Author Topic: Voting VS Spending  (Read 764 times)

Re: Voting VS Spending
« Reply #120 on: Today at 01:32:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My hypothesis is that voting elevates trash while spending elevates treasure. 

But that's objectively not true.  People happily spend their money on trash all the time.

Let's say that this forum used voting and donating to rank beers.  Which ranking would you prefer? 

Neither system would find the best beer.   Have you ever been to a beer festival?  The only real way you could rank those beers is by testing each of them.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #121 on: Today at 01:33:00 PM »
But it should be him too, and it's frustrating when the wall of faith goes up and the fingers go in the ears and the eyes close and all the response you get may as well be a loop of tape.  I mean, he's saying to you exactly the same thing he said to me, as if changing prominent atheists or cars to beer without actually changing the argument makes the argument valid.  I know you have more patience than I do—but I will say good luck anyway.

And I'll admit, I don't have a lot of time or respect for libertarianism, which is a fine philosophy to have if you're a college professor/student or think-tank member or some other person who doesn't have to interact much with the real world if they don't want to.

I have learned that facts do not change the minds of those who will not change their minds.  And amazingly, some studies show that facts actively push some people into denying them.  You and I don't think like that, but some people do. 

I read an article (in Scientific American I think) that described some experiments that proved this odd mental ill-health.  Basicaiclly, the experiments suggested 2 approaches.

One was to ask indirect questions about outcomes (like "what would reduce planetary temperature increases?") No mention of "Global warming" that triggers some people.  The other suggestion was along the lines of "What would it take to change your mind on Topic X.  In other words, let the other person describe what really bothers the,. 

On climate change, that might be "Only God can change the climate"  or "We need the fuel" or "Its a natural event of the sun warming". 

THEN you have some idea how to discuss the matter further. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #122 on: Today at 01:43:39 PM »
You are obsessed with that analogy.  Was it used on Fox TV?

But even if all your thoughts are your own, your thinking condemns you to an elitism of the worst kind.  Your "more dollars" mean you are somehow more important than I am. 

BTW, how rich are you?  How many $1 votes do you command?  Fess up...

I'm talking about a potential experiment to test our beliefs.  Are you interested in discussing this experiment? 

And no, I'm not rich.  If I was rich then why wouldn't I simply pay some college professor to conduct this experiment? 

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #123 on: Today at 01:49:09 PM »
I'm talking about a potential experiment to test our beliefs.  Are you interested in discussing this experiment? 

And no, I'm not rich.  If I was rich then why wouldn't I simply pay some college professor to conduct this experiment?

You expressed political views suggesting money was votes.

But OK. hit me with your beer experiment and lets see how I react.  And trust me, I will be honest even if I see through it.  If someone wants an experimebt, I a fair subject.

« Reply #124 on: Today at 01:52:22 PM »
But that's objectively not true.  People happily spend their money on trash all the time.

I'm not arguing that spending always elevates treasure.  Spending is just far more likely to elevate treasure than voting is. 

Neither system would find the best beer.   Have you ever been to a beer festival?  The only real way you could rank those beers is by testing each of them.

The beers would be ranked differently by voting and donating.  Do you agree?  If so, then isn't it likely that you would prefer one ranking more than the other? 

I have not been to a beer festival or a dog show.  But I have been to many plant shows.  I'm far more informed about plants than I am about beer and dogs.  Therefore, I'd be willing to spend more money ranking plants than beers and dogs. 

Are you more informed about beers or plants?  Would you be willing to spend more money to rank beers or plants? 

« Reply #125 on: Today at 01:56:42 PM »
You expressed political views suggesting money was votes.

But OK. hit me with your beer experiment and lets see how I react.  And trust me, I will be honest even if I see through it.  If someone wants an experimebt, I a fair subject.

Members of this forum would use voting and donating to rank beers.  We'd all compare the two rankings and decide for ourselves which one is better.  Which ranking do you think you'll prefer? 

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #126 on: Today at 02:06:26 PM »
I'm not arguing that spending always elevates treasure.  Spending is just far more likely to elevate treasure than voting is. 

The beers would be ranked differently by voting and donating.  Do you agree?  If so, then isn't it likely that you would prefer one ranking more than the other? 

I have not been to a beer festival or a dog show.  But I have been to many plant shows.  I'm far more informed about plants than I am about beer and dogs.  Therefore, I'd be willing to spend more money ranking plants than beers and dogs. 

Are you more informed about beers or plants?  Would you be willing to spend more money to rank beers or plants?

Actually I like both.  Chose or use both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk