your eyes for being offensive?

To the American people it is.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Baruch on May 28, 2018, 02:31:56 PM
Basically you were remembering ancestors at the family grave site as a picnic, which goes back to the Bronze Age in Egypt etc.  My grandparents had a picnic at the old burying ground and played baseball.

By my time it was decorating anyone's grave site, since few families have picnics in cemeteries anymore ... and basically you are giving "remembrance" to people who don't have living descendants or who are otherwise not remembered.

In the rural south, it's called Decoration Day. There are still plenty of people participating. Including the picnic part. That's called Dinner on the Grounds.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 28, 2018, 07:35:07 PM
To the American people it is.

Holy days vs Holidays?  Bible thumping Christians would completely deny that.  Ever hear about the controversy over Christmas?  Or are you saying that consumerism is the American religion ... in which case you might have a point.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

America's first openly gay soldier, when being an openly gay soldier was not permitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Matlovich

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 28, 2018, 05:19:38 PM

The terms derive from the same meaning.  The meaning only separated when secular events began to occur as separate from theistic ones.

And some were always secular.  Solstices, for example.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 29, 2018, 03:11:32 PM
You mean, like, when it was banned - by Christians?

Yeah, don't get me started on Christians stealing holidays and inventing new ones to cover the local ones over.  I could write a book!  I would start with Christmas being Jesus's birth day (assuming there actually was a Jesus)...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on May 28, 2018, 10:55:58 PM
Holy days vs Holidays?  Bible thumping Christians would completely deny that.  Ever hear about the controversy over Christmas?  Or are you saying that consumerism is the American religion ... in which case you might have a point.

Metaphorically as Nationalism.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 28, 2018, 11:59:40 PM
America's first openly gay soldier, when being an openly gay soldier was not permitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Matlovich

Baron Von Steuben kept a younger boyfriend in his tent at Valley Forge.  Washington knew.  But he was a German mercenary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on May 29, 2018, 06:11:02 PM
Metaphorically as Nationalism.

So are you George Soros?  How is globalism good for you?  Have you lost your job to China or India yet?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.