8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 25, 2018, 01:34:31 PM
Another school shooting today, in Indiana, two in critical condition.

About twenty miles from where I used to live. Fucking middle schools getting attacked. More individual freedoms.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2018, 01:56:21 PM
About twenty miles from where I used to live. Fucking middle schools getting attacked. More individual freedoms.

And the NRA will state tomorrow that "everyone should have guns"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 02:01:56 PM
And the NRA will state tomorrow that "everyone should have guns"...
Um, this is Indiana, so that's already done.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2018, 02:04:30 PM
Um, this is Indiana, so that's already done.

Doesn't matter, the NRA will push "more guns".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 02:05:19 PM
Doesn't matter, the NRA will push "more guns".
Yeah, this is the state where my Y-donor could buy guns without ID and while wearing just his underwear. (ALZ or equivalent.) No waiting period for "regular customers". (Not state policy, just businessmen ignoring the laws.)
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gilgamesh

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 01:21:48 PM
Baruch never does quite admit that distinction.  He likes to diminish evolution in emotional ways like that.  It's a Trump habit too.  The difference is that Trump is just actually stupid while Baruch is willing to make bad arguments, knowing better, but in order to try to win a single post argument not seeing the whole.

"Apes" sounds too offensive to me ... you can stuff your technical correctness.  Like political correctness, only actually correct.  Monkeys are cute, apes are not (did I say that!).

If you don't like bad news, stop watching/reading the news.  You can't change this train wreck in progress anyway.  Do you really want to just die when the plane crashes, or do you have to scream your chicken shit head off, and bother the other passengers ... who are already not having a good time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 01:59:51 AM
You accept "nigger" and you will have to accept all the rest...

I don't "accept" the word..or any of the words you wish to use.

My parents weren't "racist" but they were. I wasn't raised "racist" but I was. My town wasn't "racist" but it was.

Ban racism and you have no idea who is sitting next to you.

Open the gates and you know exactly who is sitting next to you.

Which do you prefer?

Normally I do not allow radios on my construction site, today the elevator installers were on site and in the hole and the radio was blasting some rap and it was "nigger, nigger nigger nigger" and I have to say, I can't argue with people who suggest we can't use the word when the song is being played to be played on the fucking radio. I had the radio shut off and I swear some of the workers asked if I didn't like black music. There is no win in this, and frankly I am tired of the argument as well.

I am against censorship of any kind. I also am not happy that I cannot censor people who need to be censored. There ARE people who should be censored...but then it may be me.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gilgamesh

Racism is the belief that individuals are necessarily lesser on the basis that they have a superficial trait; All individuals who share this trait are lesser.

The idea that using the word, 'nigger' necessitates that you hold the above belief is self-evidently absurd. There is no inherent correlation.

I use it to offend peoples sensibilities. Because if you have sensibilities concerning the language people use, they SHOULD be fucking offended. Why? Because it shows the fragility of your ego. Maybe then you'll examine your ego and put it back together in a way where it doesn't break down over your inability to compel others speech.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 25, 2018, 08:22:00 PM
Racism is the belief that individuals are necessarily lesser on the basis that they have a superficial trait; All individuals who share this trait are lesser.

The idea that using the word, 'nigger' necessitates that you hold the above belief is self-evidently absurd. There is no inherent correlation.

I use it to offend peoples sensibilities. Because if you have sensibilities concerning the language people use, they SHOULD be fucking offended. Why? Because it shows the fragility of your ego. Maybe then you'll examine your ego and put it back together in a way where it doesn't break down over your inability to compel others speech.

Politeness will win more arguments than a brick upside someone's head.  On the other hand, breathing offends the snowflakes ;-(  And yes, in this bully pulpit, I will be a bit aggressive myself.

The only problem with dictatorship, is we can't decide which one of us should be dictator.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Even Dubya thought we'd be better off if this were a dictatorship - as long as he's the dictator.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 26, 2018, 01:48:53 PM
Even Dubya thought we'd be better off if this were a dictatorship - as long as he's the dictator.

Dubya was Cheney's sock puppet, and in terms of taking amoral action, Cheney was a genius.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
"Apes" sounds too offensive to me ... you can stuff your technical correctness.  Like political correctness, only actually correct.  Monkeys are cute, apes are not (did I say that!).

If you don't like bad news, stop watching/reading the news.  You can't change this train wreck in progress anyway.  Do you really want to just die when the plane crashes, or do you have to scream your chicken shit head off, and bother the other passengers ... who are already not having a good time.

Then take it up with Carl Linnaeus.  Don't try and make it my problem.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 27, 2018, 05:29:44 AM
Then take it up with Carl Linnaeus.  Don't try and make it my problem.

Your avatar is cute, a coyote is not.  A value judgement ... so I am "racist".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.