News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

You cannot define Truth

Started by Baruch, May 06, 2018, 03:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Fortunately, truth is not critical and even acts as a barrier to knowledge.  Science doesn't deal in truth, but rather in probabilities.  Truth is the domain of theism where truth is used as evidence of the unknowable and the unseen.  It's the pursuit of fools.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 24, 2018, 06:41:42 AM
Fortunately, truth is not critical and even acts as a barrier to knowledge.  Science doesn't deal in truth, but rather in probabilities.  Truth is the domain of theism where truth is used as evidence of the unknowable and the unseen.  It's the pursuit of fools.

In scientific realism, an offshoot of Platonism ... eggheads are discovering another world, thru their minds.  Originally promulgated by Pythagoras and his secret society, in regards to mathematics ... Plato extended this idea to the rest of reality.  Thus the invention of "not a true Scotsman".  The only true Scotsman is the one on the etherial Platonic plane of reality.

Science is empirically driven development of better questions, not better answers.  In that sense, it doesn't see the truth, it seeks to suppress know it all gullibility.  At least per Thomas Kuhn and Karl Popper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on May 23, 2018, 08:48:12 PM
Your taste in beer...or rather, lack thereof, should suffice to conclude that your opinion on anything...from acne to zinx oxide is irrelevent.

You LIKE any N/A beer?  Please tell me which one.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on May 25, 2018, 12:57:38 PM
Do americans make beer?

Well, you might be surprised.  Some of the world's best IPAs are coming from the US these days.  And some serious craft lagers, too.  But if you mean that crap in cans.  NO!

Jason78

Thanks Cavebear.

This merits more research.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on May 27, 2018, 05:07:29 AM
Thanks Cavebear.

This merits more research.
In the last 20 years, small micro breweries have been popping up all over he place.  Few make it onto the national scene, and most remain regional.  By regional, I'm talking about almost small enough to be the "north end of the county."  While the breweries are tiny, they usually make a good impression on the local consumer.  And from what I understand, there is a wide variety of very good quality, but I can't speak from experience.  My drinking ended just about the time these things started popping up.  Even the small town I came from in Montana, population 2,000 has a brewery, which is held in high regard and even hosts community functions.  I'm not talking about drinking contests, but legitimate outreach events by worthwhile causes.

Americans, contrary to what you may think, can recognize bad beer.  Lord knows we've had enough experience.  We drank it because that's all there was.  So I guess that's why these mom and pop breweries caught on.  Beer made by entrepreneurs that cared about making something people would appreciate, not looking to get rich, but just wanting to be part of an industry that was sorely in need of improvement.

Baruch

Logic demonstrates the obvious ... but with rigor ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fU6yyNaB4

You beer drinkers ;-)  I have worked at Coors, I know that all beer comes from piss.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on May 27, 2018, 12:07:35 PM
You beer drinkers ;-)  I have worked at Coors, I know that all beer comes from piss.
From piss it comes, to piss it shall return.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 27, 2018, 05:58:21 PM
From piss it comes, to piss it shall return.
That's a pissy thing to say. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Ah, but what kind of piss? Some piss is much better than other piss. We could just recycle the piss of beer drinkers to make more beer.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 27, 2018, 08:19:34 PM
Ah, but what kind of piss? Some piss is much better than other piss. We could just recycle the piss of beer drinkers to make more beer.

Well, if you want to discuss piss, the best is after you eat asparagus!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 01:50:51 AM
Well, if you want to discuss piss, the best is after you eat asparagus!
That will never happen................I don't eat asparagus.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 29, 2018, 12:18:45 PM
That will never happen................I don't eat asparagus.

Ah you are missing the wonderful smell of asparagine...  But then SOME people like fish eggs...

Emancipated

Title: "You cannot define truth."

If that statement is true, would it not [in part] define truth?