From the Democratic National Committee

Started by SGOS, May 13, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2018, 08:16:11 PM
I know everybody wants to know.  He came up with the Chicago White Sox as an outfielder and lasted 7 years; but did not play all that well, hitting only .239 for his career.

What kid wouldn't accept 7 years in the majors, even at .239?  To play in The Bigs...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 04:20:00 AM
What kid wouldn't accept 7 years in the majors, even at .239?  To play in The Bigs...
The odds of being called up for The Show (major league baseball) for even one day is very very long.  Even if the player does not get a hit or get a batter out, they are in the top 1% of baseball players world wide.  Hell, I'd even take a job as a bat boy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 22, 2018, 09:01:49 AM
The odds of being called up for The Show (major league baseball) for even one day is very very long.  Even if the player does not get a hit or get a batter out, they are in the top 1% of baseball players world wide.  Hell, I'd even take a job as a bat boy.

Well, I think sitting in a bad chair for 3 hours watching a baseball game is pretty abysmal (I like my chair at home and the refrigerator handy), but being a batboy or the foul-ball-grabbers would be pretty interesting!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2018, 09:14:34 AM
Well, I think sitting in a bad chair for 3 hours watching a baseball game is pretty abysmal (I like my chair at home and the refrigerator handy), but being a batboy or the foul-ball-grabbers would be pretty interesting!
Bad seats at the park can make things a bit boring, I agree.  Plus, those are usually in the sun and after 3 hrs one is baked and basted.  Then the 3/4 hr traffic jam....................Good seats will cost ya tho--average for a family of 4 with eats is more than $400; too rich for my blood.  TV and handy refrig is my way to go. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 22, 2018, 10:52:52 AM
Bad seats at the park can make things a bit boring, I agree.  Plus, those are usually in the sun and after 3 hrs one is baked and basted.  Then the 3/4 hr traffic jam....................Good seats will cost ya tho--average for a family of 4 with eats is more than $400; too rich for my blood.  TV and handy refrig is my way to go.

That's why I watch on MASN TV and make dinner during most games.

trdsf

I need to get downtown some time this summer when the Mud Hens are in town.  I think it's been thirty years since I've seen them play, and while I will cheerily back our Clippers any other time, I was born and raised a Toledo boy.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 22, 2018, 12:38:16 PM
I need to get downtown some time this summer when the Mud Hens are in town.  I think it's been thirty years since I've seen them play, and while I will cheerily back our Clippers any other time, I was born and raised a Toledo boy.

There is a minor league baseball park nearby.  I should go watch them sometime.  I hear prices are actually reasonable.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 12:49:00 AM
There is a minor league baseball park nearby.  I should go watch them sometime.  I hear prices are actually reasonable.
And the modern parks are really nice.  Toledo's is especially highly regarded, and Columbus' is very much on the same model.  Box seats here are $16 day of game, $14 in advance, that's *super* reasonable, I think.  Hell, right behind home plate is only $20.

And my Hens are 30-15 on the season and leading their division by a long way, woot!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 25, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
And the modern parks are really nice.  Toledo's is especially highly regarded, and Columbus' is very much on the same model.  Box seats here are $16 day of game, $14 in advance, that's *super* reasonable, I think.  Hell, right behind home plate is only $20.

And my Hens are 30-15 on the season and leading their division by a long way, woot!

The Maryland Blue Crabs have the local park.  $20 for a homeplate seat wouldn'y kill me '  Da good lord done made me rich!  Well, OK, Vanguard Funds can afford me that.