From the Democratic National Committee

Started by SGOS, May 13, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on May 16, 2018, 03:25:44 PM
Presidential trivia was a thing of mine when I was younger.  :)

We have had nine monosyllabic Presidential surnames (Polk, Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Taft, Ford, Bush, Bush and You-Know-Who)... for the most part they have run the gamut from the ineffectual to the disastrous, ranking on average 29th out of 44 (counting Cleveland as two terms but one President).

As it turns out, there's an inverse relationship between name length and average ranking -- monosyllabics average 28.89/44, bisyllabics (22 total) average 23.54/44, trisyllabics (12 total) average 17/44, and the lone tetrasyllabic President has an aggregate ranking of 8/44.

Which is more amusing than meaningful, probably.  Just fun with statistics, I can't think of any plausible connection.
There's a causation there, I know it.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on May 16, 2018, 01:39:21 PM
Castro and Hickenlooper will have immediate name recognition.  You may not know who they are or what they look like, or what they even stand for, but people will remember their names, probably not to their advantage, however.
I was hoping Castro would be Hillary's VP choice, actually.  That might've turned the tale in Florida and Arizona where there are significant Hispanic/Latino communities, and those two states alone, all other things being equal, would have changed the electoral college outcome.

I like both their resumes -- they both have executive experience in government: Hickenlooper as mayor of Denver and governor of Colorado, Castro as mayor of San Antonio and Secretary of HUD, and we're going to need that kind of experience to straighten things out after the mess we're in right now.  I don't mind that neither one is a foreign policy guy; we're going to have a hell of a mess at home to clean up, that can be delegated to a suitable Secretary of State.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Since I have connections to both Texas and Colorado, I would be pleased ;-)  My Texas connections include Hispanic connections too.  Unfortunately "Castro" sounds like that other guy in Cuba.  And Hickenlooper is Germanic, same as Eisenhower.  I would go with Hickenlooper as P candidate and Castro as VP candidate.  Don't worry about foreign policy ... none of our Presidents since Nixon had any experience there, and Nixon relied on Kissinger.  Generally I prefer people who have been governors as the lead candidate (Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Bush Jr) though that is a pretty mixed bunch.  Neither JFK, Carter, Bush Sr nor Bush Jr had particularly noteworthy military careers .. unlike Eisenhower, but he would be unique in the post WW II world.  The military careers of LBJ, Nixon, Reagan were as office boys.  Clinton and Obama had no experience at all.  Both Clinton and Obama had Valkyries at State.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 16, 2018, 04:11:13 PM
I was hoping Castro would be Hillary's VP choice, actually.  That might've turned the tale in Florida and Arizona where there are significant Hispanic/Latino communities, and those two states alone, all other things being equal, would have changed the electoral college outcome.

I like both their resumes -- they both have executive experience in government: Hickenlooper as mayor of Denver and governor of Colorado, Castro as mayor of San Antonio and Secretary of HUD, and we're going to need that kind of experience to straighten things out after the mess we're in right now.  I don't mind that neither one is a foreign policy guy; we're going to have a hell of a mess at home to clean up, that can be delegated to a suitable Secretary of State.

Not to say names are always election-killers, but "Castro" and "Hickenlooper" (close to "Schicklgruber" aka Hitler) are going to be a problem...  Not a good or fair reason, but just saying.  A lot of people will go nuts over either.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

And that is why I would prohibit monkeys from voting at all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 17, 2018, 02:21:22 AM
Not to say names are always election-killers, but "Castro" and "Hickenlooper" (close to "Schicklgruber" aka Hitler) are going to be a problem...  Not a good or fair reason, but just saying.  A lot of people will go nuts over either.
I don't think that many people will.

Although I find a delicious sort of irony in the idea of us electing a President Castro only a couple years after Cuba stopped having one.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 17, 2018, 10:43:52 AM

Although I find a delicious sort of irony in the idea of us electing a President Castro only a couple years after Cuba stopped having one.  :D

Lee Harvey Oswald would agree.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 17, 2018, 10:43:52 AM

I think you are ignoring bad political names.  Consider these"

Dick Swett
Robin Rape
Dick Armey
Hazzard
Dick Mountjoy
Krystal Ball
Jeff Flake
Harry Baals
Kerry Faggotter
Bill Boner
Dave Obey
Wayne Gay
Salmon P. Chase
"Butch" Otter
Tiny Kox
Mike Crapo
Smoke Johnson
Barb Queer
Young Boozer
Mike Hunt

Mike Cl

Well, Cavebear, how about these?
Jack Glasscock
Rusty Kuntz
Johnny Dickshot
Dick Bates
Dick Pole
Ed Head
Cannonball Titcomb
Pete LaCock
Butts Wagner

Baseball players one and all.  Sure I could come up with more.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2018, 02:41:00 PM
Well, Cavebear, how about these?
Jack Glasscock
Rusty Kuntz
Johnny Dickshot
Dick Bates
Dick Pole
Ed Head
Cannonball Titcomb
Pete LaCock
Butts Wagner

Baseball players one and all.  Sure I could come up with more.

Yeah, but they don't stand for election by public approval.    I mean, without knowing anything about them, would you rather vote for Studs Manly or Limp Dick?  LOL!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 02:50:44 PM
Yeah, but they don't stand for election by public approval.    I mean, without knowing anything about them, would you rather vote for Studs Manly or Limp Dick?  LOL!
I'd rather vote for Rusty Kuntz.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

How about Hugh Jorgan? He'd be a great candidate.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2018, 04:54:35 PM

I consider the matter settled, LOL!

Not that it will be when Baruch sees it...

If a post exists, he will reply.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2018, 04:54:35 PM
I know everybody wants to know.  He came up with the Chicago White Sox as an outfielder and lasted 7 years; but did not play all that well, hitting only .239 for his career.