From the Democratic National Committee

Started by SGOS, May 13, 2018, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I've been wondering about this.  Who should run in 2020? To be honest, I know nothing about several of these people.  Oprah Winfrey???  Are they being serious or is the Party in that much trouble?  Running a media schmotz like Donald Trump may appeal to Republican voters, but I don't think that kind of appeal works for discerning liberals.  And if anything at all, Democrats need to stop acting like Republicans and get back to their roots. 

Most of the names I actually recognize are the political good old boys, but I would prefer someone trustworthy and honest, someone who is committed to the average American.  But I'm not sure I could recognize a dedicated statesman if I saw one. 

Brauch, notice, Hillary is not on the list.  You can stop letting Hillary take up space in your head.  You know you can stop obsessing on her when she's been dropped and Oprah has been added.  Hillary is NOT a factor.

Who should run for President in 2020?
Select all the Democrats you could support for President against Donald Trump in 2020. 

Joe Biden, former Vice President
Cory Booker, New Jersey Senator
Julian Castro, former HUD Secretary
Andrew Cuomo, New York Governor
Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles Mayor
Kirsten Gillibrand, New York Senator
Kamala Harris, California Senator
Eric Holder, former Attorney General
John Hickenlooper, Colorado Governor
Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota Senator
Deval Patrick, former Massachusetts Governor
Bernie Sanders, Vermont Senator
Tom Steyer, Environmental and Trump Impeachment advocate
Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts Senator
Oprah Winfrey, Media Entrepreneur

None of the above - I support Donald Trump

Blackleaf

Honestly, I think people underestimate Oprah's chances. A lot of people love her, and she has many years of good will built up. I think as far as female candidates go, her chances would be better than any who ran before her, and you know the chance of getting our first woman President would appeal to some people. I would prefer Bernie Sanders myself, though. It all depends on who the super delegates choose, but I really think super delegates should stop being a thing.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Right off the top of my head, I'd go for Elizabeth Warren.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

"discerning liberals" = Bernie Bros?  How can the corruption of political power be overcome?  Superdelegates is enough reason for me not to be a Democrat, on procedural grounds.  I could have taken Bernie Sanders seriously in 2016, but the D-party is like ancient Egypt, they will run even an embalmed Hillary ;-(  No wonder zombie TV shows are so popular.

Julian Castro is interesting (Hispanic and Texan) ;-)  He has an identical twin brother who can act as decoy.

John Hickenlooper is funny, I would vote for him as President, just so we can have President Hickenlooper ;-)

Tulsi Gabbard is interesting (woman and Hindu), served in National Guard medical unit in Kuwait ... so my kind of person

Keith Ellison is interesting (Muslim expelled from the DNC)

Anyone who is anti-war of choice (but not pacifist) is a winner.

But no, the D-party will run Oprah Winfrey to get the woman and Black vote, and for name recognition.

The two major parties can't fall into the dustbin of history soon enough.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Yeah, Oprah has a following.  My Sister in Chicago loves her.  Partly because she's a hometown girl, and partly it's just my sister.  Oprah's heart might be in the right place, but she has no credentials.  I think that matters to liberals, but maybe not.  She might have more popularity than other primary candidates, but I'm not sure she's the best candidate to field in the general election.  I guess I'd need to know who all the primary candidates will be first.  And having said that, I don't have anyone in mind that I would heartily support from a strategic standpoint at this time.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 13, 2018, 11:32:22 AM
Yeah, Oprah has a following.  My Sister in Chicago loves her.  Partly because she's a hometown girl, and partly it's just my sister.  Oprah's heart might be in the right place, but she has no credentials.  I think that matters to liberals, but maybe not.  She might have more popularity than other primary candidates, but I'm not sure she's the best candidate to field in the general election.  I guess I'd need to know who all the primary candidates will be first.  And having said that, I don't have anyone in mind that I would heartily support from a strategic standpoint at this time.

Joe Biden was the real President under Obama, just as Cheney was the real President under Shrub, and Pence is the real President under Trump.  The CIA picks them for the "pseudo-candidate".  So Winfrey doesn't have to be qualified.  Reagan wasn't ... but when I was a young-un .. I could vote for a Hollywood figure, I don't think I can again.  How about Robert Downey Jr, as Ironman President?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I'm not going to give this topic serious thought until it is closer to the primaries, and I don't want to hear the word Christmas mentioned until at least after Thanksgiving.

I don't want Oprah as POTUS because I don't want another completely unqualified and inexperienced person in office. It's odd to me that no one would hire a person with no management experience or business education to be CEO of Amazon but are perfectly fine with having someone run the country-- make major decisions in the military, foreign policy, taxes and such-- based on congeniality and shared values. The solution to a white, male, unqualified, celebrity president who is a master at branding isn't a black, female, unqualified celebrity president who is a master of branding.

SGOS

I don't follow Oprah at all.  My sister would leave the television on for me when she left for work, a nice gesture so I could watch Oprah, I suppose, but as soon as she left I would turn off the TV.  There was nothing of interest that time of day, and Oprah least of all.  Does anyone know where Oprah stands on:

Environmental issues
     Wilderness
     Logging
     Mining
     Privatizing Public Lands
     Carbon emissions
Women's choice
Real national healthcare
Redistricting in Chicago (by Democrats)
Immigration
Preferential treatment for Christianity
Gay issues
Campaign finance reform
Gun control
Education at all levels

I could make assumptions on these and others, but I really have no idea.  Is she really interested in running?

Poison Tree

I like Hickenlooper as governor, but doubt he has the national exposure for a presidential run.
I wish Biden had run last time, would have preferred him over Clinton. Like a lot about him, think he could challenge Trump for "white working class", but worried about his age and tendency to say stupid things.
Sanders seems like a one note guy with a crazy devoted following; Democratic Ron Paul.
Warren was Sanders before Sanders, seems more well rounded. Obvious line of attacks on 'Pocahontas' and liberal elite.
I wouldn't rule out Tim Kaine making a run.

I'd submit Tammy Duckworth as a dark-horse. Lack of experience vs compelling personnel narrative. Get ready for another round of debates over "natural born citizen"
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Mermaid

Oprah won't run for president, it's an idiotic idea.
I think Biden will be the guy, but we shall see. I'll remember to go back to this thread in a year and a half.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

Joe Biden seems to be an absolutely wonderful human being, so he would certainly be my first choice.

Julian Castro did a good job in San Antonio, and he is Latino, so he is my second pick.

After that... ehhh...

I'm more concerned about getting people like Pelosi and Schumer out of power, because the "old guard" of Democrats are holding the party back severely. The party has gotten too old, rich and out of touch with the constituents they claim to represent (minorities, the working class, younger populations, etc.) to be able to really spark any excitement with their core.

I think that is why the Democrats have done so poorly... people of my generation and social class have to vote against Republicans rather than for Democrats, and that isn't the best way to get people to the booths.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on May 13, 2018, 02:04:46 PM
I think that is why the Democrats have done so poorly... people of my generation and social class have to vote against Republicans rather than for Democrats, and that isn't the best way to get people to the booths.

What are your thoughts on Bernie Sanders?

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 13, 2018, 02:08:22 PM
I would have voted for him.  I'm not sure he could have beat Trump. If it's true that Trump won because a lot of Democrats stayed home (the only musing from a pollster I've heard as to why they got the prediction wrong), Sanders may have won.  A lot of his supporters were younger and may NOT have been energized by the old school Democratic Party.  It depends on whether the Hillary backers would have stayed home if Sanders had he won the nomination.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on May 13, 2018, 01:28:03 PM
Oprah won't run for president, it's an idiotic idea.
I think Biden will be the guy, but we shall see. I'll remember to go back to this thread in a year and a half.

Biden already President under Obama (see Ukraine) ... but he could run, he certainly has the experience ;-))  But aren't we getting like Russia, where Medvedev and Putin trade off ... offices?

Bernie would have won, but he was paid to get screwed over, as the Un-Hillary in the primaries, as Hillary was supposed to be the Un-Trump in the general election.  Biden is deep state, same as John Kerry.  So he would be acceptable to the spooks.

Tammy Duckworth - definitely a good pick ... anyone who has combat experience and who has learned something from it.  McCaine isn't a good example.

Lithmus test issues don't matter, because once in office, they never govern that way.  If I were running for office, I would make no promises at all.  I would say, all depends on future circumstances.  I will apply my ability to taking advantage of those future circumstances, in favor of the common good.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 13, 2018, 02:08:22 PM

I love him politically, but I feel he agrees too much with me on "leftist" ideology and thus would make an inefficient politician; without the support of the Senate and House (with both parties currently leaning to the right) his hands would be heavily tied on how much he would actually be able to accomplish. I also haven't seen much to convince me he has any actual political power to get other politicians to bend to his will either.

Unless my generation and progressives get out, run for office and vote... a Sanders presidency would be more of a disappointment than an achievement I am afraid. The DNC showed they are not particularly interested in his ideology with how heavily they supported Hillary at the cost of Bernie (who polled better than her), and obviously the GOP has no interest in working with him. He has to have sympathetic politicians around him to be truly effective, and that's just not where we are at at this moment.

I feel he would lead to deeper fractures between the left and the right and lead to even more partisanship. If we get a "leftist" for president, we either need a sympathetic House and Senate or a president who can drag both parties, even if they are kicking and screaming, to their agenda. I just cant see the Legislative cooperating with him, nor him having the force of will to bend them to his ideology, so any law he manages to get through would be implemented half-assedly... and then both sides will just point and blame the other.

That said, I would have voted for him in a heartbeat over Trump, and voted for him in the primaries over Hillary. He wouldn't have been any worse than the current situation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur