8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 18, 2018, 02:51:44 PM
Cars are regulated. More than guns.

Cars are also a necessity. Guns are a privilege.

You know what happens when you abuse a privilege? It gets taken away.

So all D and R should lose voting rights?  I would support that.

Cars aren't necessary.  Global warming.  Ban all private ownership of cars ... better yet, Comrade, ban all private ownership.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 18, 2018, 01:19:20 PM
Yeah, here we go again. What's it going to take to stop this shit? It may be impossible to stop, now that the genie's out, but damn, I don't want to get used to this kind of outrage! Has America no shame!?

Stop monkey shit?  Kill the monkeys.  Let the hyenas clean up the mess.  Morality, what morality?  There is no such thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 18, 2018, 01:25:30 PM
This is an actual real problem in your country and facetious remarks like yours aren't helping.   They are just mean.

Mean?  Wait until Trump nukes you all!  Eat plutonium foreigners!

Yes America has problems.  Just kill it.  And the other 200+ shit holes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2018, 04:58:13 PM
So...a drivers license and having to pass a driving test in order to get said license?  And tracking car sales?

You have to have a license in most places for concealed carry, let alone open carry.  It is regulated.  But nobody in the US believes in the rule of law.  We are anarchists, with nukes ... and drugs.  The R anarchists prefer one crazy thing, the D anarchists prefer another.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I'm normally not a fan of the Onion because I feel it is putting out a lot of negativity at a time when we don't need it, but it's reached a point where I feel if anything they aren't being harsh enough on gun violence enablers.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1826142891?utm_source=Facebook&utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

QuoteSANTA FE, TXâ€"In the hours following a violent rampage in Texas in which a lone attacker killed eight individuals and seriously injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Friday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Ohio resident Erica Webb, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

On. Fucking. Point.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Being seated in a transport chair meant that I couldn't leave when a Fox talking head was asked how we could prevent children from getting guns.

"That's a good question. But what we should be addressing is why we're 'mainstreaming' mentally ill and mentally damaged children into schools with normal students."

He couldn't answer the question, but he got a chance to ride his hobby horse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Am I sorry a tragedy has occurred?  Yes, it is a tragedy that happened.  They happen every day, though not always in this particular form.

Am I sorry for the children of Rahm Emanuel, the mayor of Chicago, who said ... "Never let a crisis go to waste" ... no, I am not.

They say "Never let a tragedy to to waste" ... not if it can be spun from straw into political gold to benefit their D or R party.  Both parties are monsters, to always benefit politically, from human tragedy, whether in the US or in Syria.

Mourn?  Sure.  Care?  What are you doing to assist the grieving families?  Writing your congressman?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 18, 2018, 06:11:40 PM
One thing I've often asked, when this comes up, is given the state of things, why are so many people in america convinced their society will fall apart if guns are taken away?
The irony is that the "gun-grabbers" mostly just support increased regulations on guns.  Maybe someday we'll bring up to the oppressively-regulated car level, heh.

Like gay marriage, conservatives envision a gunless dystopia that doesn't actually exist - and we know it doesn't exist because other countries have far more restrictive gun laws than we do and we've seen the results.  But for these people, it doesn't matter that their gut feeling is dead wrong, all that matters is that we shouldn't change our gun laws and if they have to invent a fictitious scenario to justify that position, then so be it.  When one's not above telling someone that their dead kid is a paid actor and all these funerals are fake, there's no longer much of anything keeping oneself moored to reality.

And as to why Americans love guns: guns were a big part of American life from the very beginning - the colonial experience was one in which settlers relied heavily on guns for security.  Guns have become symbolic of manhood, power, and independence.  The Republican core value of self-reliance pairs quite readily with mass gun ownership.  Part of the solution to this problem has to address the allure of guns and disenchant this weapon in the public psyche.

Mike Cl

Change??  Of course not.  As long as gun and ammo sales go up after each such incident, Corporate United States will not allow anything to be done?  Why change?  There are profits to be made!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 18, 2018, 11:49:46 PM
Change??  Of course not.  As long as gun and ammo sales go up after each such incident, Corporate United States will not allow anything to be done?  Why change?  There are profits to be made!!

The more restriction is talked about, the higher the sales go, guns and ammo.

Europeans simply don't understand the level of fear and hate government inspires in Americans.  And not just Southern Americans.  The Europeans who didn't emigrate were domestic, not feral.  That is why a 100 million Muslims can move to Europe without any objection.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 18, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
We need to ban cars. Cars kill way more than guns. America needs to regulate cars or get rid of them completely. Personally I think anything bigger than a 4-cylinder should be banned because then they go to fast. Also owning anything bigger than a honda civic should be really hard to do since the bigger the vehicle the more damage it will do. Please america think of the children.

I acknowledge the sarcasm.  Well done.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

I'm going to say something utterly unacceptable:

Oh crap, there is not going to be anything meaningful to watch on the political talk shows today or tomorrow or the 3rd day because of this hideous LOCAL tragedy.

It's a LOCAL tragedy.  I want to know more about what is happening with N Korea, Iran, and China.  That affects me...

Until the US population decides to actually DO something about guns, it's local.  So DO SOMETHING or stop bothering me about these local events.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/997506332939956229

After talking about the terror surrounding her, and asked if there was a part of her that thought this wasn't real, that it wouldn't happen at her school...

"No... there wasn't... it's been happening everywhere, I always kinda felt like eventually it was going to happen here too."

This is a high school student talking about the terror of watching people getting shot around her and that it didn't particularly surprise her because that is just the way our country is.

I'm still waiting on someone to provide me an example of a single other first world country where this is the norm. I have asked it multiple times in multiple threads and multiple platforms, and for some reason the people who argue against gun regulation seem completely incapable of answering it.

Edit: Or a single other country where people call girls like her "crisis actors" and sent them threats and get on national t.v. calling them liars.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2018, 06:23:35 PM
Ban teen agers ;-)  Or just send them to the British Navy so they can be made into men, or hang from the highest yardarm.  Better yet, send the girls, the boys here will never grow up anyway.

Seriously!  What is your problem?   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2018, 08:51:56 PM
Am I sorry a tragedy has occurred?  Yes, it is a tragedy that happened.  They happen every day, though not always in this particular form.

Am I sorry for the children of Rahm Emanuel, the mayor of Chicago, who said ... "Never let a crisis go to waste" ... no, I am not.

They say "Never let a tragedy to to waste" ... not if it can be spun from straw into political gold to benefit their D or R party.  Both parties are monsters, to always benefit politically, from human tragedy, whether in the US or in Syria.

Mourn?  Sure.  Care?  What are you doing to assist the grieving families?  Writing your congressman?

This isn't a tragedy every day in other countries.   Just yours.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato