And it was quite a bit earlier than I thought.

Started by trdsf, May 24, 2018, 03:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I bet you at least managed to help a lot of people who needed a psych more than they needed a heat exchanger!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 29, 2018, 04:50:32 PM
I was an Engineering rating in the USN for twenty years. "Pit snipes" we were called.

The Lt. who ... engineered the victory at Rourke's Drift was just there to build a bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE8vOM0ss

My grandfather was in Corp of Engineers.  The only ROTC I took was from the same part of the Army.  Build bridges and blow them up.

The idiot that lost at Islandwanna ... was an paper pusher.  The commanding general was out chasing Zulus where they weren't.

In that same time period, General Gordon, at Khartoum, defended his post to the last, and only lost because his government abandoned him to his opponent, the false Mahdi of Sudan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItXiO4gl4jM
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 29, 2018, 03:00:51 PM
Sure, after all, it's just engineering.

I have worked in tech for 40 years.  There are no real tech problems.  All the real problems are the human kind (particularly the management kind).  People do technology to solve their problems, but that is pushing the rope.  Monkey business.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 03:16:24 PM
I agree "just engineering" sounds like a dismissal, and I didn't mean it that way.  Most of "the practical world" is "just engineering".  Engineering is the difference between collecting coal in caves vs the cave falling down on you.  Engineering is getting across a stream and later, a river.  Engineering is why I  am sitting in a house instead of a tent.  That gabled roof above me didn't create itself.  It was designed by an engineer.

Engineers built the space rockets that launched the satellites that manage our internet and cell phones.  Engineers  figured out how to build modern dams.  The list goes on.

I used to launch missiles and satellites.  Tell me all about it ;-)  Mostly I can't tell you about it, for obvious reasons.

But without the sciences, the engineers would have no principles to apply.  And it is mostly classical physics/chemistry.  Unless you are near the speed of light or near a black hole, relativity doesn't help much (but it does make GPS accurate).  QM doesn't help much, unless you are as small as an electron.  Try quantum tunneling thru a brick wall sometimes ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

I always tell people that construction is easy. It's 90% math and geometry and 10% people....and the 10% is what makes it so damn hard.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 07:33:10 PM
Try quantum tunneling thru a brick wall sometimes ;-))
I think I saw Criss Angel do that once...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 29, 2018, 07:58:18 PM
I think I saw Criss Angel do that once...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRPTsD0BLE

Quantum tunneling fail, per Elon Musk.  And his autopilot has no real AI, there is no real AI.  Just government subsidized grifters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2018, 07:53:01 PM
I always tell people that construction is easy. It's 90% math and geometry and 10% people....and the 10% is what makes it so damn hard.

I always tell people that telecommunication analysis was easy. It's 90% spreadsheet scanning until your eyeballs fall out, 50% breaking the vendors code  and 10% people....and making that add up to 100% is so damn hard.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!