Reading the Bible literally or literately

Started by GSOgymrat, May 09, 2018, 11:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Wow, that came out of left field! Barbara Feldon was one of the prettiest ladies ever, and a really funny actress, too. Her character (agent 99) on that show was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6i3rMt0Io8
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 09, 2018, 02:44:49 PM
Wow, that came out of left field! Barbara Feldon was one of the prettiest ladies ever, and a really funny actress, too. Her character (agent 99) on that show was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6i3rMt0Io8

Thank you!  I was 15 when Get Smart arrived.  Agent 99 taught me (among a few other female stars at the time) that women were capable, intelligent, and determined.  Hey, I WAS only 15.  I never forgot that though.  Agent 99 was always the "smart" side of the duo, and I learned to love that.  When I started a career, I assumed the same from my female co-workers.  And that mattered to me.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 02:38:55 PM
Well, you sure have an impressive ancestor.

It's by marriage, so it isn't like I have literary blood in my veins.

Complete tangent: Because of this conversation I went to my filing cabinet to look at my family history. In the folder I found my father's baby book which I thought I had accidentally given away in a box of books several years ago. He was born in 1923 and the book documented his growth chart, photos, first words and such. I was absolutely sick I had lost it and I'm so happy to have found it! Thanks to Unbeliever for quoting Mark Twain.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 09, 2018, 03:10:52 PM
It's by marriage, so it isn't like I have literary blood in my veins.

Complete tangent: Because of this conversation I went to my filing cabinet to look at my family history. In the folder I found my father's baby book which I thought I had accidentally given away in a box of books several years ago. He was born in 1923 and the book documented his growth chart, photos, first words and such. I was absolutely sick I had lost it and I'm so happy to have found it! Thanks to Unbeliever for quoting Mark Twain.

Sometimes the value in these discussion boards is the subjects being discussed.  Sometimes it is the connections we make in our minds,  I'm glad that anything here led you to such a connection.  I'm working on a family genealogy based on what my Dad left me for records a few years before he died in 2014 at 92.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 09, 2018, 01:52:07 PM
I've also read that the fig was the symbol of a rival cult, that of Mithras, and so cursing the fig tree was a symbol of Christianity's conquest of that cult. There may have been multiple meanings, since those mystery cults had several layers for the initiates to pass through.

My grandfather was a Shriner ... y'all don't know nuttin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

On the topic of the Bible, I just finished listening to a podcast with Sam Harris and Bart Ehrmin. As a non-Christian, I found it very educational.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/what-is-christianity/

In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks to Bart Ehrman about his experience of being a born-again Christian, his academic training in New Testament scholarship, his loss of faith, the most convincing argument in defense of Christianity, the status of miracles, the composition of the New Testament, the resurrection of Jesus, the nature of heaven and hell, the book of Revelation, the End Times, self-contradictions in the Bible, the concept of a messiah, whether Jesus actually existed, Christianity as a cult of human sacrifice, the conversion of Constantine, and other topics.

Bart D. Ehrman is the author or editor of more than thirty books, including the New York Times bestsellers Misquoting Jesus and How Jesus Became God. Ehrman is a professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and a leading authority on the New Testament and the history of early Christianity. He has been featured in Time, The New Yorker, and The Washington Post, and has appeared on NBC, CNN, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The History Channel, National Geographic, BBC, major NPR shows, and other top print and broadcast media outlets. His most recent book is The Triumph of Christianity.

Baruch

Ehrman is very good, at least with the post-Constantine period.

Quote from book review of "How Jesus Became God"

"Only when some of Jesus’s followers had visions of him after his deathâ€"alive againâ€"did anyone come to think that he, the prophet from Galilee, had become God. And what they meant by that was not at all what people mean today."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 10, 2018, 04:33:41 PM
On the topic of the Bible, I just finished listening to a podcast with Sam Harris and Bart Ehrmin. As a non-Christian, I found it very educational.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/what-is-christianity/

In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks to Bart Ehrman about his experience of being a born-again Christian, his academic training in New Testament scholarship, his loss of faith, the most convincing argument in defense of Christianity, the status of miracles, the composition of the New Testament, the resurrection of Jesus, the nature of heaven and hell, the book of Revelation, the End Times, self-contradictions in the Bible, the concept of a messiah, whether Jesus actually existed, Christianity as a cult of human sacrifice, the conversion of Constantine, and other topics.

Bart D. Ehrman is the author or editor of more than thirty books, including the New York Times bestsellers Misquoting Jesus and How Jesus Became God. Ehrman is a professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and a leading authority on the New Testament and the history of early Christianity. He has been featured in Time, The New Yorker, and The Washington Post, and has appeared on NBC, CNN, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The History Channel, National Geographic, BBC, major NPR shows, and other top print and broadcast media outlets. His most recent book is The Triumph of Christianity.

From my readings, if you are arguing against Sam Harris, you are likely to be very wrong.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 12, 2018, 04:59:44 AM
From my readings, if you are arguing against Sam Harris, you are likely to be very wrong.

We all have favorite speakers.  But it isn't idolatry to favor someone (that is GIA's misuse of English).  Hero-worshipping in fact.  But all hero's have clay feet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I had a hero sandwich with clay feet just the other day...it was kind of gritty.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 12, 2018, 02:08:26 PM
Yeah, I had a hero sandwich with clay feet just the other day...it was kind of gritty.

That actually happens.  My best HS friend and I ate at a seafood restaurant, next to the movie theater, before seeing Star Wars for the first time (and second time, we snuck into the second showing and didn't pay).  My friend ordered clams, but they forgot to take the sand out ... food fail!  I am guilty of laughing at that, at the time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 09, 2018, 12:18:22 PM
Many scholars believe that the earliest written Gospel, Mark, was a fictional story for a mystery religion. Mystery religions were all about hidden knowledge, where those on the inside understand the true meaning of their stories.
And they are still inventing them, Scientology, phrenology, numerology, and the Masons.  People love mystery, magic spells, and being a part of the in group.  I was into magic spells until I was around six.  I didn't believe in them exactly, but I used to wish they were real.  Because they're fun.  Most people gain a modicum of belief and respect for reality as they grow older, but not completely.  There's that longing for magic just below the surface waiting to be rekindled, and when some charismatic charlatan like Joseph Smith, Deepak Chopra, or just an ordinary hometown pastor down the street shows up and tells people it's OK to believe in magic there's a seductive tendency already wired into our brains.  Because it's fun.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 03:05:39 PM
Agent 99 taught me (among a few other female stars at the time) that women were capable, intelligent, and determined.  Agent 99 was always the "smart" side of the duo
But she needed Max in order for her to be the smart one, which doesn't help the feminist cause much.  My favorite stupid thing about that show was CONTROL's solution to the absolute need for strict secrecy, the seldom activated "cone of silence."  I used to wait through several episodes wanting them to activate the "cone."  I always knew what the outcome would be, but it never got old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtPPWi6OMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNR9FnxOdY

Cavebear

The Jehovah Witnesses have stopped banging on my door.  I sat down and talked to them one day months ago and asked them if they had any proof  there had actually been a Jesus at all.  That shocked them.  I haven't bothered to speak to one since.  They left a silly pamphlet quoting the Bible once. so I used it to start my charcoal in the smoker grill.