Laurel Yanny and the possibilities

Started by aitm, May 18, 2018, 07:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I was/am completely disassociated with this whole phenom until I started to think, wtf..we could actually send entire messages to different parts of the population.

Am I understanding this correctly? Based on the frequency that our ears...and brains expect to hear....we could hear completely different messages?

How long before some brainiac blows this shit up?

Am I over reacting?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Unbeliever

I couldn't tell which it was, my mind was blowing too loudly.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

People see what they want to see (the dress) and hear what they want to hear (Laurel).  Surprised?  I am not.  Qualia, bitches.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I saw that and couldn't hear "Laurel" even when I tried.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 02:37:57 AM
I saw that and couldn't hear "Laurel" even when I tried.

that is both the fascinating and terrifying aspect of it. I heard laurel, without a doubt. Now, somehow, sometime, someone will be able to draw a correlation between that and some other commonality that may present itself for exploitation. It may be miniscule...those that hear laurel prefer bud-light and those that hear Yanny prefer mountain dew, or it could be far more sinister. I will be watching and listening for it....right now I want a beer....SONOFABITCH!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 19, 2018, 01:57:05 PM
that is both the fascinating and terrifying aspect of it. I heard laurel, without a doubt. Now, somehow, sometime, someone will be able to draw a correlation between that and some other commonality that may present itself for exploitation. It may be miniscule...those that hear laurel prefer bud-light and those that hear Yanny prefer mountain dew, or it could be far more sinister. I will be watching and listening for it....right now I want a beer....SONOFABITCH!

Neurolinguistic programming project is well underway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on May 19, 2018, 01:57:05 PM

Well, obviously, you just heard it wrong!  BTW, what kind of beer is "SONOFABITCH"  Sounds Germanish, but I prefer IPAs.

Unbeliever

I like a good stout, like Anchor Steam.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 19, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
I like a good stout, like Anchor Steam.

I really loved 'Wild Goose Pale Ale' for hot Summer days after working in the yard.  Serious hops!  But they went out of production about 2012,  When it came back, all that was left was the name.  I need a new hoppy IPA beer.

Hijiri Byakuren

The first time I heard the audio clip, I actually heard both words together, but as it kept repeating "yanny" melted into the background, and all I could hear was "laurel." Now I just hear laurel, with a high-pitched beeping noise where yanny is supposed to be.

Apparently it has to do with how our brains sort out sound frequencies. To deal with the noise of a crowd, your brain will start filtering out certain sound frequencies and only tuning into the ones it thinks it needs to hear. The same thing happens with the yanny/laurel clip. Yanny is played at a higher frequency (hence the beeping I hear), while laurel is played much lower.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

I heard Hardy. He was saying "this is another fine mess you've gotten us into."
God Not Found

Jason Harvestdancer

Is the Laurel white and gold, or is the Yanny blue and black?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!