Political correctness: a force for good? A Munk Debate

Started by Sal1981, May 22, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 08, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
To extend the analogy further, it's unhealthy for the fish in the aquarium to change ALL the water of the tank all at once.

Analogy continued ... they need the little bubble machine to keep the water oxygenated ... that is like a free press.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 08, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
To extend the analogy further, it's unhealthy for the fish in the aquarium to change ALL the water of the tank all at once.

Gradual change in a fishes life is 20% water each month.  Except in small Betta 2 gallon tanks, where they really need the whole tank 100% cleaned monthly.  So that is when I used saved rainwater.  They LOVE that.  I save the rainwater for my Venus Fly Traps, but there is always enough for the Bettas too.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

More from Stephen Fry ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQHakkViPo

So would you rather be called a Snowflake, or the product of an infantilizing culture?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on June 01, 2018, 02:10:14 AM
Yeah, when Trump is making the swamp deeper, "draining it" loses some slight meaning.  And adding more alligators isn't draining the swamp either.

Trump isn't draining the swamp, he's turning it into a cesspool.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 19, 2018, 01:53:05 PM
Trump isn't draining the swamp, he's turning it into a cesspool.

It is turds, not turtles, all the way down.  But you can always go worship Obama at Obamaville Illinois.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't worship anyone or anything. Nothing is worthy of worship.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 19, 2018, 07:32:45 PM
I don't worship anyone or anything. Nothing is worthy of worship.

Where were you when Obama and Hillary were locking up all those immigrant kids in 2015?

"We have to send a clear message, just because your child gets across the border - doesn't mean your child gets to stay" -Hillary Clinton

But it is Trump's baby now, literally.  Comet Pizza anyone?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 19, 2018, 07:35:00 PM
Where were you when Obama and Hillary were locking up all those immigrant kids in 2015?

So, Clinton wanting to re-unite families is equivalent to Trump tearing them apart?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 19, 2018, 07:39:02 PM
So, Clinton wanting to re-unite families is equivalent to Trump tearing them apart?

That isn't what Madam Fuhrer was saying ... ask Qaddafi.  But if you are detached from reality, please enjoy some good fiction ... I do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Trump's problem (or skill, as you prefer) is that he is good at shading differences.  Crimes are misdemeanors or felonies.  If there is a felony he wants to ignore, they are misdemeanors even when they aren't.  When there are misdemeanors he wants to ignore, they are felonies

If one person caught at the border is a gang member, everyone is a gang member.   If one immigrant is a rapist (and I agree should be deported), then all immigrants are rapists.  One equals all to him.

Another thing about Trump is that he can only see winners and losers.  If anyone gets anything in a deal, he would "lose" and he won't accept that, so he has to break the deal.  His world is a zero-sum game.  Either he wins completely or loses.  And he does lose often.  So he makes up stories about how he "won".

He has no experience or concept of loyalty and friendship.  So when people close to him don't show absolute loyalty, they are enemies.  And on the international stage, that includes our historical allies.

Trump has cultivated an person-to-person firing reputation.  But the past shows he can't actually do that.  He has never fired a real person face-to-face.  He can't do it.

He loves dictators!  Well, of course he does; he wants to be one. 

Image is everything to Trump.  He dictated the medical report from his Dr saying he was in great health. 

Given his denial of reality (medical or otherwise), I hope he has a fatal heart attack soon. 

But a heart attack is not the only way out of the Trump world.  Congress could reassert some authority and The Spreme Court court make some rational decisions.

And I'm not EVEN yet getting into the sickness of the separating of Parents seeking legitimate asylum from their children who are being held in chain-link fence pens, terrified and crying for their parents... 

Baruch

The US isn't a good country.  Isn't that apparent by now?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on June 19, 2018, 11:51:17 PM
He loves dictators!  Well, of course he does; he wants to be one.
I think he thinks he already is one.  I suspect the main job of White House staff is talking him down from stupider shit than he already does.

Given his denial of reality (medical or otherwise), I hope he has a fatal heart attack soon. 

But a heart attack is not the only way out of the Trump world.  Congress could reassert some authority and The Spreme Court court make some rational decisions.
Oh, no, not a heart attack.  I don't want Ayatollah Pence in charge.  An impeachment will do nicely, and hopefully Gorsuch will fuck up and he can be removed from the SCotUS where he has no business being.

And I'm not EVEN yet getting into the sickness of the separating of Parents seeking legitimate asylum from their children who are being held in chain-link fence pens, terrified and crying for their parents...
This is the real rage inducer for me, as I work in children services.  This policy is his resignation note from the human species.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on June 21, 2018, 11:00:14 AM
I think he thinks he already is one.  I suspect the main job of White House staff is talking him down from stupider shit than he already does.
Oh, no, not a heart attack.  I don't want Ayatollah Pence in charge.  An impeachment will do nicely, and hopefully Gorsuch will fuck up and he can be removed from the SCotUS where he has no business being.
This is the real rage inducer for me, as I work in children services.  This policy is his resignation note from the human species.

I wish I could agree with your hopes.  But I can't.  Trump won't be impeached.  Pence assures it. 

The White House toadies aren't talking Trump INTO inanities.  He doesn't need them for that, but their croakings assure him he is right.

Fox News is now a creature of Trump.

The political debate is all about nothing.  Trump spouts one thing in the morning and the sycophants repeat it, then he reverses himself in the afternoon and the spokesidiots fall all over themselves reversing their previous explanations.  Trump can't even keep a consistent lie going for a single day lately.

The real problem is that Trump is confusing all the standard rules of democracy by keeping many people confused about truth and falsehood.  Giving conflicting statements every day.  Accustoming people to ignore facts.  Focussing their attention on minor matters...

You know how they say to never mention Nazis or fascists in a debate?  Well, Trump would love to lead a fascist nation, and he is working towards it day by day and lie by lie.   

Baruch

Sorry, if Trump becomes the God Emperor of Dune, you aren't getting any more Spice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on June 25, 2018, 08:29:46 AM
I wish I could agree with your hopes.  But I can't.  Trump won't be impeached.  Pence assures it.
Actually, I think the establishment Republicans would vastly prefer Pence, but they've lost control of their own partyâ€"any deviation from the teabagger/Trumpist line will not be tolerated by their own extremists, and trying to hew to that line risks losing three to five votes in the Senate, where they can't afford to lose even two.

And I really have no hopes or expectations of an impeachment.  It's just a nice little daydream to while away the stray minutes with.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan