Federal Agencies "Lose" Over 1,500 Refugee Children

Started by Shiranu, May 25, 2018, 11:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/politics/migrant-children-missing.html

QuoteWASHINGTON â€" A top official with the Department of Health and Human Services told members of Congress on Thursday that the agency had lost track of nearly 1,500 migrant children it placed with sponsors in the United States, raising concerns they could end up in the hands of human traffickers or be used as laborers by people posing as relatives.

The official, Steven Wagner, the acting assistant secretary of the agency’s Administration for Children and Families, disclosed during testimony before a Senate homeland security subcommittee that the agency had learned of the missing children after placing calls to the people who took responsibility for them when they were released from government custody.

The children were taken into government care after they showed up alone at the Southwest border. Most of the children are from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, and were fleeing drug cartels, gang violence and domestic abuse, government data shows.

Mind you, Trump/Sessions and the ilk have just in the last week or so passed regulation that parents and children caught crossing the border shall be forcefully separated and as Pence or Sessions so eloquently put it (I am blanking on which, they are both horrible human beings) so eloquently stated, "They will be taken care of, or whatever.".

Edit: And to avoid making a new thread for a similar topic...

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/389407-aclu-border-agents-physically-abused-migrant-children

The ACLU and Chicago Law School International Human Rights Clinic, based on several thousand pages of documentation, are accusing the border patrol of abusing refugee children, from physical abuse and sexual assault to deprivation of food, water and sleep.

Whatever you think of the immigration issue, Border Patrol are not the good guys. Cracking down on it does not make you the good guy. This is one of the worst human right's violations being committed by a first world country, and we deserve to be utterly ashamed and to be reprimanded by the rest of the world.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Nope, the fuzz aren't the good guys.  Stay out of their way, and don't trigger them.  But at least the US border isn't like the Gaza border yet.  And even Detroit isn't like Aleppo, yet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuotePut pressure on the Democrats to end the horrible law that separates children from there parents once they cross the Border into the U.S. Catch and Release, Lottery and Chain must also go with it and we MUST continue building the WALL! DEMOCRATS ARE PROTECTING MS-13 THUGS.

Tweet, today, from the president.

The guy who implemented the separate children from parents laws.

From another tweet...

Quote1500 kids fleeing from abuse are lost.

Instead of caring about finding the kids under his watch...Donald Trump blames Democrats.

Thank you to everyone who did not vote in Nov 2016 because “both candidates were equally horrible.”
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Actually any person given a chance, is terrible.  So you feel sorry for Central American terrorists?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on May 25, 2018, 11:37:09 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/us/politics/migrant-children-missing.html

Mind you, Trump/Sessions and the ilk have just in the last week or so passed regulation that parents and children caught crossing the border shall be forcefully separated and as Pence or Sessions so eloquently put it (I am blanking on which, they are both horrible human beings) so eloquently stated, "They will be taken care of, or whatever.".

Edit: And to avoid making a new thread for a similar topic...

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/389407-aclu-border-agents-physically-abused-migrant-children

The ACLU and Chicago Law School International Human Rights Clinic, based on several thousand pages of documentation, are accusing the border patrol of abusing refugee children, from physical abuse and sexual assault to deprivation of food, water and sleep.

Whatever you think of the immigration issue, Border Patrol are not the good guys. Cracking down on it does not make you the good guy. This is one of the worst human right's violations being committed by a first world country, and we deserve to be utterly ashamed and to be reprimanded by the rest of the world.

Naturally, the response of the Trump Administration has been to make the whole situation worse...

I once saw a quote saying "The human intelligence on the planet is finite and the population is growing".  I don't completely agree, but I think the author had a point.  We are getting less able to control our overuse of resources, and we are causing actually damage to our own survival. 

In the past, we have simply moved to places with more resources.  There isn't much left. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 05:39:13 AM
Naturally, the response of the Trump Administration has been to make the whole situation worse...

I once saw a quote saying "The human intelligence on the planet is finite and the population is growing".  I don't completely agree, but I think the author had a point.  We are getting less able to control our overuse of resources, and we are causing actually damage to our own survival. 

In the past, we have simply moved to places with more resources.  There isn't much left.

Crapification is the main strategy ;-(  Both in business and politics, creative destruction, destroy our company or country, before someone else does, and you can make a mint.

What you also said is true.  We are out of room.  Just ask the Chinese or Indians.  Siberia has plenty of open space, but who wants to live there?  Political prisoners, that's who!

There is another principle, found in social psychology.  The intelligent portion of an organization grows linearly, but the bureaucracy (multi-way social interaction) grows as the square.  So the bigger the organization, the smaller the percentage of people in it who are not a net loss to the mission.  Humanity as a whole, has this same problem.  So no, intelligence isn't constant, it just doesn't scale well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 07:13:05 AM
Crapification is the main strategy ;-(  Both in business and politics, creative destruction, destroy our company or country, before someone else does, and you can make a mint.

What you also said is true.  We are out of room.  Just ask the Chinese or Indians.  Siberia has plenty of open space, but who wants to live there?  Political prisoners, that's who!

There is another principle, found in social psychology.  The intelligent portion of an organization grows linearly, but the bureaucracy (multi-way social interaction) grows as the square.  So the bigger the organization, the smaller the percentage of people in it who are not a net loss to the mission.  Humanity as a whole, has this same problem.  So no, intelligence isn't constant, it just doesn't scale well.

Maybe we better send a bucket of pond scum water to Mars on the next ship.  Though how they will survive the perchlorate I can't say. 

BTW, "The Martian" movie?  He couldn't have grown potatoes there.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 07:25:02 AM
Maybe we better send a bucket of pond scum water to Mars on the next ship.  Though how they will survive the perchlorate I can't say. 

BTW, "The Martian" movie?  He couldn't have grown potatoes there.

Why, wasn't he Irish? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 01:39:14 PM
Why, wasn't he Irish? ;-)

Well, first 2 words about the irish...  "potato blight"
Second, they weren't the only one who planted them.
Third, I'll repeat "perchlorate" in Martian soil.
And here might be a surprise to you.  You know what the deciding factor of the 100 years war was?    You can burn a field of wheat, but you can't burn a field of potatoes.  Where they grew potatoes, they won. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 01:48:33 PM
Well, first 2 words about the irish...  "potato blight"
Second, they weren't the only one who planted them.
Third, I'll repeat "perchlorate" in Martian soil.
And here might be a surprise to you.  You know what the deciding factor of the 100 years war was?    You can burn a field of wheat, but you can't burn a field of potatoes.  Where they grew potatoes, they won.

Really?  I thought it was because the English were scavenging savages, and the French were led by a miraculous French maid.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Can't say I'm surprised at this news.  It's not like we needed further data that the current (mal)administration doesn't give a fuck, least of all about anyone not white and wealthy.

Speaking as someone who works in a children services office, I want to know the qualifications of the families they placed these children with.  Are they actual foster families with training and state accreditation, or what?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 30, 2018, 08:27:50 PM
Can't say I'm surprised at this news.  It's not like we needed further data that the current (mal)administration doesn't give a fuck, least of all about anyone not white and wealthy.

Speaking as someone who works in a children services office, I want to know the qualifications of the families they placed these children with.  Are they actual foster families with training and state accreditation, or what?

1. Republicans are American Tories ... enough said
2. There are problems with foster parenting all over (many reports over decades).
3. Good luck finding enough acceptable foster parents ... there aren't enough acceptable natural parents
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 07:16:47 PM
Really?  I thought it was because the English were scavenging savages, and the French were led by a miraculous French maid.

As usual, you ignored most of my post and merely made a joke about the one thing you did mention. 

The French side of me admires the affect that Joan had on the French idiot royalty and the armies.  On the other hand, the rational side of me thinks she was a complete raving moron who belonged in an asylum.  And the English side of me says that burning her at the stake was a barbaric and cruel act but notes that it was Norman French royalty in charge of England who actually did that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
As usual, you ignored most of my post and merely made a joke about the one thing you did mention. 

The French side of me admires the affect that Joan had on the French idiot royalty and the armies.  On the other hand, the rational side of me thinks she was a complete raving moron who belonged in an asylum.  And the English side of me says that burning her at the stake was a barbaric and cruel act but notes that it was Norman French royalty in charge of England who actually did that.

You have two problems.  You want to control both sides of the conversation (see your behavior at work?).  And you want to hear praise.

Yes, historical figures and factions are ... deplorable.  But then all non-D-party people are ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

The United Nations is now saying this practice is an illegal act of violating international human rights...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/world/americas/us-un-migrant-children-families.html

Remember the good ol' days, when the United States was the protector of the free world, not the bane of it? Pepperidge farms remebers.