Sweden allows mosque to call for prayer in controversial move

Started by Sal1981, May 08, 2018, 12:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/05/08/sweden-allows-mosque-to-call-for-prayer-in-controversial-move.html

It's in the city Växjö, there's a better article on BT.dk, but that's in Danish so I'll spare you that one.

Basically they applied to be able to broadcast (under 110db) a call to prayer once a week between 13:00 and 13:03 and it's valid for one year. This is the 3rd similar license that has been given, elsewhere in the country.

Since it's just once a week I don't see the big deal, plus they've gotten a license for this from the Swedish police.

Baruch

Noise pollution, and non-Muslims have a right to not be offended ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I'm not familiar with a call to prayer. Is this significantly different than church bells?

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 08, 2018, 12:47:19 PM
I'm not familiar with a call to prayer. Is this significantly different than church bells?

Much louder ... and usually the sound system used is poor (at least in poor countries).  A human calling it out is melodic and pleasant to my ears.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Baruch on May 08, 2018, 12:49:02 PM
Much louder ... and usually the sound system used is poor (at least in poor countries).  A talented human calling it out is melodic and pleasant to my ears.

110 decibels is pretty loud ...

http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml

And yes, some people object to any noise, including lawn mowers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Here, you'll love it. Especially at 4 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLaUCAQlQQ

SGOS

I would find it annoying, but I could handle it.  If I had total control I would forbid it.  I do not find it pleasant or melodic.  It just sounds like another wacko with a loud speaker to me.

Baruch

I've heard better.  Jewish cantors fall in love with their own voice too, but they sing indoors.

It was much easier in pre-modern times ... there were small mosques everywhere, not giant ones, and the muezzin could do his job without amplification.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

If they allow churches other than the Church of Sweden to ring their bells for services, I don't see how they can prohibit it.  And it seems a reasonable compromise -- they're only issuing one call in the middle of the day once a week, not all five from dawn to dusk every day.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 08, 2018, 12:37:14 PM
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/05/08/sweden-allows-mosque-to-call-for-prayer-in-controversial-move.html

It's in the city Växjö, there's a better article on BT.dk, but that's in Danish so I'll spare you that one.

Basically they applied to be able to broadcast (under 110db) a call to prayer once a week between 13:00 and 13:03 and it's valid for one year. This is the 3rd similar license that has been given, elsewhere in the country.

Since it's just once a week I don't see the big deal, plus they've gotten a license for this from the Swedish police.

Is it a noise issue or a religious one?  It makes a difference if considered objectively.  If there was some atheist HQ next to me and they insisted on playing some loud noise of any kind, I would object as much.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on May 09, 2018, 01:16:25 AM
If they allow churches other than the Church of Sweden to ring their bells for services, I don't see how they can prohibit it.  And it seems a reasonable compromise -- they're only issuing one call in the middle of the day once a week, not all five from dawn to dusk every day.

Most churches only ring once a week.  Monasteries would ring more than once a day "office of the hours" which is why early mechanical clocks were invented.  To synchronize the monks, not the military.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Rightly so. The precedent is set. Clever lot.
(The camel's foot in the tent.)

After permission in Växjö, Swedish Muslims now want to send calls to prayer all over the country

QuoteGetting permission for the call to prayer in Växjö was just the beginning for Sweden’s Muslims. While a clear majority of Swedes are against broadcasting the Call to Prayer, Muslims now seem to want them all over the country, Fria Tider reports.

Avdi Islami, spokesman of Växjö’s Muslim Foundation, explains that he wants more mosques to do the same as in Växjö and apply for permission for prayer calls, so that the Muslim message can be heard across the country.

“We want to call out at more places. There are many Muslims who are Swedish citizens, who have the same rights as everyone else,” he says.

At the same time, Islami says the intention is not to “disturb” anyone. According to him, however, Sweden must respect that people have “different messages”. He denies that Swedes fear that Islam is now spreading in the country.

Today there are Calls to Prayer in three places in Sweden â€" Karlskrona, Fittja and now last in Växjö. On Tuesday, the police announced that they accepted Växjö Muslim’s application to send prayer calls via speakers at the local mosque once a week, every Friday.

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on May 12, 2018, 10:55:52 PM
Rightly so. The precedent is set. Clever lot.
Certainly.  No one should be surprised.  Muslim leaders would call the flock to prayer daily everywhere if they are allowed and will continue to press for more obedience and conformity among their following.  It's a religion.  Duh?!  And it's also a political system seeking control of the governing body, because that's what religious political systems are designed to do.  Put the two together and you get a theocracy, a politically controlling religion with cult origins that demands rigid conformity.  And even where they become a philosophical majority, they whine for more conformity and lust to control.

You don't have to go to Europe to see it happen.  Come to the US to watch Christianity struggling to gain control of the government and to enact governmental regulation of non Christians rights.  George Bush pushed for a Constitutional amendment to prevent gays from getting married.  Christianity has installed many political leaders who want even more.  A seat in the Supreme Court when Republicans are in control requires strict religious indoctrination.  Don't bother to apply otherwise.  There are good reasons to fear political power from dominant religions.  All lust for restrictions of freedom.

pr126

Sweden: Church calls forbidden in town were mosque is allowed to air 110dB Islamic call to prayer
QuoteThursday we’ve reported on that the mosque in Sweden’s Växjö received permission to broadcast their call to prayer. But when the St. Michael’s Church applied for a wake-up call for church services in the same city, they received a ‘no’, newspaper Smålandsposten reports.

According to priest Ingvar Fogelqvist, the town rejected his requests to ring the bell because the sound of it could “disturb the area”. Fogelqvist’s requests were two times rejected two times: In the 1990s and again in the early 2000s.

He believes that the ringing is a nice old Christian tradition that his church would like to be able to use and it “would make the Catholic Church a bit more visible here in the community”.

After the local mosque is now allowed to broadcast its 110 decibels Calls to Prayer, the church may now apply to ring bells outside. Fogelqvist tells Metro newspaper:

“It is a matter of fairness and with the decision granting the mosque permission to do a call to prayer, we have discussed the possibility of applying again.”