Ireland Overwhelmingly Votes in Favour of Abortion, Womens Rights

Started by Shiranu, May 26, 2018, 02:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

For once, I can post a bit of good news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44256152

QuoteThe Republic of Ireland has voted overwhelmingly to overturn the abortion ban by 66.4% to 33.6%.

A referendum held on Friday resulted in a landslide win for the repeal side.

Currently, abortion is only allowed when a woman's life is at risk, but not in cases of rape, incest or fatal foetal abnormality.

The Eighth Amendment, which grants an equal right to life to the mother and unborn, will be replaced.

87% of young voters voted in favour of repealing the abortion ban. Just like Brexit, it was young people who had to try to be the voice of reason... and I think that's something we Americans need to learn from. Ireland, from LGBT rights to women rights in an extremely conservative and Catholic country, is having it's bigoted and sexist laws torn down by young people getting out and voting.

If we want to see positive change in the United States, we have got to encourage our youth to get out and vote, show them that even in more conservative countries like Ireland the youth are overpowering the conservative, bigoted elderly and getting the changes that need to be made done.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Yes, stop breeding. We need the space and resources for the third world migrants.
Replacing you with those who will vote for us.

Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, Europe for everybody?

Munch

sorry Pr, but for once I'm going to have to agree totally with Shiranu on this one.

I'm not lost on the fact europe, including uk and ireland, faces the ever growing issue of migrants flooding in, that is a problem and it will only get worse.

But fact of the matter is, the reasoning that 'we need more babies of our own kind' as the excuse for why there shouldn't be abortions is just fucked up. Because is sents a very messed up notion that women who are raped should still have children, women who face serious birth complications and who could die without an abortion, or just sets up a bit of a nieve idea that every woman whos having a babies wants the baby, and it won't end up in a foster home abandoned and unloved.

Sorry but you have this so wrong this time. This is a medical procedure to give women who have been raped, or have unwanted pregnancies since sometimes contraceptives fail, to give them the chance to not either face an unwanted child or die to such complications.

I put forward the case of Savita Halappanavar.

QuoteSavita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old Indian dentist, died on 28 October 2012 at University Hospital Galway in Ireland due to the complications of a septic miscarriage at 17 weeks' gestation. The miscarriage took seven days to unfold, and early in the process, when it was clear that the miscarriage was inevitable, Halappanavar requested an abortion. At that time the medical team had not diagnosed her with a blood infection, and her request was denied because the medical team did not judge that her life was in danger. The medical team eventually did diagnose the sepsis and began trying to treat it, and when they determined that Halappanavar's life was in danger they had planned to administer misoprostol to induce delivery, but the miscarriage completed before they were able to. The sepsis continued developing and she died of cardiac arrest caused by the sepsis.[1]:22-53 Her death caused controversy at the time, nationally and internationally, leading to protests and marches.

After her death, a Coroner’s Inquest was held, finding that she died of medical misadventure.[2] The HSE and HIQA conducted an investigation. Both criticized the team for not diagnosing the sepsis soon enough and for not using already-standard screening tools for detecting and managing maternal sepsis, and for poor keeping of medical records, poor communication at shift changes, and failure to notify staff with needed expertise, and criticized the administration of the hospital for the poor system in which the team failed. They made recommendations about training and policies for the hospital locally along with a number of national recommendations, including the creation of a laboratory system to coordinate a national response to emerging microbial threats.[3] The HSE also recommended changes to the legal situation and training of doctors about the law.[1]

The law in force at the time (the Offences against the Person Act 1861), stated that the act of abortion, where there was no immediate physiological threat to the woman's life to continue the pregnancy, was a criminal offence punishable by life imprisonment. Following a ruling of the Supreme Court of Ireland in 1992â€"now known in Ireland as the X caseâ€"terminations are allowed under certain circumstances, where "a pregnant woman's life is at risk because of pregnancy, including the risk of suicide".[4] However at the time of Halappanavar's death, there was legal uncertainty regarding the precise circumstances in which this exception to preserve the life of the mother would apply in practice, as the matter had not yet been enacted in legislation. The Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 2013 was passed as a result of her death.

Until recent, ireland was still under such theocratic rule of the church, and only now have managed to pull themselves out of such dark ages governing them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

I guess the scandals of the past few years have encouraged them to take a good look at the RCC, and regardless of the great new pope, who was put in place for PR purposes, they may be finally waking up to the harm religion can do.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Shiranu on May 26, 2018, 02:12:26 PM
Just like Brexit, it was young people who had to try to be the voice of reason..........

If we want to see positive change in the United States, we have got to encourage our youth to get out and vote,

Oh I think its coming like a giant tsunami. If it does, it shall be very impactful...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 26, 2018, 03:30:56 PM
Oh I think its coming like a giant tsunami. If it does, it shall be very impactful...

The future always belongs to young adults, every decade.  For better or worse.  My parents didn't approve of Baby Boomers either.  But once we graduated from college, or Vietnam, and stopped doing drugs and orgies ... got a job, married, had kids ... we settled down like always.

I think you don't find The Greening Of America to be ironic.  That movement died about the time the book came out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Times do change though...and never before has a generation been so socially aware and available for immediate response as now. Not to say they are any smarter or more socially conscious but certainly more available for immediate response. Whether better or worse.....meh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 26, 2018, 08:06:34 PM
Times do change though...and never before has a generation been so socially aware and available for immediate response as now. Not to say they are any smarter or more socially conscious but certainly more available for immediate response. Whether better or worse.....meh.

New technology reduces attention span to a femto-second ... improvement?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT1nObx_12c

We do not mention the importing of millions to Europe who has a  religion/culture that mandates 4 wives and unlimited offsprings.

More than half of the world’s population growth will be in Africa by 2050
QuoteBy 2050 around 2.2 billion people could be added to the global population and more than half of that growth will occur in Africa.

Africa will account for the highest population spurt with an additional 1.3 billion people on the continent, a new UN population report shows.

Baruch

EU is a continent of hippies?  Groovy, dude.  One giant Woodstock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Munch wrote:
QuoteSorry but you have this so wrong this time. This is a medical procedure to give women who have been raped, or have unwanted pregnancies since sometimes contraceptives fail, to give them the chance to not either face an unwanted child or die to such complications.
That's terrible.
How did those rapist and child molesters get to Europe?

Shiranu

QuoteAfrica for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, Europe for everybody?

QuoteHow did those rapist and child molesters get to Europe?

Damn, you aint even pretending to not be racist anymore. I'm proud you have become more comfortable in your own skin.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

This is the utopia we all crave for!

Inshallah, it will happen. The sooner the better.

If you disagree, you are a hater, a xenophobe, racist Islamophobic Nazi, scum of the earth.

Allah hu Akbar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hD7IffTJs

Of course, this could never happen to North America. Really.

pr126

Racist?

No, just inconsiderate not wanting to vacate the gene-pool for the more deserving.
Shame on me. I know. Very selfish.

The term “racist” has lost its power. Overused. Anyone not of “color” is racist by default.

White is not a color? Apparently not.
But I am not white. Kinda pinkish, until I get a good suntan.
When I lived in the Middle East, I was brown. Lots of sun!

A Kabuki artist is white.

[

Baruch

Import 1 billion Chinese. to Shiranu's dorm room.  He gets to pay for the pizza too!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.