God vow dropped from Girlguiding UK promise

Started by Jason78, June 19, 2013, 05:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Well done to the Girl Guides!  I'm not sure about that Queen bit.  But they can fix that later.  Baby steps.

QuoteGirls will no longer have to pledge their devotion to God when they join the Guides and Brownies in the UK.

It comes after a consultation found a new Girlguiding UK promise was needed to include "more explicitly" the non-religious and those of other faiths.

They currently vow to "to love my God, to serve my Queen and my country".

The new oath drops the reference for the first time since Guides began in 1910 and will see them promise to "be true to myself and develop my beliefs".
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

That would be a big leap for the Boy Scouts of America (...to do my duty to God and my country).

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteGirls will no longer have to pledge their devotion to God when they join the Guides and Brownies in the UK.

It comes after a consultation found a new Girlguiding UK promise was needed to include "more explicitly" the non-religious and those of other faiths.

They currently vow to "to love my God, to serve my Queen and my country".

The new oath drops the reference for the first time since Guides began in 1910 and will see them promise to "be true to myself and develop my beliefs".

Amen to that!  .... or something....  :)