8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason78 on May 23, 2018, 01:07:53 PM
Apparently more kids have died in school in the USA this year than the military.

And ~2,555 kids have been killed by guns in the past 12 months, in all locations.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 23, 2018, 01:38:32 PM
And ~2,555 kids have been killed by guns in the past 12 months, in all locations.

Not enough to achieve an extinction event, however.  And small compared to the people killed in the past 12 months by US supported foreign policy.  Gas up that car or SUV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

According to FBI stats about 300 kids have been killed in school shootings in the last decade. In that same time period, about 57,000 young people have committed suicide.

Your child is 200x more likely to kill themselves than to be killed at school; but your children are being used as a pawn to disarm citizens.

Obama stats said guns were used in self defense 750k-2M times each year.

America has a suicide and crime problem. Neither of those things will be solved by any gun law. Or any law at all really.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on May 22, 2018, 07:29:06 AM
I know you most likely wont be back, and if you are it won't be for long, but I have been aware of men abusing women and blaming them for all their problems for a good 25+ years now, thanks. I just didn't have a catchall phrase for them other than worthless pieces of shit. As you may or may not be aware, incel is a little bit shorter than that.

Well incel is not the catchall phrase for them. Incels are involuntary celibates. Do you honestly believe that the majority of this demographic (incels) are abusing women and killing people? Do you honestly believe that it's even a large minority?

Of course it's fucking not. Most incels are just socially anxious nerds. And now the legacy media has convinced a bunch of normies that picking on the shy nerd is morally correct. It has become okay to punch down.

Gawdzilla Sama

Ah, the "we can't fix everything immediately, so why try fixing anything at all" school of thought. If dead kids could talk they would object.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 06:26:57 AM
Ah, the "we can't fix everything immediately, so why try fixing anything at all" school of thought. If dead kids could talk they would object.

That's not at all synonymous with what I said.

I am telling you that if you want toa solution to pointless death, then gun regulation/banning is not a solution. It won't stop pointless death from happening at the same rate as it already does.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

What laws regarding guns and gun ownership would you like to see passed?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 24, 2018, 06:56:19 AM
What laws regarding guns and gun ownership would you like to see passed?
Single shot guns only, one round per barrel. Max two barrels. I know the truly dedicated will find ways around that, humans are treacherous creatures. It's a start, however.

BTW, I've been an owner and shooter since 1965. I own a fully functional and properly licensed Browning M2 .50 cal. HMG. Just short-circuiting that "argument", somebody always claims I don't know anything about guns. In point of fact I used to kill people for $8.27/day, before deductions.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

QuoteAccording to FBI stats about 300 kids have been killed in school shootings in the last decade. In that same time period, about 57,000 young people have committed suicide.

Your child is 200x more likely to kill themselves than to be killed at school; but your children are being used as a pawn to disarm citizens.

Perfect reason to enact gun control then, since statistics show access to a gun makes one significantly more likely to commit suicide, and to do so successfully.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 24, 2018, 07:22:03 AM
Perfect reason to enact gun control then, since statistics show access to a gun makes one significantly more likely to commit suicide, and to do so successfully.
Or, in some cases, worse, unsuccessfully.

My extended family has lost 4 kids per year to handgun deaths since 2000. (There are a LOT of us, but that's still too many.)
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 07:06:50 AM
Single shot guns only, one round per barrel. Max two barrels. I know the truly dedicated will find ways around that, humans are treacherous creatures. It's a start, however.

BTW, I've been an owner and shooter since 1965. I own a fully functional and properly licensed Browning M2 .50 cal. HMG. Just short-circuiting that "argument", somebody always claims I don't know anything about guns. In point of fact I used to kill people for $8.27/day, before deductions.

Fully automatic weapons are damn-near impossible to own legally in the states. Ya' gotta find one being sold that was registered before 1986 and have several thousand dollars to spend on it at least, AND pass a rigorous background check AND fill out a mountain of paperwork; then you're good to go.

But basically you want it to be illegal to own magazine-fed autoloading firearms?

Gawdzilla Sama

You can find videos on Youtube of people emptying a Glock with an extended mag. (30 rounds) in less than 11 seconds. "Automatic" is moot.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on May 24, 2018, 07:22:03 AM

That's not what statistics show. That's your (wrong) interpretation of the data.

First off, BARELY over half of all suicides in the states are done with a firearm.

Second off, there are around 300 million guns in the states. That's a little less than 1 gun per person (although ya' gotta take into account that 50% of guns are owned by 3% of the population.) The fact is the vast VAST majority of gun owners are not committing suicide, so your interpretation that owning a firearm makes you more likely to kill yourself is false.

Gilgamesh

And third off, you don't pass laws, restricting peoples freedom, on the basis that individuals are hurting themselves with that freedom. Using that reasoning all drugs and all junk food should be illegal. Fuck that. Liberty of the individual above all - THAT is what being a liberal is about. That means people have the freedom to hurt themselves.