8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44173954
QuoteUp to eight people have been reported dead in a shooting at a Texas high school, which is on lockdown.

One person is in custody after the attack at Santa Fe High School, which is about 40 miles (65km) south of Houston, according to school officials.

The school district has confirmed people were injured in an "active shooter" incident as classes began.

It is unclear if the attacker was a student. Police have not yet confirmed any fatalities.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the responsible gun owners who will have to suffer hearing about their guns being taken away or more heavily regulated. They are the real victim of this situation. We all know this.

...I guess the students are too, but we will forget about them in a week so do they really matter?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Too bad ... the cops have intercepted a few of these copy-cats recently, but missed this one.  I say, put all the HS students in the British Navy.  See the world, on the King's shilling.

Also proof that current teen mental health care is a total failure.  Kids need more psych drugs starting before kindergarten.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, here we go again. What's it going to take to stop this shit? It may be impossible to stop, now that the genie's out, but damn, I don't want to get used to this kind of outrage! Has America no shame!?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2018, 12:55:04 PM
Too bad ... the cops have intercepted a few of these copy-cats recently, but missed this one.  I say, put all the HS students in the British Navy.  See the world, on the King's shilling.

Also proof that current teen mental health care is a total failure.  Kids need more psych drugs starting before kindergarten.

This is an actual real problem in your country and facetious remarks like yours aren't helping.   They are just mean.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gilgamesh

We need to ban cars. Cars kill way more than guns. America needs to regulate cars or get rid of them completely. Personally I think anything bigger than a 4-cylinder should be banned because then they go to fast. Also owning anything bigger than a honda civic should be really hard to do since the bigger the vehicle the more damage it will do. Please america think of the children.

Shiranu

Cars are regulated. More than guns.

Cars are also a necessity. Guns are a privilege.

You know what happens when you abuse a privilege? It gets taken away.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Some stats on this stupid fucking car analogy...

-Car deaths are 11.x per 100,000 people.
-for every 1000 people, there are 910 cars.
-9 out of 10 households have access to a car.

-Gun deaths are 11.x for every 100,000 people.
-For guns, there are 101 guns for every 100 people.
-50% of all guns are owned by 3% of the population.
-less than 1 in three houses have access to a gun.

So statistically, there are far less people with guns than there are people with cars, yet at the same time the gun related deaths are just as frequent. And let's not forget just how many cars are in use every single day.

Yet somehow, despite experts saying guns are the problem, raw data saying they are problem, other countries addressing it as a problem and seeing results, common sense saying it's a problem, and the fact that at worst it only cuts down on domestic crime rather than mass shootings... There are people like yourself who will still kick and scream if guns are even suggested to be a factor.

It's mind boggling. I just don't understand the obsession with taking the most toxic and regressive position and being so hateful about it. Life is too short for that shit.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on May 18, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
Some stats on this stupid fucking car analogy...

-Car deaths are 11.x per 100,000 people.
-for every 1000 people, there are 910 cars.
-9 out of 10 households have access to a car.

-Gun deaths are 11.x for every 100,000 people.
-For guns, there are 101 guns for every 100 people.
-50% of all guns are owned by 3% of the population.
-less than 1 in three houses have access to a gun.

So statistically, there are far less people with guns than there are people with cars, yet at the same time the gun related deaths are just as frequent. And let's not forget just how many cars are in use every single day.

Yet somehow, despite experts saying guns are the problem, raw data saying they are problem, other countries addressing it as a problem and seeing results, common sense saying it's a problem, and the fact that at worst it only cuts down on domestic crime rather than mass shootings... There are people like yourself who will still kick and scream if guns are even suggested to be a factor.

It's mind boggling. I just don't understand the obsession with taking the most toxic and regressive position and being so hateful about it. Life is too short for that shit.

I need sources

Draconic Aiur

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 18, 2018, 04:11:22 PM
I need sources

Gun deaths -
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

Car deaths -
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year?wprov=sfla1

Gun ownership -
https://www.npr.org/2016/01/05/462017461/guns-in-america-by-the-numbers

Car ownership... honestly, just google it. I'm doing all this from my phone, and it's a pain in the ass doing something that won't make any difference since you aren't actually interested in the facts but rather just being toxic.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 18, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
We need to ban cars. Cars kill way more than guns. America needs to regulate cars or get rid of them completely.
So...a drivers license and having to pass a driving test in order to get said license?  And tracking car sales?

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2018, 04:59:14 PM

The worst part is I think that tweet is a school shooting or two old, and still has to be posted.

Munch

One thing I've often asked, when this comes up, is given the state of things, why are so many people in america convinced their society will fall apart if guns are taken away?
Best example really is from here in the uk, when the it was put into law that owning a gun was illegal, back in 1996, after a man killed a classroom of children and their teacher with a gun.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/firearms-act-twenty-years-on-has-it-made-a-difference-dunblane-port-arthur-a8110911.html

The law came into effect, and surprise, our society hasn't suffered for it.

Death still happens, murders still happen, violence still happens, but guns aren't the main factor in these places anymore. The ease of killing someone or themselves with a gun, but just because theres a chance you might get an lunatic who gets ahold of a gun in the uk and goes on a killing spree, it wouldn't put a dent on the death toll in somewhere like america.

There must be this primitive, primal need to keep guns, in the primate part of peoples brains, that if they don't have them, they can't defend themselves from others who have them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 18, 2018, 02:09:33 PM
We need to ban cars. Cars kill way more than guns. America needs to regulate cars or get rid of them completely. Personally I think anything bigger than a 4-cylinder should be banned because then they go to fast. Also owning anything bigger than a honda civic should be really hard to do since the bigger the vehicle the more damage it will do. Please america think of the children.

Ban teen agers ;-)  Or just send them to the British Navy so they can be made into men, or hang from the highest yardarm.  Better yet, send the girls, the boys here will never grow up anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.