The Order of Chaos: An Antidote to Meaning

Started by Sal1981, May 25, 2018, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 02:32:02 PM
By "mandated pronouns" do you mean constructions like hir and hem or his/her?  Just asking.

New pronouns isn't an issue.  Ms wasn't.  The problem is mandated stuff, the freedom lobby here loves mandates ... and not just the gay guys.

Don't like post-modern cultural-Marxism caricature?  Then don't be a Soviet cartoon from the 1930s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvP4GBDvF8

Everything sucks. Why does everything suck? Because of pain & suffering that permeates existence.

We use humor to diffuse suffering. Makes suffering and pain more bearable. T.J. views optimism as us lying to ourselves and uses the parable of the fox and the "sour" grapes to illustrate this. Overall he views pessimism as an overall counter to suffering, for someone's faults is someone else's gain.

Gives some somewhat traditional arguments about God's lack of existence means any values we give to God are likewise nonexistent. As such, we're the progenitors of meaning and without us there's none to be had.

Mentions how we have made Heaven of Hell, and gives examples of how we've terraformed the planet and our ingenuity thereto.

Explains how we have tried to replace God with art and how spirituality has died out with our lost sense of meaning. That meaning is a trick of the mind, and with optimistic nihilism we're able to create our own meaning out from the chaos, while not deluding ourselves of how there's "no magic in the world".

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 16, 2019, 11:40:48 AM

Everything sucks. Why does everything suck? Because of pain & suffering that permeates existence.

We use humor to diffuse suffering. Makes suffering and pain more bearable. T.J. views optimism as us lying to ourselves and uses the parable of the fox and the "sour" grapes to illustrate this. Overall he views pessimism as an overall counter to suffering, for someone's faults is someone else's gain.

Gives some somewhat traditional arguments about God's lack of existence means any values we give to God are likewise nonexistent. As such, we're the progenitors of meaning and without us there's none to be had.

Mentions how we have made Heaven of Hell, and gives examples of how we've terraformed the planet and our ingenuity thereto.

Explains how we have tried to replace God with art and how spirituality has died out with our lost sense of meaning. That meaning is a trick of the mind, and with optimistic nihilism we're able to create our own meaning out from the chaos, while not deluding ourselves of how there's "no magic in the world".

Of course we are "the progenitors of meaning".  We are all that is (I'll include any other mortal sentient beings)...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 26, 2019, 08:41:24 AM
Of course we are "the progenitors of meaning".  We are all that is (I'll include any other mortal sentient beings)...

Aka ... demi-gods.  Hence morality doesn't apply to us either.  Earth angels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 26, 2019, 10:40:27 AM
Aka ... demi-gods.  Hence morality doesn't apply to us either.  Earth angels.

I would say there are no angels, but that would be too simple.  I'll add that there are no humans with a direct connection to a non-existent deity.  So kiss your priest goodbye...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 26, 2019, 11:05:57 PM
I would say there are no angels, but that would be too simple.  I'll add that there are no humans with a direct connection to a non-existent deity.  So kiss your priest goodbye...

As a demi-god, I need no priests, unless you are volunteering ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.