Majority of U.S. Muslims Now Support Gay Marriage

Started by GSOgymrat, May 07, 2018, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I would be interested to see a survey of attitudes towards gay marriage in different countries broken down by religion. Only about one percent of Americans are Muslim.

Majority of U.S. Muslims Now Support Gay Marriage, While White Evangelical Christians Remain Opposed

http://www.newsweek.com/muslim-white-evangelical-gay-marriage-907627

Opposition to same-sex marriage has decreased across a broad swath of religious groups in the United States, with white evangelical Christians one of the few movements for which a majority remains in opposition. Three years on from the Supreme Court ruling that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry, the findings from the Public Religion Research Institute’s 2017 American Values Atlas, published Tuesday, showed growing support for LGBT rights, including a majority of U.S. Muslims backing same-sex marriage for the first time.

Muslims, by a margin of 51 percent to 34 percent, favor same-sex marriage, compared to just four years ago when a majority, 51 percent, were opposed. There were similar results for black Protestants, with 54 percent opposing gay marriage in PRRI’s 2014 American Values Atlas, compared with 43 percent in the latest findings.

Indeed, opposition to same-sex marriage is now limited almost entirely to white conservative Christians. Fifty-eight percent of white evangelical Christians and 53 percent of Mormonsâ€"an overwhelming majority of whom are whiteâ€"are opposed to allowing gay couples to marry. The group with the most opposition, though, is Jehovah’s Witnesses, a group which is 36 percent white, 32 percent Hispanic and 27 percent black in the U.S. Just 13 percent support the law.

As a whole, 63 percent of Americans now back allowing same-sex couples to marry, up from 52 percent four years ago. All major racial groups now have a majority in favor. Republicans, though, remain opposed, 51 percent to 42 percent.

Baruch

I would suspect that Buddhist countries are more relaxed on gay marriage, same as Hindus.  Abrahamics of course are reflexively opposed.  But that is just a guess.  More secular countries are probably also more relaxed.  But hard to say, for example Russia, where Putin is supposed to be very anti-gay.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Just at the face of it I am extremely skeptical about that tactics used in collecting this data - or if the data is even being accurately represented. Islam the ideology is fundamentally opposed to homosexuality - and all its adherents who I've heard speak on the subject never even try to hide this.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 07, 2018, 06:06:30 PM
Just at the face of it I am extremely skeptical about that tactics used in collecting this data - or if the data is even being accurately represented. Islam the ideology is fundamentally opposed to homosexuality - and all its adherents who I've heard speak on the subject never even try to hide this.

Polls lie, and not just in elections or in Warsaw.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 07, 2018, 06:06:30 PM

I can only do the same and use anecdotal examples... all the Muslims I have talked to that the topic came up (not very many) have also been openly opposed to homosexuality, but I also think all of them agreed that it was not their business and shouldn't be the states' either. I think they realised you cant ask to be treated equally while saying other people shouldn't be treated equally as well (even if you disagree with them).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Not to derail the thread, but this is the first time I ever looked up the definition of Evangelical Christian.  Who are those people really?  Well, no one seems to know, not even Billy Graham, and he even admitted it.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/evangelical-christian/418236/

So how does the poll determine what an Evangelical is, so that they can compare them to regular Christians?

According to Wiki 
QuoteEvangelical Christianity, or evangelical Protestantism,[a] is a worldwide, crossdenominational movement within Protestant Christianity which maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ's atonement.
If you accept this definition as correct, even though it seems to be widely contested, how does Evangelical Christianity differ from Christianity?

SGOS

Every time I read the latest poll about the gay movement, I feel a recurring surprise.  It wasn't overnight, although sometimes it seems like it.  I first became aware of the political movement back in 1970, and who knows how much earlier it was going on?  A lot of work with little progress took place during the first 40 years I was aware of it.  I thought it would never gain popular support, and then it finally crossed a threshold and its momentum is accelerating every year since then.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 07, 2018, 06:39:06 PM
I can only do the same and use anecdotal examples... all the Muslims I have talked to that the topic came up (not very many) have also been openly opposed to homosexuality, but I also think all of them agreed that it was not their business and shouldn't be the states' either. I think they realised you cant ask to be treated equally while saying other people shouldn't be treated equally as well (even if you disagree with them).

Some Muslims eat pork (I just read an anecdote on that from Britain).  So all Muslims eat pork.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 07, 2018, 03:11:59 PM
I would be interested to see a survey of attitudes towards gay marriage in different countries broken down by religion. Only about one percent of Americans are Muslim.
Your wish is my command.

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/attitudes-on-same-sex-marriage-by-religious-affiliation-and-denominational-family/ (circa 2015, 28% of white evangelicals favored or strongly favored legalizing same sex marriage.  For muslims, that number was 42%)

Also, I found this:

Turns out Americans evangelicals are more interested in sharia than American muslims :P

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2018, 07:18:44 PM
Not to derail the thread, but this is the first time I ever looked up the definition of Evangelical Christian.  Who are those people really?  Well, no one seems to know, not even Billy Graham, and he even admitted it.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/evangelical-christian/418236/

So how does the poll determine what an Evangelical is, so that they can compare them to regular Christians?

According to Wiki  If you accept this definition as correct, even though it seems to be widely contested, how does Evangelical Christianity differ from Christianity?

There is the Great Commission and the Great Commandment.  Evangelicals (including Catholic ones) emphasize the Great Commission. Aka evangelism.  sheesh!  If there were a group call Satanic Christians you could easily deduce that they worship Judas Iscariot as the true Messiah.

The Great Commandment is ... love each other as I loved you ... BTW.

The first missioning religion was Buddhism.  A few Jews tried it, but it didn't work out well, until Gentile management staged a takeover.  Christian evangelism went hand in hand with Late Roman Conquest.  By that time the Sassanian Persians had gotten the bug (actually 50 years before Constantine) and invented Evangelical Zoroastrianism.  Before that it had been a royal cult only.  Pagan Arabs were hit from both sides by Evangelical Byzantines and Evangelical Sassaninds ... and invited Islam off of that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
Every time I read the latest poll about the gay movement, I feel a recurring surprise.  It wasn't overnight, although sometimes it seems like it.  I first became aware of the political movement back in 1970, and who knows how much earlier it was going on?  A lot of work with little progress took place during the first 40 years I was aware of it.  I thought it would never gain popular support, and then it finally crossed a threshold and its momentum is accelerating every year since then.

Stonewall .. but that was for Drag Queens, in 1969.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
I read about it in the early 2000s, basically had a "no duh" reaction, and waited and waited for the issue to finally be resolved.  Almost half of my life was filled with people flipping out over what to me was a non-issue.  It was an agonizingly slow process from my perspective.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 07, 2018, 08:40:18 PM
I read about it in the early 2000s, basically had a "no duh" reaction, and waited and waited for the issue to finally be resolved.  Almost half of my life was filled with people flipping out over what to me was a non-issue.  It was an agonizingly slow process from my perspective.

And when the Muslims take over ... at least in Europe, you can forget any progress you made in the last 500 years.  Liberal manifest destiny is straight out of Karl Marx.  Hope y'all had a good birthday party for that loser.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Wow!  Out of 15 religious groups, only two have a majority that supports service discrimination by private business.  I'd consider that a rout.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 07, 2018, 08:47:33 PM
Wow!  Out of 15 religious groups, only two have a majority that supports service discrimination by private business.  I'd consider that a rout.

In the US, service discrimination is illegal ... unless you are a private country club.  What Christians want to do, is selective ignoring of the law.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.