From the Democratic National Committee

Started by SGOS, May 13, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 15, 2018, 01:10:03 PM
I don't worry about het chances. I worry what would happen Should she get there.

Just another puppet of the Deep State.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 15, 2018, 01:10:03 PM
I don't worry about het chances. I worry what would happen Should she get there.

Oprah may not be the ideal President, but can you deny that she would be a definite improvement over our current President? Granted, nearly anyone would be an improvement, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't sigh in relief if she won the next election.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Hell, even Crusty the Clown would be an improvement over the current clown.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 15, 2018, 02:09:25 PM
Oprah may not be the ideal President, but can you deny that she would be a definite improvement over our current President? Granted, nearly anyone would be an improvement, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't sigh in relief if she won the next election.

It's not about her being better or worse. It's about if she is a good candidate, or not.
If you Want to 'win' at all costs, I suppose you could go dwon that route... but i think you'd be losing a lot more if you or The entire 'sensible' party endorses her seriously.
When The opponent wins by presenting an incompetent but popular media figure. The answer isn't to lower yourself to their level. It is to show that true politics and capable government can still be.
Unless she proves herself; if you win with Oprah, you lose everything but The election.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

I don't expect an ideal president -- the ideal president doesn't exist.  No one is going to be everything I want them to be unless it's me myself, and that's not going to happen.  So all I expect is a certain amount of intelligence and relevant experience, and broad congruence between their political outlook and philosophy, and mine.  There are very few dealbreakers; recognizing women's reproductive autonomy and LGBTQ equal rights are about it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 15, 2018, 02:15:02 PM
Hell, even Crusty the Clown would be an improvement over the current clown.

Bart Simpson is old enough to run ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

That is why y'all let the DNC kick Bernie to the curb, and gave all your kopecks to the the Clinton Foundation.  Anything but X ... is why I voted for Obama the second time.  And why I didn't vote for Trump either ... but the most recent election I was willing to vote 3rd party, since I want the other two parties to die a horrible (on paper) death.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 15, 2018, 07:34:18 PM
That is why y'all let the DNC kick Bernie to the curb, and gave all your kopecks to the the Clinton Foundation.  Anything but X ... is why I voted for Obama the second time.  And why I didn't vote for Trump either ... but the most recent election I was willing to vote 3rd party, since I want the other two parties to die a horrible (on paper) death.
The DNC and the RNC don't even allow 3rd parties in the national debate since Ross Perot and Ralph Nader ran as spoilers and upset the outcomes.  It's odd that the two parties agreed to this.  Usually when something works to one party's advantage, the other condemns it, and when the shoe is on the other foot, the party's reactions reverse.  But both the RNC and DNC agree that 3rd parties must be neutralized.  Odd, because they never agree on anything else. 

It's easier to neutralize outsiders than it is to accommodate them.  The voices of unwanted voters are muffled as they are forced to choose one of two odious parties, instead of expressing themselves freely.  This is not accommodation.  It's coercion. Outsiders go from not being able to win an election outright to being denied even a voice of disapproval.  Their vote gets recorded as a preference, rather than an objection.  Or they can be disheartened completely and stop voting altogether, which is even better.

Baruch

Since 1963, the CIA/FBI have their dicks up the ass of the DNC and RNC.  They have seen the real Zapruder film.  Y'all are slaves.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on May 14, 2018, 01:41:53 PM
Julián Castro and John Hickenlooper.
Castro and Hickenlooper will have immediate name recognition.  You may not know who they are or what they look like, or what they even stand for, but people will remember their names, probably not to their advantage, however.

Unbeliever

I don't know, it just seems hard to think of a president named Hickenlooper. I don't know if American voters will be gung ho for a candidate with a four syllable name. I don't think we've ever had one.

[edit]
Oops! I just remembered Eisenhower. So we've had one out of 45 with a four syllable name. The odds do seem stacked against Hickenlooper, though.
[/edit]
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 16, 2018, 01:43:35 PM
I don't know, it just seems hard to think of a president named Hickenlooper. I don't know if American voters will be gung ho for a candidate with a four syllable name. I don't think we've ever had one.
Eisenhower.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 16, 2018, 01:47:20 PM
Damn, you beat me to it! lol
Presidential trivia was a thing of mine when I was younger.  :)

We have had nine monosyllabic Presidential surnames (Polk, Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Taft, Ford, Bush, Bush and You-Know-Who)... for the most part they have run the gamut from the ineffectual to the disastrous, ranking on average 29th out of 44 (counting Cleveland as two terms but one President).

As it turns out, there's an inverse relationship between name length and average ranking -- monosyllabics average 28.89/44, bisyllabics (22 total) average 23.54/44, trisyllabics (12 total) average 17/44, and the lone tetrasyllabic President has an aggregate ranking of 8/44.

Which is more amusing than meaningful, probably.  Just fun with statistics, I can't think of any plausible connection.