8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

The almighty breakfast item has spoken. Thou shalt not question their judgement.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 03:12:22 AM
Of course modding a forum is difficult.  But I think complaining about "niggers" is a cause for automatic banishment.  CEOs of major companies have lost their jobs for less utterly racist and insulting statements.  And this one was utterly racist and insulting.
Cavebear. No other mod is on right now. I do not want to make a decision like full perma-banning a member that has been a part of this website for so long on a dime like that, without consulting the other moderators. I did want to take care of it, at least partly immediately.

I do not need to explain this to you, but since you are going to keep complain about it, I feel mildly obliged to. Now let me do my job.

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 22, 2018, 03:20:07 AM
Cavebear. No other mod is on right now. I do not want to make a decision like full perma-banning a member that has been a part of this website for so long on a dime like that, without consulting the other moderators. I did want to take care of it, at least partly immediately.

I do not need to explain this to you, but since you are going to keep complain about it, I feel mildly obliged to. Now let me do my job.

Discuss it with the other mods when you can.  I think they will agree that Gilgamesh has crossed the line and is a problem.  I'm not challenging you in any way.  I just thought complaining about "niggers' was (and should be) an automatic account-killer...

Cavebear
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 22, 2018, 01:29:37 AM
After australia's gun-grab, the murder-rate remains the same.

My home country of canada has a really high rate of gun ownership. No gun violence epidemic.

The problem is cultural. Allowing the state more power - especially the power to label you a criminal for owning tools for defense, is not the answer. Especially not when that same state is importing violent cavemen left and right.

Canada is different, eh?  Australia and NZ also.  Americans mostly don't realize y'all aren't part of the States.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

QuoteA month ago you didn't even know what an incel was but now that the MSM creates fake outrage around the term you throw the term around like you're politically aware lollll.

I know you most likely wont be back, and if you are it won't be for long, but I have been aware of men abusing women and blaming them for all their problems for a good 25+ years now, thanks. I just didn't have a catchall phrase for them other than worthless pieces of shit. As you may or may not be aware, incel is a little bit shorter than that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on May 22, 2018, 07:29:06 AM
I know you most likely wont be back, and if you are it won't be for long, but I have been aware of men abusing women and blaming them for all their problems for a good 25+ years now, thanks. I just didn't have a catchall phrase for them other than worthless pieces of shit. As you may or may not be aware, incel is a little bit shorter than that.

Just so you know, I have been aware that men have abused women throughout history.  Most men (I hope) are not stupid are blind to that today.  We are not our great-grandfathers.  I'm not saying that because it seems clever or proper.  Wrong is wrong.  Abusers are wrong, though and need therapy. 

History has been a study of those who succeed against odds, but it has also been a study of those who were powerless and sufferred... 

My ancestors were downtrodden by ancient thugs who lorded it over all of us, but over the women more than the men. It was wrong on both, but more for women.

I think it is good that women are speaking up about it today.  I knew of some things, but I never realized how bad it was.  Sometimes it just requires information that was hidden in the past.  When the light of knowledge shines on past wrongs, the wrongs are exposed. 

Civilization advances too slowly.  But it does advance...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 03:31:15 AM
Discuss it with the other mods when you can.  I think they will agree that Gilgamesh has crossed the line and is a problem.  I'm not challenging you in any way.  I just thought complaining about "niggers' was (and should be) an automatic account-killer...

We don't actually have a rule against racism, but we can use our opinion that certain language is being used to incite, which we consider trolling. As much as I have worked over my life to overcome my own racism I hate to see it in any fashion, yet personally I don't want to fall into censorship on an internet forum even if it is offensive. Perhaps we will discuss this more. Should we decide to add that to the rules specifically, I have no problem enforcing it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

[gmod]@ everyone Please see the rules: At the bottom -- "Note: The admins/mod team may have to make judgment calls from time to time as a result of ambiguity in the rules, definitions, or context of the alleged offense." Forum Rules link: http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=5589.0 [/gmod]

PickelledEggs

Also, check out that killer moderator comment thing I added. Isn't it awesome? Just want to gloat a bit about my amazing administrator skills, adding codes and shit. Look at me. I'm a genius

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 22, 2018, 07:41:04 PM
Also, check out that killer moderator comment thing I added. Isn't it awesome? Just want to gloat a bit about my amazing administrator skills, adding codes and shit. Look at me. I'm a genius

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 22, 2018, 01:19:13 PM
We don't actually have a rule against racism, but we can use our opinion that certain language is being used to incite, which we consider trolling. As much as I have worked over my life to overcome my own racism I hate to see it in any fashion, yet personally I don't want to fall into censorship on an internet forum even if it is offensive. Perhaps we will discuss this more. Should we decide to add that to the rules specifically, I have no problem enforcing it.

Have the offender take down the offending post.  Non-cooperation with the moderators is a banning offense however ;-)  Directly banning someone permanently does happen here, but I don't like it, it is just spite and prejudice.  No virtue signaling there.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 22, 2018, 07:41:04 PM

Brilliant! Surely you did, in fact, come before the chicken.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Jason78

Apparently more kids have died in school in the USA this year than the military.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on May 23, 2018, 01:07:53 PM
Apparently more kids have died in school in the USA this year than the military.

We can alway equalize with a all volunteer circular firing squad ;-(

Many of the deaths are no longer reported in the military.  Classified I hear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.