Political correctness: a force for good? A Munk Debate

Started by Sal1981, May 22, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2018, 06:57:01 AM
To take over the organization, but also to put pressure on one or both parties to yield on their voting behavior.  And they have been powerful enough so that the response from both parties is to exclude them from major events, but not, God forbid, to yield on their behavior.

Exactly empirically correct.  Money wins elections, and Leftists have no money.  If the Clintons have money, they aren't Leftist.  DNC and RNC are a dual-dictatorship.  But then the US is just a large organized crime syndicate.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 08:48:50 AM
And that is why I consider Trump the best political takeover artist of the last 100 years.  He didn't even have a following of any serious group when he went down the escalator in 2016 and a lot of people of both parties just laughed him off.  As I did. 

I should have worried more when he subdued all the other Republican candidates, but I thought "Sure those idiots might lose to him, but that made it certain that Clinton would win.  But I thought that about Bush vs Gore too.  I should have remembered that "half the population is dumber than average" and so9metimes a lot of them vote.

And I do keep in mind that Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million, which would have caused a landslide electoral vote in most years.  It is just that a few thousand votes in the right States would have changed things completely.

AND I will not ignore that there were voters who just could not see a woman being President.  That day WILL come, just a lot of old guys have to die off first.

The R primary candidates in 2012 and 2016 were total losers.  Rick Perry?  JEB Bush?  Turds smell better.  That had to be deliberate.  Romney and Trump were always the ultimate candidates.  And in 2008, McCaine who was too old, got saddled with that red suited bimbo from Alaska.  This was designed to get Obama elected (CIA candidate ... his mom and mom's dad were CIA).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 08:04:49 PM
That doesn't happen in most other countries.  The US is shit, politically speaking.
Exactly - Spanky was "elected" to drain the swamp, and now what we've got is a cesspool.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 29, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
Exactly - Spanky was "elected" to drain the swamp, and now what we've got is a cesspool.

I didn't expect anything from Trump, and I got exactly what I expected.  And no, the voters may think that a candidate may promise to do something, or they may think on their own that the candidate will do something, but you can fool all the people all the time.  They are fools after all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 29, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
Like I told my brother: you don't clean out a swamp by throwing more shit into it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 29, 2018, 10:22:43 PM
Like I told my brother: you don't clean out a swamp by throwing more shit into it.

Yeah, when Trump is making the swamp deeper, "draining it" loses some slight meaning.  And adding more alligators isn't draining the swamp either.  When everyone Trump hires just rips off the taxpayer money for outrageously expensive furniture and luxury-class travel. etc, it really does amaze me that his base cheers.  Who do they think is paying for that stuff?  China?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Unfortunately for valuable Left values, the Left is giving a particularly sophomoric justification of their positions.  Are there no full adult Leftists left?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It depends on what "political correctness" means to you.  If it means paying attentio to the needs of others, for women and children, yeah, I'm pretty much there.  If it means throwing people in jail for 30 years to life for minor drug use, no.

If it means 5 years for abusing a public office, good to go there.  If it means 5 years for lying to protect your child in court, no. 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 08, 2018, 06:45:14 AM
It depends on what "political correctness" means to you.  If it means paying attentio to the needs of others, for women and children, yeah, I'm pretty much there.  If it means throwing people in jail for 30 years to life for minor drug use, no.
Without a solid agreed upon definition of what PC means, I would suggest that political correctness can be a lot of ideological positions that aren't recognized as "politically correct."  They are just things that a partisan sub group assume are correct.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 08, 2018, 06:52:39 AM
Without a solid agreed upon definition of what PC means, I would suggest that political correctness can be a lot of ideological positions that aren't recognized as "politically correct."  They are just things that a partisan sub group assume are correct.

A+

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 08, 2018, 06:45:14 AM

If it means 5 years for abusing a public office, good to go there.  If it means 5 years for lying to protect your child in court, no.

D party good, R party bad.  Fish have no idea they are swimming in their own piss.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 08, 2018, 07:12:28 AM
D party good, R party bad.  Fish have no idea they are swimming in their own piss.

That is why I change 20% of their water monthly and dip into the aquarium for plant water weekly.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 08, 2018, 08:19:34 AM
That is why I change 20% of their water monthly and dip into the aquarium for plant water weekly.

I imagine then you are actually a very talented sucker-fish ... at least for D politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on June 08, 2018, 12:57:52 PM
I imagine then you are actually a very talented sucker-fish ... at least for D politics.
To extend the analogy further, it's unhealthy for the fish in the aquarium to change ALL the water of the tank all at once.