8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2018, 12:37:07 AM
The more restriction is talked about, the higher the sales go, guns and ammo.

Europeans simply don't understand the level of fear and hate government inspires in Americans.  And not just Southern Americans.  The Europeans who didn't emigrate were domestic, not feral.  That is why a 100 million Muslims can move to Europe without any objection.

You need to keep letting kids get shot in schools because you're frightened of the government?  Have you any idea how ridiculous this sounds?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2018, 10:32:23 PM

And as to why Americans love guns: guns were a big part of American life from the very beginning - the colonial experience was one in which settlers relied heavily on guns for security.  Guns have become symbolic of manhood, power, and independence.  The Republican core value of self-reliance pairs quite readily with mass gun ownership.  Part of the solution to this problem has to address the allure of guns and disenchant this weapon in the public psyche.
So it's not a marketing strategy that has run amok? 'Cause it sure looks that way to me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 19, 2018, 05:55:45 AM
So it's not a marketing strategy that has run amok? 'Cause it sure looks that way to me.
Those guys in the ad pages of hunting magazines sure look healthy and fit dressed in new buffalo plaid wool shirts and roaming the forest and plains in confidence.  They never show the typical drunken slob shooting out of the window of his pickup at road signs or animals, even though shooting a gun from a vehicle while hunting is against the law in most states.  Just shooting out of a moving vehicle is probably illegal, although I'm not sure.  I haven't done a drive-by for years.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2018, 06:34:40 AM
Those guys in the ad pages of hunting magazines sure look healthy and fit dressed in new buffalo plaid wool shirts and roaming the forest and plains in confidence.  They never show the typical drunken slob shooting out of the window of his pickup at road signs or animals, even though shooting a gun from a vehicle while hunting is against the law in most states.  Just shooting out of a moving vehicle is probably illegal, although I'm not sure.  I haven't done a drive-by for years.
Handguns were understood as single use weapons back in the "Wild" west. (This was a fiction created by the pulp fiction companies of the day.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 19, 2018, 05:45:45 AM
You need to keep letting kids get shot in schools because you're frightened of the government?  Have you any idea how ridiculous this sounds?

I work for the government, so I am not afraid of it.  Other people are.  As far as I am concerned, the public can be enslaved, for the children of course.  There are always FEMA camps to populate if the natives get too restless.  Reservations for non-Native Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 19, 2018, 05:42:02 AM
Seriously!  What is your problem?

Or we can end HS, and send the brats home after 8th grade ... they won't have any jobs when they grow up anyway (see China and India).  Then if the kids want to raise some hell, they can do it at home.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 19, 2018, 05:43:37 AM
This isn't a tragedy every day in other countries.   Just yours.

Thank G-d I am not in Bangladesh (sarcasm).  Yes, your country is so nice ... stay there, please.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2018, 06:34:40 AM

Pretty sure most stupid things one might do with a gun, is illegal in most jurisdictions.  Not that it stops anyone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 19, 2018, 06:36:57 AM
Handguns were understood as single use weapons back in the "Wild" west. (This was a fiction created by the pulp fiction companies of the day.)

Yes, rifles and shotguns were working guns.  Most people didn't use handguns, except for personal protection.  Movies and TV have greatly magnified the handgun mystique ... it is a Western myth and an Urban crime myth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 19, 2018, 06:36:57 AM

And, IIRC from reading, "cowboys" seldom carried them, and if they did, were required to leave them with the town sheriff while they were there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 07:19:08 AM
And, IIRC from reading, "cowboys" seldom carried them, and if they did, were required to leave them with the town sheriff while they were there.

That is why there was the little shootout at the OK Corral.  Handguns are only accurate at close range, though being drunk in a saloon might make it more challenging still.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

>“The government is run by literally hitlerâ,,¢â€
>“Now here’s a list of powers I want the government to grant itself, including the power to barge into your home and take you away to a cell if you are in possession of anything you can defend yourself with :) ”

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 07:19:08 AM
Yeah, nothing to do with them but shoot up saloons.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

So, reports are now saying the kid's mother is saying he was targeting girls who had rejected his advances.

Incels and domestic abusers kill thousands of women a year, and harass and assault countless more, but apparently SJW and Muslims are the real threat to our society*. And obviously we shouldn't try to take guns out of their hands, that would be silly because we need guns to protect ourselves from the government who spends the same amount on their military power as the next ten countries combined!

*our society may refer to white men who can't accept that people's life experiences may be inherently different than theirs and say that addressing this is the eight deadly sin of, "Identium Politicos" as a way to discredit any position that might not jive with their snowflake world view.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur