Sweden allows mosque to call for prayer in controversial move

Started by Sal1981, May 08, 2018, 12:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Outside of the US, you have no civil rights (the owners won't permit it).  This is also true in the US, only we are less honest about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Hijiri Byakuren

They got a license, it's only once a week, and overall quite above the board. I don't see how this is controversial.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 14, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
They got a license, it's only once a week, and overall quite above the board. I don't see how this is controversial.

Pr126 thinks it is discriminatory.  Another provided evidence it isn't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

One rule to apply to all equally, and that rule also be not breaking decibel norms for the community.

"Thou shalt NOT make noise beyond your property lines... "

(Unless you are mowing your lawn in daytime)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 17, 2018, 02:35:10 AM
One rule to apply to all equally, and that rule also be not breaking decibel norms for the community.

"Thou shalt NOT make noise beyond your property lines... "

(Unless you are mowing your lawn in daytime)

Generally I would agree, but given current Muslim practice, it would get your head cut off.  Also all Muslims are special, so the laws don't apply to them, only to Dhimmis and Infidels.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 17, 2018, 07:40:48 AM
Generally I would agree, but given current Muslim practice, it would get your head cut off.  Also all Muslims are special, so the laws don't apply to them, only to Dhimmis and Infidels.
This is not strictly a Muslim thing.  You can replace "Muslim" with "Christian", and "Christian" with "Self righteous," and it still works.  The West sees Islam as a religion that takes special privilege to a fanatical extreme, probably because it looks like it does, but it's just the old in-group majority pushing itself on everyone else, punctuated with occasional short episodes of cruel and unusual violence against imagined offenses.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2018, 08:08:56 AM
This is not strictly a Muslim thing.  You can replace "Muslim" with "Christian", and "Christian" with "Self righteous," and it still works.  The West sees Islam as a religion that takes special privilege to a fanatical extreme, probably because it looks like it does, but it's just the old in-group majority pushing itself on everyone else, punctuated with occasional short episodes of cruel and unusual violence against imagined offenses.

Now I agree that any religious groups are like that, it can't be ignored the fact that a secular society has formed in countries there christian theocracy was once the ruling school of thought, but has died down now over the centuries for a secular way of living, where as in the middle east its theocracy is very much the only thing that matters and defying it is meet with death penalty in some of them.

Its why atheism has becomes so much more prevalent in western countries because once Christianity was a governing force and ruled for so long, when it finally settled down and the populations grew, education, industry, it allowed said societies to function without the need for the religious rules, and with government calling the shots, not deified leaders, it allowed for non religious systems to grow, and why we aren't just atheists now, but can be so without fear of death here.

I think, the biggest problem this creates is in a secular country, belief systems are a mixed bag and anyone can believe what they want. But when a large body of one such theocratic followers comes a knocking, in its unified belief, theres a risk of takeover, since the people already in the secular country aren't governed by an insane theocratic system themselves. And religion does indeed make people on mass into a stampede of drooling baboons.

This is why Christianity was able to wipe out so many smaller religious systems like ancient greek or northern European ones.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Europe was under Roman occupation.  When the emperor said ... be Christian, it wasn't a suggestion.  When King Clovis in early France converted to Catholicism, and suppressed both the pagans and the Arian Christians ... it was because he carried a big stick.  Very few people after 325 converted voluntarily.  Of course there had always been and continued to be ... door to door Watchtower salesmen ;-)  Without the Roman empire ... and a State run church, people would have continued as they had been, some people coming into the churches, other people leaving.  Freedom.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2018, 08:08:56 AM

Well, in the sense of making a lot of noise about their "call to prayers" , Moslems do.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 02:40:22 AM
Well, in the sense of making a lot of noise about their "call to prayers" , Moslems do.
I appreciate the pun, so don't think I missed it, but like Christians that want shove their religion in everyone else's faces, Muslims probably justify their actions as "good for others" as well.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 19, 2018, 05:59:00 AM
I appreciate the pun, so don't think I missed it, but like Christians that want shove their religion in everyone else's faces, Muslims probably justify their actions as "good for others" as well.

I need the noise from neither.  It is as if I stood at my property line in Summer and soaked everyone passing by with my garden hose "because I thought it good for them to be cooled down (whether they wanted it of not)".  I mean after all, I knew what was best for them, how could they object?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 07:49:09 AM
I need the noise from neither.  It is as if I stood at my property line in Summer and soaked everyone passing by with my garden hose "because I thought it good for them to be cooled down (whether they wanted it of not)".  I mean after all, I knew what was best for them, how could they object?

Evangelists and do gooders have been doing this since Buddha.  Socrates was just helping out, by pointing out to you that he is a genius and you are an idiot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Munch on May 17, 2018, 09:50:11 AM
Now I agree that any religious groups are like that, it can't be ignored the fact that a secular society has formed in countries there christian theocracy was once the ruling school of thought, but has died down now over the centuries for a secular way of living, where as in the middle east its theocracy is very much the only thing that matters and defying it is meet with death penalty in some of them.

Its why atheism has becomes so much more prevalent in western countries because once Christianity was a governing force and ruled for so long, when it finally settled down and the populations grew, education, industry, it allowed said societies to function without the need for the religious rules, and with government calling the shots, not deified leaders, it allowed for non religious systems to grow, and why we aren't just atheists now, but can be so without fear of death here.

I think, the biggest problem this creates is in a secular country, belief systems are a mixed bag and anyone can believe what they want. But when a large body of one such theocratic followers comes a knocking, in its unified belief, theres a risk of takeover, since the people already in the secular country aren't governed by an insane theocratic system themselves. And religion does indeed make people on mass into a stampede of drooling baboons.

This is why Christianity was able to wipe out so many smaller religious systems like ancient greek or northern European ones.
(bold mine]

a thousand years ago, this was the case in Faroe Islands, where Christianity converted in the way of the sword; either you converted to Christianity or you got your head lopped off. Before that, the old Nordic gods were worshiped.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 22, 2018, 06:54:01 AM
(bold mine]

a thousand years ago, this was the case in Faroe Islands, where Christianity converted in the way of the sword; either you converted to Christianity or you got your head lopped off. Before that, the old Nordic gods were worshiped.

Yeah those Christians sure were reprobates too.  Its not like I have love for them either.