News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

You cannot define Truth

Started by Baruch, May 06, 2018, 03:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on May 17, 2018, 01:17:53 AM
But to give Baruch something to pin an argument on...  "Who shot Liberty Valance?"  Where is the truth there?  Have fun...
Probably the same scurvy dog who shot JR.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 17, 2018, 01:38:33 PM
Probably the same scurvy dog who shot JR.

But all the different results in all the parallel universes, not to mention per soap operas, it was just a dream, or a malfunctioning holodeck ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 17, 2018, 01:36:58 PM
When Baruch prays, he's only talking to himself. ;-)

That matches something I have posted before.  Prayer is auto-hypnosis.  Too bad you haven't gotten over the canceled show "My Mother The Car".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vOxPUFF0T0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Not many people even remember that one! I do recall watching it many decades ago, it brings back memories that I just made up. ;-)
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 18, 2018, 01:43:44 PM
Not many people even remember that one! I do recall watching it many decades ago, it brings back memories that I just made up. ;-)

It was unpopular, in spite of staring Dick Van Dike.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I thought it was the other Van Dyke, Jerry.
God Not Found

aitm

"There are truths...millions of them. But humans have climbed the ladder to the pedestal of arrogance, where they claim that "truths" are merely a concept, an illusion, a vision that can only be seen when one opens their mind to the idea that humanity is far more than an animal.....we are "created" and thus....facts and truths are to be bent to a belief that there are greater things that can bend fact and truth...alas...we create our own illusion and truth and ...facts so...there is no such thing as we, each of us, interpret our illusions in our own way"....

said many a brain to a bullet, with no success.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 18, 2018, 06:43:46 PM
I thought it was the other Van Dyke, Jerry.

You are right, it was Dick's younger brother ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on May 18, 2018, 08:15:11 PM
"There are truths...millions of them. But humans have climbed the ladder to the pedestal of arrogance, where they claim that "truths" are merely a concept, an illusion, a vision that can only be seen when one opens their mind to the idea that humanity is far more than an animal.....we are "created" and thus....facts and truths are to be bent to a belief that there are greater things that can bend fact and truth...alas...we create our own illusion and truth and ...facts so...there is no such thing as we, each of us, interpret our illusions in our own way"....

said many a brain to a bullet, with no success.

That was...  "interesting". 

I like some truths.  F=MA, 1+1=2, plane triangle angles add up to 180 degrees, and "Fudd's First Law Of Opposition" (you can't fall off the floor).

Regarding a bullet, recall that Rango told Rattlesnake Jack that he would defeat him with *1* bullet.  And did.  Sort of Maxwell Smart-wise, but he did...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 02:12:23 AM
That was...  "interesting". 

I like some truths.  F=MA, 1+1=2, plane triangle angles add up to 180 degrees, and "Fudd's First Law Of Opposition" (you can't fall off the floor).

Regarding a bullet, recall that Rango told Rattlesnake Jack that he would defeat him with *1* bullet.  And did.  Sort of Maxwell Smart-wise, but he did...

Bonus for mentioning Rango ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hptQDGywkyQ

Ars Verite
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 02:12:23 AM

I like some truths.

There are truths and absolutes as well, and we all know them and recognize them. They only become pliable when one suggests that reality may be illusory whereas reality IS and illusory IS but when one suggests they are interchangeable one uses illusory instead of reality. Whereas the one who claims that reality IS and illusory is not, is using reality. Or something like that.....I think I need another beer....SONOFABITCH!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on May 19, 2018, 02:09:26 PM
There are truths and absolutes as well, and we all know them and recognize them. They only become pliable when one suggests that reality may be illusory whereas reality IS and illusory IS but when one suggests they are interchangeable one uses illusory instead of reality. Whereas the one who claims that reality IS and illusory is not, is using reality. Or something like that.....I think I need another beer....SONOFABITCH!

There's that darn SONOFABITCH brand again.  I asked my local liquor store about it and the couldn't find it in the list.  So I bought an N/A beer and chilled it JUST right at home and tasted it.  Spit it right out and said...

(Get with the program here...)

"SONOFABITCH" that was awful"!  So now we know where it comes from...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

aitm

Your taste in beer...or rather, lack thereof, should suffice to conclude that your opinion on anything...from acne to zinx oxide is irrelevent.

Jason78

const true = 1;
const false = 0;

Computer science is the king of all sciences.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

I think of truth as that which - as far as we are able to discern scientifically - most corresponds to reality.

Now this has some caveats, most notably, anything that has subjective traits. Like, for example, notions of beauty or other sense of general tastes and opinions. Language itself, I think, is insufficient to describe notions of opinion as truth in the subjective and I find no truths in personal experience that cannot be reduced to the objective.

This is most clearly seen in idealized versus the real. We can draw a circle on a piece of paper, but the idealized Circle is just that, something idealized, where the distinction in a drawn circle is, what I call, pixelated and not a "true" circle. A Circle is the abstraction, the drawing something that corresponds to that Circle in the same way something objective is to the subjective. I'll stop now before it becomes too semantical.